BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: How much do you tip waiters
10% or less 11 7.86%
Around 15% 33 23.57%
Around 20% 84 60.00%
25% or more 12 8.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

10-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #89
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Nah you crazy, like full blown crazy.
No, I am not and you know it. I am just telling the TRUTH. You know what I am saying is true.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #90
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I've traveled in Europe where tipping is not the norm. The service ranged from merely good to absolutely outstanding. Never had bad service in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #91
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

anything you get given, as a reward, payment etc etc etc is income and as such taxable. same goes for gifts at work or from clients. get given a car as a gift, guess what THATS income. All taxable. Depending on your total income the % will vary.

We get given a bonus for hitting certain targets a gift card which in "theory" we should declare, but there is no paper trail (past 5 years) and thats why it is given instead of money so we dont get taxed on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
A server's hourly pay is much less than minimum wage. Min wage is 7.25, here a server makes 2.13 hourly because the tips are expected to make up for it. Also yes, tips are taxed. They're treated just like any other form of income.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #92
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

dude chill TFO

Quote:
It's so fucking simple, we absolutely LOATHE tipping because it is stupid, it just is, there's no defending it. Nearly as bad as the fucking month first when typing a date, it's day/month/year not month/day/year and don't fucking start me on the canadians 'cos as fucked up as the american system is at least they stick to, there's no standard here, it's infuriating.

Why do you complicate your lives so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #93
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
Dude when I was on holiday there, I was in a cab, before paid to get out the driver said, "listen mate, I understand your a brit, but in OZ we don't accept tips, it's not the done thing, so just pay the bill as is"

I replied, "back home we tip cabbies, I'd feel kinda bad if I don't because we had a good chat and you talked me around town as you where driving" I gave him a 20 and said to keep the change.

He was cool about it.

The attitude is, "just pay me for doing my job, nothing more nothing less" If I haven't done my job properly, still pay up, but complain to my boss. If I've done good tell my boss, and I'll get better than a tip
It's so fucking simple, we absolutely LOATHE tipping because it is stupid, it just is, there's no defending it. Nearly as bad as the fucking month first when typing a date, it's day/month/year not month/day/year and don't fucking start me on the canadians 'cos as fucked up as the american system is at least they stick to, there's no standard here, it's infuriating.

Nah it's month first. Day first is stupid. And while we're at it fuck the metric system and it's stupid multiples of 10.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:56 AM   #94
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Former Busser here!

SO I am new here, I don't think I bring much as far as reputation goes around this forum, but I have to respond to Spring1 and a couple other people here who had questions on the hospitality industry. It seems that some people have never worked in the restaurant industry before and have absolute opinions on the industry as if it's the easiest job ever, mistakes shouldn't be made, etc etc.

So I was a busser in Manhattan Beach, California, not too long ago and I had to say, yes the job sucks and the pay is minimum at best. Certain restaurants will pool tips (which is bad) allowing certain servers/bussers to under-perform and still get the same tip amount as everyone else. Other restaurants (higher end) will usually have servers keeping their own tips at their own tables/areas, but at the end of the night or shift they are expected to 'tip out' to the rest of the team (bussers, cooks, food runners, expedite, etc). They can tip a lot if they felt like it or very little.

Also, as far as servers making mistakes--a lot of people are under the impression that it's just the servers that do all the work. The restaurants usually have something called 'seamless service' where it only seems that it's all the work of the server, but fail to realize that there is an orchestrated amount of work going on to get you your food/service. Host/Hostess seats party, server comes to the table to welcome/take orders, chef and line cooks create the meals, food expediter gets food off to the food runner who runs the food to the table and server comes back and of course everyone thought it was all the server who did the work. Well, that's seamless service. So my point is that mistakes can be made and it is not always the servers fault, you would know this if you ever worked in the resturant, SPRING1.

Lastly, you are going to the restaurant for the experience (and of course the food), so if you really feel that tipping is not necessary then I feel like as a server or busser, I could just do the minimum that minimum wage pays me--crappy service. Why should I go above and beyond to bring you what you want? Why should I rush to put in your order? Why why why? If you simply came for me to serve you and give you your food and you're not going to tip me for going the extra mile to make sure you have a really good experience--then I'll just do the bare minimum that is required of me as a server. You could seriously, just stay home and make your own damn food if you are THAT picky. If all you do is complain about something you don't know while at a restaurant and feel that tipping is not what you do--please save everyone the trouble and stay home (or go to McDonalds, heard they have great service).
Appreciate 1
c1pher4661.00
      10-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #95
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
So my point is that mistakes can be made and it is not always the servers fault, you would know this if you ever worked in the resturant, SPRING1.
First off, I worked at a donut shop/diner from 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth as counter help. We made tips plus min. wage and I even got a some raises. I know what can go on such as some cooks were on drugs, they may miss a ticket or make the wrong item, etc. I know what goes on.

I also NEVER ONCE said it was "ALWAYS" the server's fault. Why don't you actually **READ** the things I said were the server's fault or another server's fault, huh?

Mistakes can be made, but most mistakes can be caught **BEFORE*** they bring you your food, because most mistakes are DUH mistakes like DUH my ranch is missing, DUH I ordered fries not onion rings(this happened at Denny's once where OUR OWN WAITRESS DUMBASS brings out onion rings when I ordered seasoned fries. I saw it when she put the tray on the tray jack. On our receipt it was rung up wrong as well, because it was a little extra for seasoned fries as this item came with onion rings. If I order no bbq sauce on my ribs and you(you are my server) bring me ribs with it slathered on top, you were supposed to check your written order with the food and refuse to bring me something that doesn't **LOOK** right.

A number of times servers have admitted to us they put in orders wrong(I put in orders wrong before at the donut shop/diner even). Some have admitted they forgot to put orders into the computer as well.

The most things I have happen are the missing condiments and that is the MOST PREVENTABLE issue there is that something that needs ZERO cooking time can be brought out ahead of time. I have had MANY of servers bring my condiments out beforehand.

Most issues are DUH like DUH if I said no pickles, yet some are on the side of my plate. DUH, I don't have my mayos that I asked for. DUH, I have mac n' cheese instead of a loaded baked potato that I got delivered from our own waiter at Logan's Roadhouse.

You don't have to do the job to have **COMMON SENSE** and you know it.

Mistakes can be made, but who makes the most mistakes? SERVERS! Just because the kitchen staff made an item wrong doesn't mean you have to still bring it to me if you can clearly **SEE* WITHOUT TOUCHING THE FOOD something is wrong or missing. Use common sense. Especially if you are the server that took the order, you should have it written down and compare it to the food **BEFORE** you leave the kitchen.

I learned more being a customer than working as counter help honestly.

I don't know why you think that people have to do the job to know who is at fault or not. If I can see it on the tray or on my plate without touching my food and my own server brings me my food, don't you agree my server could have noticed it BEFORE they brought it to me, DUHH???

The issue is that you are being served an item that is a DUH mistake. Good servers REFUSE to bring out food that doesn't look right if it's something that they don't have to touch to notice it's wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #96
Bups
Masterdebater
Rep
Drives: Toyoda Camray

This is fucking hilarious.
“How are Mr. Trump’s hands?” My hands are fine. You know, my hands are normal. Slightly large, actually. In fact, I buy a slightly smaller than large glove, okay? No, but I did this because everybody was saying to me, “Oh, your hands are very nice. They are normal.”
- Donald J. Trump.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #97
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You take em home and try to give em the tip?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #98
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I can picture the scene:

"Admit you forgot to place my order. Just say it!"
Attached Images

Mingwan1892.50
      10-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #99
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I'm going to help you remember to bring condiments, Mr. Man!
Attached Images

10-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #100
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i have a thing where the minimum tip i'll leave is $1. it tells them that i didn't forget to leave a tip, and they suck. if service is great, i'm pretty generous.
      10-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #101
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Sorry man, but it's Year/Month/Day...
Appreciate 1
wdb4716.50
      10-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #102
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Was actually at a Mcdonalds for the first time in a while this weekend and it was a recently remodeled one. I found that right as you walk in they had these big screens... as we walked to the cashier counter they told us to order at the screen. It was great, only took a couple of minutes and everything came out perfect. Just a matter of time before they put a robotic assembly line in the back to make the burgers.

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 10-25-2017 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #103
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Depends on quality of food, smile, conversation, ambiance, and my mood.

Could be as little as 10% and as much as 30%
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #104
Bups
Masterdebater
Rep
Drives: Toyoda Camray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Depends on quality of food
How are you gonna put that on the waiter/waitress?

If anything you should walk in the kitchen and punch the chef in the throat.
“How are Mr. Trump’s hands?” My hands are fine. You know, my hands are normal. Slightly large, actually. In fact, I buy a slightly smaller than large glove, okay? No, but I did this because everybody was saying to me, “Oh, your hands are very nice. They are normal.”
- Donald J. Trump.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #105
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bups View Post
How are you gonna put that on the waiter/waitress?

If anything you should walk in the kitchen and punch the chef in the throat.
I leave it to the waiter to complain to his kitchen. The chef just cost him 5%; I don't want to make it my problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #106
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

15-20% at the table, it's more challenging when I do take outs. I read that you don't need to tip at all but sometime I feel bad and leave 5-10%
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #107
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
I leave it to the waiter to complain to his kitchen. The chef just cost him 5%; I don't want to make it my problem.
Very interesting - start a mutiny from within....

Staff meeting will have people keeping each other in check because it should be an overall experience.

Personally, I don't really value service that much. I would pick up my own food at a fancy restaurant if it meant I could save $100 in tips, haha.

I wouldn't mind it if they left a carafe of water on the table and let me refill my own drinks. (I actually get excited when restaurants do this)

This ideal of mine spills into other areas as well. I don't want to pay someone to park my car. I don't want to pay someone to take my luggage to my room. I don't want to pay someone to open the door for me. I don't want to pay someone to hand me a paper towel after I go to the bathroom.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #108
Springs1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
15-20% at the table, it's more challenging when I do take outs. I read that you don't need to tip at all but sometime I feel bad and leave 5-10%
Why would you feel bad about getting a take out order that is someone doing the **SAME JOB** as fast food workers do that cannot make a tip such as McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.? It's the same job, so the same PAY from the CUSTOMER should be given. If their employer is not paying them well, that's between the employee and their employer. The employee accepted the pay, so if they don't like it, they don't have to work there.

There is NOT ONE THING more the to-go servers do for you than a McDonald's cashier does for you. So why should you tip one, but not the other to tip UNFAIRLY? If McDonald's cashiers can't make tips for a to-go order, WHY should ANYONE****************ANYONE****************** else be able to? It's not fair, it's not.

Doesn't matter what the employer is paying, it's what the customer is paying that should be EQUALIZED and FAIR. McDonald's cashiers want $15/hr as I am pretty sure you've seen all over the news and internet, so why wouldn't they want tips too? Of course they would, so if you can't tip one for the same job, why the other?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #109
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

I, I don't know what to say...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #110
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
It's not fair, it's not.
Life isn't fair, dude... anyone who tells you differently is selling something...
Appreciate 1