BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

ICON brand tools

So i was at harbor freight picking up a couple cheap tools for a project.
Anyway while i was there i took a look around and stumbled across a new(to me atleast) line of tools branded ICON and this stuff looks far better quality than the standard pittsburgh crap im used to seeing there. Anyone tried them out? Might have to pick a few things up as i need a more complete set of tools anyway.
It is pricier but seems much closer to the snapon tools in quality ive used from friends and seems nicer than the craftsman stuff lowes carries.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Hazard Fraught Tools is good at badge engineering these days, making up all kinds of new brands.....
      06-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

I dunno, maybe I'm just cheap and don't see the value in premium tools, but I only use harbor freight shit for hand tools. All does the same shit imo.

To op will have to investigate next time I'm there
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Hazard Fraught Tools is good at badge engineering these days, making up all kinds of new brands.....
Have you looked at them or are you just basing off of no knowledge or experience with the new brand?
Honestly it looked like pretty nice stuff and for us home mechanics who dont want or need to spend money on snapon/matco/ect... this might be a nice alternative. Definitely looked nicer than the husky crap from home depot and craftsman went to shit too
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

ICON tools are Harbor Freight’s so called foray into the premium tool market. It’s mostly just marketing BS since the tools are still made in China and are low quality. Most reviewers are not at all impressed with ICON tools, especially for the price. I’ve been burned way too many times with shitty Harbor Freight tools and definitely wouldn’t pay the price that ICON tools are commanding. Premium tools (Snap On, Matco, etc.) are priced high for a reason.

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Have you looked at them or are you just basing off of no knowledge or experience with the new brand?
I have not been to HF in a while to see these particular tools. Two years ago, they made up two new brand names for cordless power tool lines (Hercules and Bauer), alongside their existing Chicago Electric and Drill Master brands. Higher prices, higher perceived value, unknown track records on the new stuff. When I was doing my homework a few days after Christmas 2018, Home Depot was having a sale on a Dewalt cordless drill kit that came with two batteries for less than HF's equivalent with one battery at the time. I have had several Homier cordless drills over the years, Chicago Electric and Drill Master from HF, and now the Dewalt...which will likely be the last drill that I ever buy.

As I wrote about in the black ratchet thread a few days ago, the top drawer of the roller toolbox in my race car hauler is full of Pittsburgh-branded HF hand tools. I also sang high praises for their 3/8" black/gray composite 72-tooth ratchet handle, that has become my go-to socket tool.....
      06-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

I understand theyre still made in china and dont expect them to be on par with snap on or similar premium brands. However i didnt know if they were better than the current lineup of husky and craftsman tools that are also made in china.
Ive been impressed with the quality of my HF jack which was why i was interested in these as i know most of their stuff is crap but some things such as their jacks and air compressors work pretty well.
When i googled it i didnt come across many reviews on actual usage just speculation and talk about them coming out.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I have not been to HF in a while to see these particular tools. Two years ago, they made up two new brand names for cordless power tool lines (Hercules and Bauer), alongside their existing Chicago Electric and Drill Master brands. Higher prices, higher perceived value, unknown track records on the new stuff. When I was doing my homework a few days after Christmas 2018, Home Depot was having a sale on a Dewalt cordless drill kit that came with two batteries for less than HF's equivalent with one battery at the time. I have had several Homier cordless drills over the years, Chicago Electric and Drill Master from HF, and now the Dewalt...which will likely be the last drill that I ever buy.

As I wrote about in the black ratchet thread a few days ago, the top drawer of the roller toolbox in my race car hauler is full of Pittsburgh-branded HF hand tools. I also sang high praises for their 3/8" black/gray composite 72-tooth ratchet handle, that has become my go-to socket tool.....
I tend to stay away from any of their power tools as i have a full setup of milwaukee stuff all using interchangeable batteries that im very happy with.
I simply am interested in the hand tools as they had some nice looking ratcheting wrenches and ratchets. I dont mind the pittsburgh stuff as thats actually what i was there getting some new swivel socket adapters and magnetic bowl. But their ratchets are meh. Regular sockets n such id probably save the cash and still get the pittsburgh versions though.
Appreciate 0