BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

trip to US - came back from NY, my thoughts

So I finally drove to the US (in the wifes Caravan) all 3 of us.
From TO to Webster/Rochester (NY) crossing at one of the Niagara Bridges.
Stayed at a Hampton, due to the location of a venue I was going to
(Friday-Monday)

Had seen far too many episodes of Customs and was pretty nervous.
Wife and daughter Canadian's (with Can p/ports) me British, UK passport and Canadian PR residences, all 3 with that lovely tan color skin

I made sure I had every conceivable piece of info needed at fingertips, windows down, both hands on steering wheel, no caps, interior lights on, and I don't think I could have been more courteous, polite even if I was Canadian.

So driving through, what looked like an entrance to Fort Knox, each lane barricaded from each other, barriers, flash bulbs popping off when I drove through.

BP officers with guns visible, stab proof body Armour and head gear.

Now I'm thinking at this point, what kinda sh*t are they expecting at the Canadian border and you know "us" Canadian's wont say boo to a goose and always apologizing.

From the get-go this "brother", "person of color" had the nastiest attitude, rude, abrupt. I get it, you gotta gun.

Even despite being UBER polite, it felt like he was trying to get a rise outta me. Even asking me "Where are you going to be staying boy"

"BOY", what did I just take a left at Mississippi, was I now in Redneck land?
I've been to the US (flew in) about 20 years prior, and the customs/border guys where really pleasant.

I kept my cool, I had a wife and 7 year old in the car.

Then had to park up and go to immigration, where they photo'd me, blacked up my hands and I paid 6 bucks for the privilege of a visa. Just me, not wife and daughter.

Apparently The UK is part of the WVP and Canadian's don't need to have there hands blacked up or photo'd

Again the guys's there, not very polite, but I guess a lot better than "brother man" on the gates. I was going to ask for a supervisor but I just thought better of it. I just wanted to be outta that bastard hell hole.

So driving out of there I felt like Jake Blues driving away from Joilet

NOW THE GOOD BITS

I kept to 1mph below the speed limit all the way from buffalo to Webster and bugger me for the whole 2 and some odd hour drive, not one a$$hole driver. not one person cut me up, not one driver tailgated me.

Except what is wit all the toll booths on the roads ? LOLZ

NOW also you blokes can certainly cook steaks, we ate out a lot and 3 places 1 chain and 2 mom/pops made my steak perfect.

Here in Canada, it's pretty much hit or miss, and you have to guess, when you say med. if you'll get "well done" or if you ask for med rare you get "blue"

The food portions, man.... my daughters kids meal was the size of an adult servings and the tax was a hella lot less than here in Can

Not one place we stopped was the service not impeccable.

The drive home and crossing the Canadian border, FM was it different,
separate lanes yes, but none of this fencing and a little old lady, with no stab proof, no gun, ONLY concerned with if I had too many ciggies or Alcohol

And would you fcuking believe it, I had to pay to get back into Canada. Again about 6 bucks and just like that I was back to aholes driving

I think the UK is doing it wrong, charge all you yanks to get into the country. At 6 bucks a head its not much personally, but on the 1000's of travelers from the UK that's a nice little scam they have set up at the border.

I shudder to think what would have happened if I was one of those "undesirables" that Trump is trying to stop at the border, you know the ones that wear a niqab, or skullcap.

Anyway just my 2c's
Appreciate 1
Faredo312.00
      11-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
blue-mw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I opened this thread in the hopes that you might've had another orgasmic grilled cheese story south of the border, but I now have to leave this thread unsatisfied.

Glad your trip went well for the most part.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      11-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
On my numerous trips to US, mostly driving and border crossings, not once I was felt like what you sedcribed. I felt they were all doing their jobs ensuring everyone who entered was legally dealt with and with the outmost professionalism. I actually encountered more of a headache coming back to Canada and my cars been searched so many times to make sure I didn't bring too much Booz and smokes. I actually felt it was better treatment since Trump became president and yes I hate to admit that...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Never an issue with crossing. Sometimes there are interesting questions, but not anything that bothers me.
I believe tolls are for highway maintenance while here it’s paid out of gasoline tax - but the government wants tolls as well...

Portion sizes are bigger but restaurant costs and quality are better South, just as is customer service.

I enjoy doing business with Americans because they actually get that timelines are important. Canadian businesses are not as attentive in that manner.

Either driving or by air, be prepared and the crossing is pretty stress free..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Drive anywhere outside the major metro areas in the US and the people are generally nice.. get anywhere close to say NY, Chicago, LA, DC etc and the arseholes are suddenly much more plentiful
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

LOLZ I had all but forgot about that thread

In respect of all the great steaks I had in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-mw View Post
I opened this thread in the hopes that you might've had another orgasmic grilled cheese story south of the border, but I now have to leave this thread unsatisfied.

Glad your trip went well for the most part.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
blue-mw217.00