BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I'm trying to recreate race tracks on a frozen lake

So what we want to do is create scaled versions of real tracks on the lake for our ice racing.
Orientating ourselves and plowing the track it difficult. We just winged the first one and it didn't turn out anything near.
What I'd like to try and figure out is if we can use GPS (google map or whatever) on the phone and just follow it from there. Not turn by turn but at least a rough guide as some help.

Google isn't a ton of help here. I found something about overlaying a picture on earth, below, but I'm not sure what to do from there.

I don't know if Harry's Lap Timer would work. Anyone ever try setting up like an auto-x course based on a real track with harry's?

We just thought it'd be neat if we could get something to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Garmin back country gps units and other similar devices will allow you to set a path of your choosing. I'd try looking into something like that if you want to get it down turn for turn.
clee1982796.00
      01-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Maybe try contacting a video game studio? worth a shot. I know games like Forza (Turn 10 Studios) and Gran Turismo (sony/polyphony) laser scanned entire tracks to put them into the game.

one problem you might have is that a lot of tracks have elevation changes, cambered turns, and visual landmarks... hard to reproduce that on flat ice lake.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Have you tried Gaia?

www.gaiagps.com
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Diawal91
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Maybe try contacting a video game studio? worth a shot. I know games like Forza (Turn 10 Studios) and Gran Turismo (sony/polyphony) laser scanned entire tracks to put them into the game.

one problem you might have is that a lot of tracks have elevation changes, cambered turns, and visual landmarks... hard to reproduce that on flat ice lake.
+1
[IMG]httpss://klik23.site/assets/98/e.png[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:19 AM   #6
iosman987
Banned
Rep
Drives: audi a8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
So what we want to do is create scaled versions of real tracks on the lake for our ice racing.
Orientating ourselves and plowing the track it difficult. We just winged the first one and it didn't turn out anything near.
What I'd like to try and figure out is if we can use GPS (google map or whatever) on the phone and just follow it from there. Not turn by turn but at least a rough guide as some help.

Google isn't a ton of help here. I found something about overlaying a picture on earth, below, but I'm not sure what to do from there.

I don't know if Harry's Lap Timer would work. Anyone ever try setting up like an auto-x course based on a real track with harry's?

We just thought it'd be neat if we could get something to work.
Thank you Jaguar. It is not just the size; it is the size coupled with the design. The new 4 series and m3/m4 are absolutely hideous.

I want to like BMWs but the company is making it very hard to do that. Thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:19 AM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by iosman987 View Post
Thank you Jaguar. It is not just the size; it is the size coupled with the design. The new 4 series and m3/m4 are absolutely hideous.

I want to like BMWs but the company is making it very hard to do that. Thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:50 AM   #8
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
You are building a road.

You need to survey the site, using surveying tools by people who know how to use them. For example, a surveyor.

And/or, you need highly precise GPS and guidance software, such as used when contour plowing agricultural land (a farm) or used by land developers when changing the landscape as a precursor step to construction.

Ain’t gonna work very well with Google maps and an iPhone
Appreciate 0