BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #23
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I need to get back into my photography hobby, too. When I started riding, photography sort of fell by the wayside. Now I'll have time to devote to both hobbies.
My hiking buddy and I both want to learn more about digital photography. I took photography classes back in the film days so I have the basics and that has served me well. But, learning more about DSLR cameras and post-processing would be great. We are looking for online courses that we can take together.

For sure, there is an endless list of things to fill up our retirement days.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3447.00
      09-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #24
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I was eager to retire even though I'm technically 16 years away. But this pandemic taught me that I'm not ready. Now that I'm working from home I have a lot more time not having to commute or having ppl interrupt me during the day.

I'm with you guys, you need a purpose in life and something to keep you busy. Mtn biking and tennis I love but I get bored if I do them more than 2x a week. I really enjoy house and car projects but I'm running out of them. I renovated my entire house spending 1 entire year everyday after work: 6 days a week.
After that I usually have 1 project per year but now everything is done.

I recently came up with a new project because with Covid I've been bored as hell: I've submitted a design to add a garage to my house and it had high ceilings to put in a lift. Hopefully it gets approved because I can't wait to be busy again. I've become really good at my job supervising Ppl that I need a new challenge.
I think if I retire I would do lots of volunteering and hopefully be able to play with some cars in the garage I built. I don't see how playing golf is a goal to keep you busy, how much golf can you possibly want to do.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      09-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #25
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I'm thinking about doing volunteer work. Its tough for me because I'm not very good at a committee dynamic. I'd rather be in charge or work with someone who is in charge and has a plan. I've had unfun experiences but I should really give it a try again.
Been there, done that, could write the proverbial book on the subject.

After having been forced to give up all of my sportscar clubs' management roles by my mean doctors four years ago, the only thing that I have left is one more year chairing a committee at work.

I thought about running for the local school board, despite not having kids and never attending the local schools. My one encounter with the board was at a public hearing about a bond proposal, and let's just say that their breaking point was only five of the 17 questions that I came to ask before the board's vice-chair snapped and said that it didn't matter because they would keep putting the bond up for vote every month until it passed. If I were seriously going to run, I would need to attend a full year of meetings to learn the annual business cycles and observe the current board's interpersonal dynamics.

One thing that I did do last winter before COVID-geddon was volunteer for a town committee to draft a document. Didn't know a single person in our municipal government before this, and the experience so far (half way done) is no different than the other volunteer/committee stuff that I've done for years. One thing that I've learned is that my health would probably not let me run for a town board seat if I ever felt that was necessary in the future.....
      09-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #26
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I'm thinking about doing volunteer work. Its tough for me because I'm not very good at a committee dynamic. I'd rather be in charge or work with someone who is in charge and has a plan. I've had unfun experiences but I should really give it a try again.

Regarding guitar, I've played since I was a teenager. I got okay good at one point, never amazing. I was thinking about dusting off the guitar and even taking lessons. Maybe I can join a band called the Geezers!
start your own. I did "Put Cancer On Ice" with couple folks in DC area, raised monies through NHL cancer program. Only like $35K but had good time doing it, and well cancer fucking sucks..

You could go full on 501(3)C, usually get grants to do.

Yea learn guitar and maybe one day get through Infinite Jest
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11091.00
2000cs3447.00
      09-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #27
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

The thread nannies keep changing the title here. We're on title #3 now.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #28
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I assume most (many? some?) retire w/o an outstanding mortgage or any other significant debts?
We are buying a house to retire into. I intended to pay cash for it but a mortgage below 3% is such a rare thing in my life experience, and I can easily beat that with investments, so why not? The funds are there to pay it off if I’ve miscalculated or get stressed about it. No car or other debt.

I think it is more important to have a solid financial plan than to have no debt or any other specific element.
Appreciate 1
lakefront560.50
      09-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #29
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The thread nannies keep changing the title here. We're on title #3 now.
When you’re retired, you have the time to do things like that, and sometimes the mischievousness or pettiness (you pick).

And that might be good enough for a ban.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:43 PM   #30
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Quote:
I assume most (many? some?) retire w/o an outstanding mortgage or any other significant debts?
We are buying a house to retire into. I intended to pay cash for it but a mortgage below 3% is such a rare thing in my life experience, and I can easily beat that with investments, so why not? The funds are there to pay it off if I’ve miscalculated or get stressed about it. No car or other debt.

I think it is more important to have a solid financial plan than to have no debt or any other specific element.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Quote:
We are buying a house to retire into. I intended to pay cash for it but a mortgage below 3% is such a rare thing in my life experience, and I can easily beat that with investments, so why not? The funds are there to pay it off if I've miscalculated or get stressed about it. No car or other debt.

The market is pretty volatile Im pulling my money out of it
Appreciate 1
2000cs3447.00
      09-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #31
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Don’t wait until you’re retired to do all the things mentioned in this post. Go for a hike during the day. Don’t wait until sunset to get a bike ride in. Cook a steak on the BBQ for lunch. You might not be able to do it every day, but don’t wait until you’re retired either.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #32
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Don’t wait until you’re retired to do all the things mentioned in this post. Go for a hike during the day. Don’t wait until sunset to get a bike ride in. Cook a steak on the BBQ for lunch. You might not be able to do it every day, but don’t wait until you’re retired either.
Good advice. Anytime I have a reason to take a day off (like this coming Thursday), I do it so I can squeak in a ride during the mid-afternoon hours. Carpe Diem!

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
P111541.50
      09-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #33
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Been there, done that, could write the proverbial book on the subject.

After having been forced to give up all of my sportscar clubs' management roles by my mean doctors four years ago, the only thing that I have left is one more year chairing a committee at work.

I thought about running for the local school board, despite not having kids and never attending the local schools. My one encounter with the board was at a public hearing about a bond proposal, and let's just say that their breaking point was only five of the 17 questions that I came to ask before the board's vice-chair snapped and said that it didn't matter because they would keep putting the bond up for vote every month until it passed. If I were seriously going to run, I would need to attend a full year of meetings to learn the annual business cycles and observe the current board's interpersonal dynamics.

One thing that I did do last winter before COVID-geddon was volunteer for a town committee to draft a document. Didn't know a single person in our municipal government before this, and the experience so far (half way done) is no different than the other volunteer/committee stuff that I've done for years. One thing that I've learned is that my health would probably not let me run for a town board seat if I ever felt that was necessary in the future.....
For the "I could write a book on the subject" (volunteering), you seem to have two examples, a school board and town committee for a municipal government. If your goal is to get things done without a lot of bureaucracy you should stay away from all government functions. I can't think of a worst place to spend my time as a volunteer then fighting over a school budget spending tax money with people that really don't care about how smartly the money is spent. Most groups where you volunteer there is a relatively small group of people managing money they raised (huge difference than your examples) and trying to spend it wisely. Also depends on how deep you want to get involved. I volunteer at a kids exercise/self esteem/motivation group where I go to the events, help them set up and tear down (zero irritation). My wife is on a much higher level where she is involved in the committees and weekly events. Their meetings are short, she doesn't always agree but they make decisions and move on.
      09-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #34
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
For the "I could write a book on the subject" (volunteering), you seem to have two examples, a school board and town committee for a municipal government. If your goal is to get things done without a lot of bureaucracy you should stay away from all government functions.
No argument there! I was just explaining how the same skills from 25+ years of managing volunteers are also somewhat applicable to local politics. Rule #1 of managing volunteers is to NEVER criticize their work/efforts unless you are 150% willing to do the task yourself.....
      09-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #35
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I've seen some local "town heroes" around my place of employment. They were retired, and did simple shit to make the community better. One in particular that I still look up to, although he has passed on: when he went on his walk each day, he'd pick a different route, and brought a bucket and a picker. Then he'd fill that bucket with trash off the street.

Then I wonder WTF is stopping me from starting now I gots a bucket, I just need a picker. OK, technically I am limber enough to bend over and pick most stuff that would fit in a bucket. Every time I walk to the corner store I could choose a different side of the street.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #36
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
I'll pay for the picker!
      09-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #37
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I've seen some local "town heroes" around my place of employment. They were retired, and did simple shit to make the community better. One in particular that I still look up to, although he has passed on: when he went on his walk each day, he'd pick a different route, and brought a bucket and a picker. Then he'd fill that bucket with trash off the street.

Then I wonder WTF is stopping me from starting now I gots a bucket, I just need a picker. OK, technically I am limber enough to bend over and pick most stuff that would fit in a bucket. Every time I walk to the corner store I could choose a different side of the street.
I do this but only occasionally, not sure why I don't do it more. I just bring a bag and no picker.
      09-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #38
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I'll pay for the picker!
Who knew there was such a selection available????
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      09-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #39
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Been retired for 17 1/2 years and have never been happier/busier in my life.

What I "do" with my time varies from day to day, week to week, month to month & season to season. What's "good" is that I can decide what I want to do whenver I want to do it and can do it whenever it suits me. No boss or other people to worry about.

Nothing better than THAT!

Currently, I'm spending my time servicing/fixing things on cars/trucks. The BMW was squared away earlier and am now focusing on my F250 MR2, 911 and Vette.

This is keeping me busy enough. After I get done w/them I'll probably go back to playing w/my guns or adding to my jazz LP collection.

Life is good.
upstatedoc7555.50