BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-01-2019, 02:35 AM   #133
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post

Hopefully I can get 4 years out of these like the 6S's. I won't have much of an appetite for another one for quite a while now, regardless of how quickly or slowly 5G rolls out or any other new feature added to the next generations.
Battery will need replacing. My XS battery already headed south for winter and it's not even a year old. Life is maybe 60% of original.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #134
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My son has been pleasantly surprised by the battery in the X. I had battery replaced in 6 just before the price went back up. Mine still runs about 2.5 days
      10-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #135
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Running into some annoyances. I'm going to delete phone from car and vice versa and reconnect this weekend. Hoping that resolves most of these and ios updates resolve the rest without spending a bunch of time researching. I already checked relevant settings:

1. Messages to iPhone inconsistently showing up on iPad (text message forwarding selected on iPhone)
2. Music on iPhone play lists not working in car (using Lightning / USB, not Bluetooth); songs are on the phone because they play when not connected to car
3. Some phone contacts not showing up in car. Mostly just the one's I use most frequently.
4. Can't dial contacts using car controls / iDrive (get "unknown error" on phone) - need to use phone to dial and then its ok.
5. Messages appear in iDrive reflect unknown contact rather than sender's name

Last edited by RickFLM4; 10-01-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #136
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
If you [take] pics and want the best camera option, it's a good gig. If you don't care about photos, keep what you have. It's the same thing.
Same thing as what? The 11 Pro isn't even the "same thing" as my Xs.
I mean it's the same thing in terms of functionality. Maybe I'm not as impressed by glitz and glam as I used to be. Don't get me wrong, I really love the phone but as other have stated, I just don't see any special improvement other than the camera. I use this thing for email only, so it's not really an improvement over my old 7. That and this thing weighs way too much!
      10-01-2019, 04:06 PM   #137
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So does an "unfixable iOS Device Exploit" motivate u to get an 11? All A5-11 chips at bootrom level
      10-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #138
VA Jay
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I am not impressed and didn't buy one. Meh.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:08 AM   #139
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I had a X, got it stolen, bought a 6S that I’ve had for a few months. Couldn’t stand the smaller screen, lower quality pictures, and home button. I guess I did adjust to the new norm that was the X.

Got the 11 (regular) and love it. If I still had the I wouldn’t have gotten one (my phone prior to that was the 5S). But I use my phone so much that it made sense to upgrade it. Plus the phone is a few hundred dollars short of a G, so that’s “savings” I guess...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #140
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Running into some annoyances. I'm going to delete phone from car and vice versa and reconnect this weekend. Hoping that resolves most of these and ios updates resolve the rest without spending a bunch of time researching. I already checked relevant settings:

1. Messages to iPhone inconsistently showing up on iPad (text message forwarding selected on iPhone)
2. Music on iPhone play lists not working in car (using Lightning / USB, not Bluetooth); songs are on the phone because they play when not connected to car
3. Some phone contacts not showing up in car. Mostly just the one's I use most frequently.
4. Can't dial contacts using car controls / iDrive (get "unknown error" on phone) - need to use phone to dial and then its ok.
5. Messages appear in iDrive reflect unknown contact rather than sender's name
Did you check to see if there are any recent firmware updates for your iDrive system? You can download the firmware yourself from BMW after entering your VIN. You put the file on a thumb drive and the system recognizes the file upon plugging the drive in to the USB port. On my old CIC system I had updated the firmware twice since buying the car new in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #141
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Did you check to see if there are any recent firmware updates for your iDrive system? You can download the firmware yourself from BMW after entering your VIN. You put the file on a thumb drive and the system recognizes the file upon plugging the drive in to the USB port. On my old CIC system I had updated the firmware twice since buying the car new in 2014.
I have not gotten that far yet, but will look into it this weekend. Everything was fine with the iPhone 6S running 12. Just haven't had time to deal with it and heading out for a flight shortly.
      10-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #142
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

My wife and I replaced our 6's. I went with the 11, while my wife went with the 11 Pro as she didn't want that big of a phone.

Other than the learning curve of not having a Home button anymore we have both been very happy so far. I've been able to go days without charging.
      10-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #143
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
After going back and forth, I broke down and got an 11 for myself and one for my wife to avoid replacing the rapidly deteriorating battery in my 6S that will likely no longer get iOS updates in a year. It was a PITA to buy but I'll spare everyone those details.

I like the bigger screen when looking at it and definitely like the much better battery, but really dislike the heavier, larger phone when carrying it in my pocket. Also still not used to losing the home button but suppose I will get used to it over time. I do like the Face ID. The better camera is of moderate interest and it is faster but within about a day I no longer notice the faster processor and it is just the new normal. For me the extra $$$ for the 11 Pro didn't make sense. I notice zero difference in call signal in my house (as someone else reported). It still sucks.

Hopefully I can get 4 years out of these like the 6S's. I won't have much of an appetite for another one for quite a while now, regardless of how quickly or slowly 5G rolls out or any other new feature added to the next generations.
Do you configure WiFi calling for in your house?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #144
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Quote:
After going back and forth, I broke down and got an 11 for myself and one for my wife to avoid replacing the rapidly deteriorating battery in my 6S that will likely no longer get iOS updates in a year. It was a PITA to buy but I'll spare everyone those details.

I like the bigger screen when looking at it and definitely like the much better battery, but really dislike the heavier, larger phone when carrying it in my pocket. Also still not used to losing the home button but suppose I will get used to it over time. I do like the Face ID. The better camera is of moderate interest and it is faster but within about a day I no longer notice the faster processor and it is just the new normal. For me the extra $$$ for the 11 Pro didn't make sense. I notice zero difference in call signal in my house (as someone else reported). It still sucks.

Do you configure WiFi calling for in your house?
I do but wanted to try the 11 without it after reading a prior post about improved reception indoors. I also commonly forward my mobile to my home office landline when I am home to bypass the issue altogether.

However, once I leave my driveway, I lose that WiFi and have a dead zone for about 1/2 mile until I get to my front gate when driving, or pretty much entirely when I go for my morning walk. Certainly not life changing issues but just pointing out I don't think there is any improvement in reception on AT&T for the 11 vs. the 6S, at least for me.
      10-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #145
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Not just iPhone specific but the past 2 years of smartphones has been kinda meh. The underscreen fingerprint scanner is cool but I think what I'm waiting for is a phone with an underscreen camera and earpiece so that the entire front is clean.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #146
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
I do but wanted to try the 11 without it after reading a prior post about improved reception indoors. I also commonly forward my mobile to my home office landline when I am home to bypass the issue altogether.

However, once I leave my driveway, I lose that WiFi and have a dead zone for about 1/2 mile until I get to my front gate when driving, or pretty much entirely when I go for my morning walk. Certainly not life changing issues but just pointing out I don't think there is any improvement in reception on AT&T for the 11 vs. the 6S, at least for me.
Half a mile from your house to gate tells me you're rural, where they use different frequencies to the cities, which might account for it - the improvements might have been for the city frequencies where a larger portion of the users live.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #147
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Half a mile from your house to gate tells me you're rural, where they use different frequencies to the cities, which might account for it - the improvements might have been for the city frequencies where a larger portion of the users live.
The gate is for the gated community, not my own gate. This is a well established suburb. Population of around 65K that grows to over 100K in winter when the equestrians arrive. Commuting distance to West Palm and Boca Raton.

A new tower went up about 3 miles from our neighborhood but it had no effect so apparently AT&T is not in on sharing it.
      10-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #148
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Quote:

Battery will need replacing. My XS battery already headed south for winter and it's not even a year old. Life is maybe 60% of original.
The latest iOS should tell you how much capacity it has compared to new. My 10s max is at 96 percent of original capacity when fully charged. I'm using optimized charging looks like it charges to 97 percent to preserve battery life. It's supposed to estimate when you get up in the morning and remove the phone from the charger and only charge it past 80 percent just before you remove it from the charger. You should see if they will replace the battery for free if it's under warranty. The battery should last longer than that, you should have 80 percent after 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #149
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Stumbled across this - sounds like at least some of my problems are iOS issues:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1654530

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250676400?page=1
      10-04-2019, 02:12 AM   #150
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Quote:

The latest iOS should tell you how much capacity it has compared to new. My 10s max is at 96 percent of original capacity when fully charged. I'm using optimized charging looks like it charges to 97 percent to preserve battery life. It's supposed to estimate when you get up in the morning and remove the phone from the charger and only charge it past 80 percent just before you remove it from the charger. You should see if they will replace the battery for free if it's under warranty. The battery should last longer than that, you should have 80 percent after 2 years.
Yeah my batter showed degraded performance at 100%. Now at 98% but don't trust that apple number. Overall use time way down.
Appreciate 0