BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

PETA: Save the Whales! We Mean You, Fatty

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_261134.html

Quote:
PETA's new billboard campaign in Florida is raising eyebrows and ire among women and health groups. A drawing on billboards in Jacksonville depicts an obese woman with the phrase, "Save The Whales, Lose The Blubber: Go Vegetarian."

In a press release, PETA stated:
A new PETA billboard campaign that was just launched in Jacksonville reminds people who are struggling to lose weight -- and who want to have enough energy to chase a beach ball -- that going vegetarian can be an effective way to shed those extra pounds that keep them from looking good in a bikini. [....]

Anyone wishing to achieve a hot "beach bod" is reminded that studies show that vegetarians are, on average, about 10 to 20 pounds lighter than meat-eaters. [...]

"Trying to hide your thunder thighs and balloon belly is no day at the beach," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "PETA has a free 'Vegetarian Starter Kit' for people who want to lose pounds while eating as much as they like.

Jessica at Feministing blasts the billboard as "fat-shaming" and that "PETA owes the residents of Jacksonville a serious apology."

Holly at Deceiver states, "This is exactly what you would expect [from PETA] -- no empathy for humans whatsoever, just a lot of B.S. about how vegetarianism will make fat people just a little bit less of a blight on humanity."

PETA is known for its attention-grabbing tactics involving scantily clad-women, like this veggie dog eat-in on Capitol Hill that involved playboy playmates wearing only lettuce bikinis.

When asked to comment on the charges that the ad is sexist and mocking of overweight people, Ashley Byrne, a senior campaigner for PETA stated, "Our goal is help overweight Jacksonville residents - the best way to do that is to go vegetarian. We're not trying to insult anyone. [....] Vegetarians look and feel better than meat eaters. This is a life-saving message."

When asked specifically if the billboard shames overweight people, Byrne stated, "If the billboard is shocking, hopefully it will gets people's attention, and help them improve quality of life for themselves and their families.... it's designed to help people."

This latest billboard reminded me of a recent Onion News Network send up of PETA's sexist tactics.
      08-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

I like it! Nothing else seems to be working and this should work as a good wake up call. I'm tired of seeing that shit whenever I go to Clearwater, St. Pete, or any other beach down here. If it's not wrinkly, saggy, old tits, it's hordes of Michelin Men bobbing around. I am just infuriated whenever I see really fat people, especially the bitchy ones. Unless you have a thyroid problem, I see no excuse why you can't see your goddam feet.
      08-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

While they're at it, they should make anti-blonde, gay, and black people billboards too. But they should cleverly wrap it up in a message about saving animals, and promoting good healthy choices in life so no one gets offended that a group is being marginalized.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
While they're at it, they should make anti-blonde, gay, and black people billboards too. But they should cleverly wrap it up in a message about saving animals, and promoting good healthy choices in life so no one gets offended that a group is being marginalized.
Difference: 90%+ of obese people are that way because they choose to be. None of those other groups chooses their hair color / skin color / sexual orientation.

Obesity is a major problem in this country. Normally I hate PETA, but anyone doing anything to help curb obesity has my support. There is no bigger problem in this country right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

^ agreed

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Difference: 90%+ of obese people are that way because they choose to be. None of those other groups chooses their hair color / skin color / sexual orientation.

Obesity is a major problem in this country. Normally I hate PETA, but anyone doing anything to help curb obesity has my support. There is no bigger problem in this country right now.
Not only that but obesity costs this country a lot of money in health care. INstead of instituting all these changes maybe Obama should tell us all to layoff the cheese fries and get our fat asses on a treadmill more often and health care costs would go down significantly.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Not only that but obesity costs this country a lot of money in health care. INstead of instituting all these changes maybe Obama should tell us all to layoff the cheese fries and get our fat asses on a treadmill more often and health care costs would go down significantly.
Well part of the problem I was alluding to (actually a huge part of it, no pun intended) was the health care costs.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
PETA is a bunch of fucking retards... who seat around all day and come up with retarded shit to say.

How retarded?

Like asking Phish (the band), to change their name to Sea Kittens retarded
http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/0...phish_chan.php

Or rename Pescadero State Beach to Sea Kitten Beach retarded...
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2298463/posts

yes, they are on a Sea Kitten kick right now...

Or the best one - Sending Obama fly trap, because they condemn the "executive fly execution"
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...55H4Z220090618

Do these stupid motherfuckers have anything else to do? Like working a little harder on finding people who would adopt thousands of animals these hypocrites euthanize every year. Or maybe step it up and start issuing statements of displeasure to the pest and rodent control companies... they are also killing innocent animals, aren't they?

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
Quote:
Public Records: PETA Found Adoptive Homes for Less than 1 out of 300 Animals

Animal lovers worldwide now have access to more than a decade’s worth of proof that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) kills thousands of defenseless pets at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. Since 1998, PETA has opted to “put down” 21,339 adoptable dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens instead of finding homes for them.

PETA’s “Animal Record” report for 2008, filed with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, shows that the animal rights group killed 95 percent of the dogs and cats in its care last year. During all of 2008, PETA found adoptive homes for just seven pets.

Just seven animals -- out of the 2,216 it took in. PETA just broke its own record.
PETA can suck my virtual cock.
      08-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
Okay, that really interesting and I like the fact someone is using PETA tactics against them.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I know plenty of fat vegetarians
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
M6ZeusGod
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Exactly, you can still eat meat and be perfectly healthy. If someone wants to be a "vagetarian" then good for them, but I'll continue to be healthy and eat meat. If the ad would've promoted a healthy eating lifestyle then maybe I would endorse it, but saying you can only be healthy by becoming a vegetarian is absurd.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post

Look, I'm not a fatty lover myself. I have to sit next to them on airplanes, or trains and it's uncomfortable. However, even with your stats, marginalizing 10% of the people is still wrong.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Isn't that the truth.

Sometimes eating at Souplantation is like seeing a Jenny Craig reunion.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Look, I'm not a fatty lover myself. I have to sit next to them on airplanes, or trains and it's uncomfortable. However, even with your stats, marginalizing 10% of the people is still wrong.
Whether it is or not, I'm not debating that. I just had a bit of a difficult time seeing eye-to-eye with you, drawing parallels between obesity and race/genetics/sexual orientation (arguably).

That being said, PETA is dumb, I know fat vegetarians as well, and the key to not being fat is a balanced and reasonable diet coupled with a relatively active lifestyle....

I hate 90% of fat people. Oh well. I know people with thyroid problems who have been struggling to not be morbidly obese, and they dedicate their lives to it.... It sucks. And for those people, I have no problems. But you'd be ignorant or blind to not acknowledge that a large percentage of the obese in this country are that way because they choose to be (or because their parents choose for them to be), and it's a problem for everyone. Because it's affecting me, I will continue to bitch. I'm an American and I have the right to bitch about whatever I want. Except for Obama. There is a black van outside my house full of stormtroopers waiting to capture myself and my family and transport us to Siberian gulags if I badmouth him...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

I totally understand your point. A lot of fat people complain about being fat, but consume twice the daily caloric allowance in one meal.

But I feel like if you're going to make a message about helping fat people, make it all about fat people. Combining it with being a vegetarian is weak, and very unscientific, as would say combining a message about intelligence and being black.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
I totally understand your point. A lot of fat people complain about being fat, but consume twice the daily caloric allowance in one meal.

But I feel like if you're going to make a message about helping fat people, make it all about fat people. Combining it with being a vegetarian is weak, and very unscientific, as would say combining a message about intelligence and being black.
True but advertising isn't always about reason. I mean, what does a BMW have to do with chess?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I love my vegetarian-ness, just not my fellow vegetarians.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0