BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

HELP ! major withdrawl from checking acct

hi guys,

first an apology for posting this in the incorrect forum. we know if this was placed in the correct area nobody would read it

I checked my checking account today and found a withdrawl "cash check" for 90% of my remaining balance. I contacted the bank and they couldnt confirm it was a check made out to cash , this is just what they show until the information can be processed. The bank is TD bank. They said i would need to wait till 6am tomorrow to find out more info. the local branch gave me greif but did place my account on limited activity (no withdrawls).

I havent written a check for this amount and its a rather large amount since i had work done at the house (waiting for the contractor to cash the check). This is not the contractors check since it's a different amount. So basically when the contractor's check is cashed with a few hundred left in my account it will bounce.

the only thing i can think of is a crack head at my house over 6 months ago who might have taken a check.

Can a person go to a bank with a check or check made out to cash and ask if there is sufficient funds in the account ? the teller says no and returns the check ? how is this handled.. im wondering if a check was forged and they kept going back trying to cash it ???

anybody have any thoughts on this and if it does turn out to be fraud how is this normally handled ?

/cry

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Wow, I don't know what to tell you except that I hope this gets sorted out soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

damn that sucks. hope everything gets resolved
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
mdxh99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5

I don't know if your bank does this but I know my accts with bank of america and Washington mutual/chase makes photocopies or scans the frontside and backside of each check they process. go take a look and see if you wrote it or if it has been forged
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

No the teller cannot give out this info... And a check can only be presented twice, after the second NSF, it cannot be presented again.

The person who stole your check either knew how much omney you had or took a guess and it worked. Either that, or they know a teller at the bank..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

The guy must have had a copy of your signature too.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

As I understand it, when there is fraud, one of the banks, not you, will have to take the loss. If the forger cashed at TD, TD would have had to have asked for ID, etc., and if they accepted the check, they take the loss. If that person went to another bank, then TD would hold that other bank responsible.

That's my understanding, although it's never happened to me.

I don't think you have to worry, although these things are troublesome. It will get straightened out in time. Good luck!

http://www.bankersonline.com/complia...cmp032601.html

"The UCC places the ultimate risk of loss for the payment of checks bearing forged endorsements on the depository bank. It is the first bank to receive an item for collection and, thus, is in the best position to detect the forgery and prevent the fraud. Of course, the depository bank can look to the forger to recover its loss; however, the likelihood of recovery is slim."
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
what are you doing having crackheads at your house?
      08-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the thoughts everyone !

yes TD bank does scan both sides of the checks, so if it is a check i'll have some more info to go with.

as if life isnt difficult enough (3 kids) i gotta deal with this

well no sleep tonight, and that means im calling out tomorrow.
will let you guys know what ends up tomorrow.

if anybody has any more tips with this please post

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Bearialis View Post
what are you doing having crackheads at your house?
Everyone crack binges occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
Thanks for the thoughts everyone !

yes TD bank does scan both sides of the checks, so if it is a check i'll have some more info to go with.

as if life isnt difficult enough (3 kids) i gotta deal with this

well no sleep tonight, and that means im calling out tomorrow.
will let you guys know what ends up tomorrow.

if anybody has any more tips with this please post

ppp
Hope you get things resolved soon. Be patient, I'm sure thigns will get settled, but it sometimes takes time. Stress will give you white hair.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Agreed with the above. TD Bank should take care of this. They should be able to tell instantly what type of transaction is was - you can tell if it was a check by simply logging into your account online. Is there a Visa debit card tied to your account? It's surprising to me that a physical check could be written for what seems to be a precise amount. Sounds like either there's someone on the inside or someone really knows your account information (number and balance).

TD should refund you the cash while they investigate the problem. Either way, if this was not an authorized transaction, you are not responsible. It's theft/identity theft of some sort, and it's TD's responsibility to find out what happened and why.

In the meantime, be patient but persistent with them. If you just reported this tonight, it should be taken care of during business hours tomorrow. Banks generally don't mess around with this type of thing.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
CHARLEYBROWN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I 6MT

WOW! Im really sorry to hear that man... I dont know if I would be able to accept the answer "your just going to have to wait and see"... That would give me a damn ulser

2006 Sparkling Graphite 330I 6MT V713 H&R Touring Cup Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
Everyone crack binges occasionally.
oh sorry York... I forgot...
      08-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

lol the bad part is ... if it was the crack head she didnt just take my checks she also raided my medicine cabinent... took all my friggin stress pills... so wtf am i gonna do now.

thanks for the kind words guys

will let you know tomorrow, just glad the only thing this money was reserved for was the contractor and not a dozen bounced checks.

ppp
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

good luck bro... bank should take care of you
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

i went through something similar...

they actually only need your bank routing number and accounting number. not even one of your blank checks. from that you can print out anything you want. the bank doesnt even know what your real checks look like, and they usually dont even look at the signature. as long as the routing number and account number is valid, its good to go. bad for you.

i had my checking account cleaned out a day after i paid rent.
i called my bank branch and reported the fraud. you need to call the branch that you have your account at, they will eventually get the good check you wrote and are the ones that will bounce it. the manager of the branch honored the check in my case even though it put my account about 3K in the negative.

your branch can definitely help you out since they can pay out on the good check, as long as the fraud is reported.

they will warn you that if its proven not to be fraud, you will be on the hook for the amount they cover plus interest.

good luck.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #17
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

can i ask how much was withdrawn?
large amounts will have a hold before drawn.
what was the time span // also look at the check number to help give u an
idea of when the check may have been taken. U can use the number and
compare from other checks u used to the date. good luck.
      08-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
I used to work for wamu back in 2002 for a couple of years and here's what our process was in cashing wamu checks for non customers. Once we receive a check, we would need two forms of acceptable ID, drivers license, credit card, passport, etc.. along with their thumb print that would be on the check. We would also check the signature card of the owner of the check to make sure his/her signature would match up. If we suspected that the signature did not match, we would call up the owner to to see if they indeed wrote out a check to the person. If not, we would keep the check.

I don't know about other bank policies, or even if wamu still enforces this, but we were not allowed to accept checks made out to cash. Even wamu customers who want to get cash by writing a check to cash would be informed that they needed to make the check out to themselves.

Like I said this was when I worked at the bank for a couple years back in 2002, but maybe this information will help out somehow. Either way I doubt you will be liable. It could have been an inside job where the person cashing the check and the teller knew each other so they could have split the money between themselves, or the teller was incompetent and did not follow procedure. Either way the person who made the transaction is in some deep shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #19
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hi guys,

sorry i didnt post yesterday, i was litterally running on fumes after having a horrible night sleep or lack there of.

the 1800 didnt have any more info at 6am, SUPRISE. I opted to go to the bank at 830 and get the answer... 45 minutes into it and 7-8 call from the customer service at the bank she tells me... " i cant get a hold of XX group, please give me your number and I'll call you back"... uh NFW. I suggested she contact someone MGR who can get some answers. Now its about 10am and the answer is this...

the check i wrote was for 2100 and the check was cashed for 21.00... months later they try address it and withdrawl 2079 from my account = 2100.

problem solved, funny /grr the bank had no friggin idea what the hell happened.

thanks again for your support and advice guys !

ppp
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #20
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dear Sir-

I think you owe that crackhead an apology. What has America come to? Crackheads are always blamed for anything that goes wrong.

I hope the crackhead unions and ministers boycott you!

For shame...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #21
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
Hi guys,

sorry i didnt post yesterday, i was litterally running on fumes after having a horrible night sleep or lack there of.

the 1800 didnt have any more info at 6am, SUPRISE. I opted to go to the bank at 830 and get the answer... 45 minutes into it and 7-8 call from the customer service at the bank she tells me... " i cant get a hold of XX group, please give me your number and I'll call you back"... uh NFW. I suggested she contact someone MGR who can get some answers. Now its about 10am and the answer is this...

the check i wrote was for 2100 and the check was cashed for 21.00... months later they try address it and withdrawl 2079 from my account = 2100.

problem solved, funny /grr the bank had no friggin idea what the hell happened.

thanks again for your support and advice guys !

ppp
My appology and i understand you might not be yourself due to a lack of sleep lately over this situation but I have no clue what I just read. The only think on my mind at this point is 1) based on your above post, you are too a crackhead 2) or I am a crackhead since I don't understand your post 3) we are all crackheads...

I am usually decent with numbers but 2100, 21.00..., and 2079 don't make no freaking sense whatsoever

anyway, best of luck.
      08-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #22
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
My appology and i understand you might not be yourself due to a lack of sleep lately over this situation but I have no clue what I just read. The only think on my mind at this point is 1) based on your above post, you are too a crackhead 2) or I am a crackhead since I don't understand your post 3) we are all crackheads...

I am usually decent with numbers but 2100, 21.00..., and 2079 don't make no freaking sense whatsoever

anyway, best of luck.
Guy writes cheque for 2100. When cashed his account is only debited for 21.00. Bank discovers error months later and debits for 2079, the difference between 2100 and 21.

OP: Did you not notice that the cheque for 2100 was never cashed?
Appreciate 0