BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

08-12-2023, 01:05 PM   #1
dekaiahhaupt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i M-Spec

Fried DME on my 2008 535i?

Hello Bimmer community!

I'm excited to be making my first post here as I dive into the world of BMW ownership. This 2008 BMW 535i is my first car, and I bought it in this condition, my dad builds race cars, so I'm no stranger to working on vehicles and have the advantage of access to a shop and a lift, however as I don't have a lot of experience working on BMW's I would like your opinion.

After addressing the initial issues with my vehicle, which involved replacing the fuel injectors, installing a new O2 sensor, and fixing a vacuum leak, I was relieved to find that the engine was running smoothly during idle, these fixes seemed to have resolved the rough running problem that I was experiencing previously.

However, once I tried to push the RPMs higher, the engine would suddenly shift into limp mode, accompanied by erratic jumps in the RPMs.

Using INPA I consistently come across these fault codes:

29CC: DME: Combustion misfires, several cylinders
2D60: DME: Fuel quantity, monitoring
2C2C: DME: Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter 2, system check
30BB: DME: Injectors 4, 5, 6 or DME, internal fault
29D1: DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 5
29D2: DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 6
29D0: DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 4
2DED: DME: Power management, closed-circuit current violation
2C3C DME: Oxygen sensor 2 before catalytic converter: Not connected

Given the assortment of codes indicating issues potentially linked to the DME, I'm leading towards having to replace my MSD80 with an 81.

If anyone encountered similar problems or have expertise in dealing with these fault codes, I'd greatly appreciate your insights!

PS. If I have to replace my DME, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get one/get it re-programmed? There seems to be lots of places to buy online ranging in prices.
Appreciate 0