BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Exhaust note is quieter?

03-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #1
Laoschris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Exhaust note is quieter?

I know there were folks saying when their car was updated, they have noticed the exhaust/burble got quieter.

Short story: I sent my car to get a wash at a local ceramic pro shop that I use almost once a week. They do the usual pick up and drop off.

I leave work and head to the gym and notice my car is much quieter. Now, I haven't updated my car, for the fact of the rumor stated above, but is it possible the detailers could have "updated my car"?

I have a remus axleback on it, and can definitely tell that the car is much quieter and does not pop and burble like normal. I couldn't careless about the burbles because I actually hate them, but the cabin sound is significantly different. Sounds like I'm driving in efficient IMO.

I got home and searched for an OTA update which was showing 7/2021.5 or something so I did do that in hopes maybe it was an update issue that was accidentally done, but nothing.

Any thoughts???? I'm <500 to do my next oil service and there is an update through the dealer that needs to be done according to the key read.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 10:55 PM   #2
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
A couple times I have noticed my exhaust is quieter as if it was in efficient mode, but I had it in full sport plus, with the exhaust on.

For whatever reason it either didn't open the valves, or something had a minor malfunction, not sure, but I restarted the car and it was back to normal.

I don't know enough to explain more than that. But this has happened maybe 3-4 times in the last year and 1/2.

For reference I drive a 2019 M5 Comp.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 06:45 AM   #3
Laoschris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
A couple times I have noticed my exhaust is quieter as if it was in efficient mode, but I had it in full sport plus, with the exhaust on.

For whatever reason it either didn't open the valves, or something had a minor malfunction, not sure, but I restarted the car and it was back to normal.

I don't know enough to explain more than that. But this has happened maybe 3-4 times in the last year and 1/2.

For reference I drive a 2019 M5 Comp.
That's what it seems like. That the cars valves aren't open, but I can certainly hear the valves open and close. It's frustrating and driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 06:48 AM   #4
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoschris View Post
That's what it seems like. That the cars valves aren't open, but I can certainly hear the valves open and close. It's frustrating and driving me nuts.
Why don't you lock them open all the time ?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 07:12 AM   #5
Laoschris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoschris View Post
Why don't you lock them open all the time ?
Someone suggested this, but I like that I can turn the flaps on and off based on my schedule and neighbors too.

I don't think the flaps are the issue because I can hear them open and close when I put the button (I have an LCI). While driving you can tell there's a significant difference in sound from the interior cabin. I can't hear the exhaust it seems like. My Remus exhaust had drone in lower gears and hell I can't even hear the drone of the exhaust now.
Appreciate 0