E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > anyone here go to st johns university?

08-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #45
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Lol I graduated in May, but I used to always park on the top floor of the parking lot behind DAC. The two IvyLeagueEast.com guys park up there -- the slammed "OMG TSX" and the even more slammed 500 HP "V8 BAIT" STi hatch. The roof is def the safest place to park lol

Don't worry, really, because STJ isn't as bad as your presumptions. You'll be fine regardless of what program you're in as long as you're not an anti-social individual.

And please, don't down-talk the education that current students are receiving or alumni have received. Do realize what thread you're posting in and whom you're speaking to within this thread. If you think BU would've been the better choice, then you should've gone there instead. Would've, should've, could've -- it's all talk at this point since you've already made your choice.

Don't take what I'm saying the wrong way. All I'm trying to say is that STJ is not as bad as you're making it seem.
I hear what you're saying perfectly clear. I know, my opinions of SJU are clouded with bad stigmas (only because the majority of the students who go there from my school aren't/weren't the brightest of the bunch intellectually..and physically..mad drugs). Whatever, I'm just trying to go in tomorrow without any expectations. If what you say is true, I might be pleasantly surprised. If not, I'll just have to deal with it.

By the way, did you have any problems from assholes from messing up your car? Like keying it or anything?

Oh and..how decent is the chance that I can get my hands on the overnight parking permit as a freshman? From what I know, I have to wait till all the upperclassman get theirs first.
As a freshman you shouldn't have a problem getting a Parking permit. They always have a bunch leftover as they charge $500 for residents and kids usually dont bring cars freshman year if living on campus. I highly recommend bringing a car though as getting anywhere besides manhattan is fastest, safest, and most convenient using a car unless your drinking that's another story.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #46
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj View Post
As a freshman you shouldn't have a problem getting a Parking permit. They always have a bunch leftover as they charge $500 for residents and kids usually dont bring cars freshman year if living on campus. I highly recommend bringing a car though as getting anywhere besides manhattan is fastest, safest, and most convenient using a car unless your drinking that's another story.
Awesome, I was just worried that those $500 permits would run out before I could get my hands on one. Hopefully by tomorrow or Monday, I can go by the public safety office and pick it up. If not..shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #47
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2 paur 2 aford kar :(

Is anyone going to try and leave their cars parked in the garage for the hurricane this weekend?

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #48
pdips
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

wow what a thread hahahaah yea guys we should definetely all park in like one spot that would be so sick hhaahaha
      08-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #49
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Let's set up a meet.

September 8th at 5:30pm on the roof of the garage behind the track at St. John's.

We can cruise over to the Glen Cove meet at 6pm together.

Maybe turn it into a weekly thing.

Let's get a list going of who is down for this:

Username / Car / Name

1. BMW-NJ / Z4 3.5i / Peter
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #50
pdips
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

count me in!

1. BMW-NJ / Z4 3.5i / Pete
2. bmwfanatic93 / E90 335xi / Peter G
      08-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #51
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
So I moved in and everything. My roommate concerns turned out to be true but that's not what bothers me. I met a lot of chill people here on campus yesterday so that's good. I guess the problem is, is that I'm not comfortable yet transitioning to being independent even if my house is 25 minutes away. Call me a mamas boy, whatever. I just prefer to be in my own house.

So I just declined housing, and it looks like I'll be commuting for the next 6 years. Might as well, I drive a nice car after all. Oh..and $7K saved for my dad. Good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #52
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

You can decline housing on the day you move in? lol that's crazy. Good luck commuting, dude.
      08-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #53
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I moved in and everything. My roommate concerns turned out to be true but that's not what bothers me. I met a lot of chill people here on campus yesterday so that's good. I guess the problem is, is that I'm not comfortable yet transitioning to being independent even if my house is 25 minutes away. Call me a mamas boy, whatever. I just prefer to be in my own house.

So I just declined housing, and it looks like I'll be commuting for the next 6 years. Might as well, I drive a nice car after all. Oh..and $7K saved for my dad. Good stuff.
Don't worry about it. St john's is still a predominantly commuter school. You don't have to decide now where you are going to live for the next 6 years. You can always move back on campus next semester or whenever you are comfortable doing so. Living at home has it's benefits that I surely miss living on my own. Hope you can come out on September 8th for the meet and cruise over to Glen Cove.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #54
pdips
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yea guys lets try and get as many people as possible to this meet at SJU for our cruise to glen cove
      08-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #55
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
\By the way, did you have any problems from assholes from messing up your car? Like keying it or anything?

Oh and..how decent is the chance that I can get my hands on the overnight parking permit as a freshman? From what I know, I have to wait till all the upperclassman get theirs first.
I can't comment on the overnight parking permits, but you have nothing to worry about with vandalism. Just find a nice secluded spot in the upper-levels of the garage that's next to the track and you'll be fine.

And like ejaz mentioned, a 3 series is kinda like a Civic at STJ lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shim! View Post
(I used to chill there and stare at kamek's car all the time )
LOL I should've kept my old VS-XX...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrokin330 View Post
I went to St. Johns freshman year...i loved every single minute of it but i couldn't deal with thousands on thousands in loans so i left.
^^ Josh right here used to park his car in-between other cars in tight spots... I never understood that LOL

You have nothing to worry about. Take advantage of "campus life" for the time being because it gets boring when you start commuting. Live it up -- you're in college! Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #56
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I can't comment on the overnight parking permits, but you have nothing to worry about with vandalism. Just find a nice secluded spot in the upper-levels of the garage that's next to the track and you'll be fine.

And like ejaz mentioned, a 3 series is kinda like a Civic at STJ lol

LOL I should've kept my old VS-XX...

^^ Josh right here used to park his car in-between other cars in tight spots... I never understood that LOL

You have nothing to worry about. Take advantage of "campus life" for the time being because it gets boring when you start commuting. Live it up -- you're in college! Best of luck.

Yeah I'm definitely going to try haha. The only annoying thing about commuting is being able to still attend the parties that happen. Other than that, I don't drink, so I never really need to worry about driving drunk anyway.

How do you deal with the roads around campus though..some fuckin' roads have potholes the size of craters, and if not craters, uneven pavement. The roads are just as bad as the GCP.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #57
madeinhongkong
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

If i went to SJU i would def just get an apartment... just imo i feel like commuting your missing out on campus life... i got accepted to SJU but my rents were like f it... it's too expensive LOL and sent my ass upstate
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #58
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost2Perfection View Post
If i went to SJU i would def just get an apartment... just imo i feel like commuting your missing out on campus life... i got accepted to SJU but my rents were like f it... it's too expensive LOL and sent my ass upstate
I'll get an apartment next year. No point getting it now.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #59
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost2Perfection View Post
i had an apartment with my friends near campus....your not missing much if your commuting there is no campus life on st johns since its a commuter school mostly. After 3pm the campus is dead maybe not the first few weeks of school because everyone is excited, but you'll soon see no one really chills on campus. That was one my dislikes of SJU the campus life sucked i mostly chilled with my roomies at our apartments.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #60
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm definitely going to try haha. The only annoying thing about commuting is being able to still attend the parties that happen. Other than that, I don't drink, so I never really need to worry about driving drunk anyway.

How do you deal with the roads around campus though..some fuckin' roads have potholes the size of craters, and if not craters, uneven pavement. The roads are just as bad as the GCP.
you gotta be friends with frats or sororities if you want to go to parties and most of their parties are in bars in the city since there not allowed greek houses. But i think Wednesday night is Trads nights (a local bar that allows underage drinking everyone goes there when your a freshmen) I enjoyed STU but its definitely not a party school by any means.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #61
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Are any of you guys down for the meet at st johns and cruise to glen cove on September 8th?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #62
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i had an apartment with my friends near campus....your not missing much if your commuting there is no campus life on st johns since its a commuter school mostly. After 3pm the campus is dead maybe not the first few weeks of school because everyone is excited, but you'll soon see no one really chills on campus. That was one my dislikes of SJU the campus life sucked i mostly chilled with my roomies at our apartments.
I knew the campus died out after a certain time, but I didn't know it completely died out!

Quote:
you gotta be friends with frats or sororities if you want to go to parties and most of their parties are in bars in the city since there not allowed greek houses. But i think Wednesday night is Trads nights (a local bar that allows underage drinking everyone goes there when your a freshmen) I enjoyed STU but its definitely not a party school by any means.
Lol @ Trads, but true... STJ IS A "DRY" CAMPUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj View Post
Are any of you guys down for the meet at st johns and cruise to glen cove on September 8th?
no
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #63
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louchie View Post
Is anyone going to try and leave their cars parked in the garage for the hurricane this weekend?
Lol that'd be a good idea but I have a feeling the school is gonna be on lock down mode. No way in or out!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #64
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
I knew the campus died out after a certain time, but I didn't know it completely died out!

Lol @ Trads, but true... STJ IS A "DRY" CAMPUS

no
yeah no clue why, the only kids there are campus residents who usually stay on the dorm side of campus...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #65
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
yeah no clue why, the only kids there are campus residents who usually stay on the dorm side of campus...
How about the beautiful DAC in which students can go to study, eat, and learn?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #66
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
How about the beautiful DAC in which students can go to study, eat, and learn?
hahaha i use to chill there a lot not gonna lie it was a nice place...i wanted to burn that damn piano though!!!!!
Appreciate 0