BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #3389
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke View Post
side note: she's been sending me snaps since the morning but they're all "streaks!!" kinda snaps; until she sends something directed to me im not responding lol

if you can't even have the decency to ask "why did you kill our streak" i wont go out of my way to give an explanation...
What language is this.....faulk I must be old and honestly have been with my wife for almost 15 years so really out of the loop.

My two cents, I think I have to side with Bimmette on this. If you go out with someone the least you can do is make a phone call or text I guess to say you don't see it going anywhere. I'm just trying to imagine what my response would be if I went out with someone, then sent them a text or whatever suggesting a second date and I got crickets. I think the golden rule should be adhered to.

I guess it's best I'm married.
Appreciate 3
bimmette6452.50
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #3390
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I did not know this. Not on snapchat so thanks for the explanation. I now officially feel old. I suppose I'm in a place in life where not being in the social media loop is cool.....to me anyway. Being disconnected brings an entirely new level of freedom, peace.....disassociation and risk of sounding old too apparently.

I'll now take my old ass to the corner and watch the youngsters talk about how relationships won't work for them as they ghost each other.
Haha no problem man, I'm not on many social apps(I get shit on all the time for not having facebook), but I do enjoy snapchat. Photos/videos have a time limit and when the limit is reach they're gone for ever, so it has its benefits which shouldn't need explaining.

It also has practical uses, doesn't require much data to send a photo/video that expires, my dad uses it when hes ocean bound and out of range. He can still send videos/photos even when he doesn't have mobile signal. It gets annoying when I get video after video from him, but regardless good to stay in touch haha.

The negatives: people know when you open the photo/vid, and the less muture are prone to getting aggrevated by this lmao. This girl will probably be bummed if that streak ends.

Explaining social norms of the current generation is rather difficult because like you said, being disconnected bring the feeling of freedom. The current generation is chained down by the constant "need" to stay in the loop, i.e. not free. It's actually sad.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #3391
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
That's so sad. I understand your frustration but can you imagine finding your perfect love and then having them die? I can not even fathom how devastating that is. Some people never recover.
I think it will take her a few more years to recover.

She told me yesterday that she considered us more than friends, but that she was afraid of falling in love with me.

I told her I had given up hope that anything would happen between us, but that I wasn't mad at her. I said I needed time to gather my thoughts and I left.

She text me that she liked me a lot and that she cared about me. First time she texted a heart emoji.

Poor girl, but she'll be fine with or without me. All it takes is time.
Appreciate 1
bimmette6452.50
      02-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #3392
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
What language is this.....faulk I must be old and honestly have been with my wife for almost 15 years so really out of the loop.

My two cents, I think I have to side with Bimmette on this. If you go out with someone the least you can do is make a phone call or text I guess to say you don't see it going anywhere. I'm just trying to imagine what my response would be if I went out with someone, then sent them a text or whatever suggesting a second date and I got crickets. I think the golden rule should be adhered to.

I guess it's best I'm married.
Yeah, but in your example you’re asking for another date. You’ve reached out, so sure, she should say if she’s not interested. If the girl asked for another date then the guy should definitely do the same if he’s not interested, but that’s different from his just not asking again himself. Seems sexist to put it all on the guy! But it also sorta depends on how long the dating had been going on. After just a few dates it doesn’t seem necessary to announce no more dates to me
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #3393
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Haha no problem man, I'm not on many social apps(I get shit on all the time for not having facebook), but I do enjoy snapchat. Photos/videos have a time limit and when the limit is reach they're gone for ever, so it has its benefits which shouldn't need explaining.

It also has practical uses, doesn't require much data to send a photo/video that expires, my dad uses it when hes ocean bound and out of range. He can still send videos/photos even when he doesn't have mobile signal. It gets annoying when I get video after video from him, but regardless good to stay in touch haha.

The negatives: people know when you open the photo/vid, and the less muture are prone to getting aggrevated by this lmao. This girl will probably be bummed if that streak ends.

Explaining social norms of the current generation is rather difficult because like you said, being disconnected bring the feeling of freedom. The current generation is chained down by the constant "need" to stay in the loop, i.e. not free. It's actually sad.
Yeah man, it's weird being on the outside looking in on societal norms with the younger generation. I can relate with the feeling of being tethered to stay connected/in the loop and the feeling of being an outcast by the adverse.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #3394
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
Yeah, but in your example you’re asking for another date. You’ve reached out, so sure, she should say if she’s not interested. If the girl asked for another date then the guy should definitely do the same if he’s not interested, but that’s different from his just not asking again himself. Seems sexist to put it all on the guy! But it also sorta depends on how long the dating had been going on. After just a few dates it doesn’t seem necessary to announce no more dates to me
My example was in part based on this comment earlier in the thread.

Originally Posted by aozer View Post
Yea I just recently did the same thing. She texted me after our second date and said we should do it again some time. I just deleted her number and never responded. After listening to her complain about her boring ass job for two hours while we were getting drinks I realized I couldn’t stand to see her again.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #3395
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
rudi don't worry, i didn't tally every day since i met her
good point on skipping school/work though. as much as i'd like to do that let's be realistic that's not happening.

but being a bit self righteous here, i really don't think anyone deserves an explanation in this situation when in the last few days all she sent was very cookie cutter, run of the mill "everyone gets these anyway might as well send one to him too" things. if the topic comes up sure i'm not going to avoid it

what more details do you want? i'll gladly answer
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #3396
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
My example was in part based on this comment earlier in the thread.

Originally Posted by aozer View Post
Yea I just recently did the same thing. She texted me after our second date and said we should do it again some time. I just deleted her number and never responded. After listening to her complain about her boring ass job for two hours while we were getting drinks I realized I couldn’t stand to see her again.
But “do it again sometime” is pretty vague. Sounds like the old “let’s do lunch”. Are you saying you think that qualifies as requiring a response? , “dear bitch, no way in hell are we doing it again sometime. All the best”.... lol
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #3397
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

what more details do you want? i'll gladly answer
I think you covered everything in the sequential posts.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #3398
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Yes, of course girls do it too. It's cowardly and immature. Prior to texting, it was expected that people break up in person. Just a couple weeks ago, someone just asked my friend out for coffee to tell her he wasn't interested after a couple dates. In my opinion, that's just a waste of time for everyone. A simple ten-second text is all that's needed.
Actually, I think that was sweet and sincere to say it face to face. I don't get this texting over actual conversations. Breaking up via text is cowardly. I guess I'm showing my age.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #3399
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Actually, I think that was sweet and sincere to say it face to face. I don't get this texting over actual conversations. Breaking up via text is cowardly. I guess I'm showing my age.
Not all showing age but showing how things should be done.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15581.00
      02-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #3400
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
you aren't showing your age, people still don't break up over text
they either ghost or break up in person (or get caught with someone else, because college i guess)
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15581.00
      02-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #3401
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
you guys made me go soft - just texted her to get coffee. will explain stuff outright, but i'm pretty much done here... i sincerely don't see the point in doing so but i trust you guys
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7926.00
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15581.00
      02-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #3402
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

LOL Now_Rudi , bimmette he listened and now has to buy ANOTHER round of coffee.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #3403
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
you guys made me go soft - just texted her to get coffee. will explain stuff outright, but i'm pretty much done here... i sincerely don't see the point in doing so but i trust you guys
Better than what you were planning to do there 'Ghostrider'.

Seriously, I agree with the others that at least telling them you don't see it working out is better than just radio silence. Just classier.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #3404
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don’t wear anything that you would mind getting lots of coffee on.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #3405
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
Don’t wear anything that you would mind getting lots of coffee on.
Or something that is difficult to remove quickly. Break up sex is real son.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #3406
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Alright gentleman, I am in need of some sound advice.

I have been with a girl for the last year, and we have a phenomenal relationship. We are extremely healthy together. We rarely get jealous, and have a lot of trust. Our arguments solely consist of what show we are going to watch or where we are going to eat. We see eye to eye on the big picture stuff, and thoroughly enjoy our time together. We truly are great together and both share these same feelings. And man she is sexy.

Here's where it gets tricky. She is from South Africa. She came here for school 3 years ago, and just finished up her studies. Her student visa is running out and by December she will have to go back, unless we get married. She has been very up front with me about her situation and what needs to happen for her to stay. I do love this girl, and see myself marrying her in the future, however this time sensitive pressure is starting to really get to me. I am 22 years old and did not see myself getting married at such a young age. She has made it very evident the marriage isn't solely for the green card, as she does want to build a life with me. I have no doubt this is the truth.

My main concern lies in the fact that things are so good right now, I don't want to jump in to a marriage and have it mess up what we have. We would need to start the marriage process within the next few months in order for her to stay, and I have been hesitant. I am not really sure where to go from here.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #3407
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #3408
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

No
Appreciate 4
      02-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #3409
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
Alright gentleman, I am in need of some sound advice.

And you came here for that????

Well, despite your obvious first missteps, you may in fact find some good advice.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get married at 22 either to be honest. I think you are justified in being hesitant. You are young still, so is she, like it or not, there is still a level of immaturity and while you think you may both want each other, in a few years, you may find that not to be the case.

I'm not American, so can't help much, but is there no other options for her to stay a little longer?

If she's done her studies, is there no way to find employment in that field here where her employer will give her a green card? I'd suggest the employment option, its my understanding that this is something that allows you to stay in 'MERICA! (yeah)...seems like the best option to buy you both some time without going nuclear and ticking the marriage option.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
      02-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #3410
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
And you came here for that????

Well, despite your obvious first missteps, you may in fact find some good advice.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get married at 22 either to be honest. I think you are justified in being hesitant. You are young still, so is she, like it or not, there is still a level of immaturity and while you think you may both want each other, in a few years, you may find that not to be the case.

I'm not American, so can't help much, but is there no other options for her to stay a little longer?

If she's done her studies, is there no way to find employment in that field here where her employer will give her a green card? I'd suggest the employment option, its my understanding that this is something that allows you to stay in 'MERICA! (yeah)...seems like the best option to buy you both some time without going nuclear and ticking the marriage option.
I came here for the multitude of perspectives and brutal honesty. Two things the forums do best.

I agree on your second paragraph. My main concern is just that: will we still feel this way in a few years?

In regards to employment, we have explored this, and the issue lies despite her degree. For a company to sponsor her visa they have to pay 10's of thousands of dollars to do so. When an equally qualified candidate comes in without the company having to pay for the green card, they will always choose them unfortunately.
Appreciate 0