BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

10-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Smoking RR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528i

Transmission troubles BUT no codes

A little back story first. I recently picked up a 2008 528i with transmission issues. The car would start and run, but it wouldn't go into gear. It was trowing a code for control valve 5. I knew it had issues when i got it, and hoped to do some wrenching and get it back on the road to be my DD. I picked it up from a shop after it had fresh trans fluid installed. It has a 6hp21 transmission in it.

I got a rebuild kit and replaced the Mechatronic sealing sleeve, the Mechatronic Seal Adapter, and all 9 solenoids. On Sunday morning I cleared the adaptations and then put the car up in jack stands and drained and dissembled everything. Swapped everything out and and replaced all the parts and then reassembled everything. I followed the fill instructions and filled it up till it dripped out then capped it off and started the car. I was able to shift out of part and into D/R and pack into part. I continued on till the car was at 40c and filled again. Everything went great and I buttoned the car up and took it for a drive. over several days I put about 70 miles on the car, even went and got the emissions done and a tag on the car.

Thursday I was out driving my new when the engine revved up funny while driving and then threw a code. I pulled over and checked the code, it was for a 3/4 shift. I cleared it and tried to drive easy to get home. I made it a few more miles before it happened again. I pulled over again and stopped to make a left into a parking lot. From a standstill it acted like it didn't want to even go up the hill.

I got it parked and came back several hours later with a trailer and brought the car home. I put car back up on jack stands and started looking underneath. I noticed that the sealing sleeve was farther out than the
1-3mm spec so my hopes were that it was a loose connection issue.

I pulled everything back apart again and re-seated the sleeve and got it within spec. I put everything back together and started the car up. No codes, so far so good. Put the car in drive. it stayed for about 2 seconds then pops back to park. i let it warm up for a bit and added more fluid. still same result. I ran it all the way to 40c and kept adding fluid. Still wont actually activate drive or reverse, and wont take the last 2 quarts or so that I drained out of it. And worst of all NO CODES!!

I am very new to the BMW works, so reached out to a BMW friend from out of state, we went over what i did and all that comes to mind from him is that I might need to reprogram my transmission.

Any suggestions at all would be wonderful, my head is really starting to hurt from beating it against the wall. And if anyone happens to live near Snellville GA i will gladly pay for your time to help put.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Smoking RR
Registered
Rep

Any ideas or suggestions? Whats the chance that my trans fluid pump could have gone out and thats what is keeping me from being able to add the rest of the fluid and nothing is actually moving.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
hanynowsky
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 316ti 2001 | E60 523iA LCI

That is really disturbing.
Mileage of your transmission in Kilometers please.
And the mileage at which you first serviced it!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
Crypto989
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li

Have you been able to sort out the 528i issue? You may consider a used transmission from a used parts lot. I had a similar problem with a 2009 530i and my final solution was a used transmission.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Smoking RR
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanynowsky View Post
That is really disturbing.
Mileage of your transmission in Kilometers please.
And the mileage at which you first serviced it!

187,943 miles (302,464 kilometers) on the car.

And the car is new to me, so I first serviced the transmission 70 miles (112 kilometers) ago. Like I stated in the beginning, I got the car with transmission issues.
Appreciate 0