BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #23
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Until the graphics of PS3 and 360 games stop improving, there is no reason for them to release a new console.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #24
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
It can't natively do 1080p. It renders in 720p and upscales to 1080.

Well the last time I read about it anyways, they might have updated the firmware or something
Let me give you a crash course.

The things with console, unlike your iPad or your computer, is that there is no OS that needs to be run in order for the game itself to run. Yes, you have a Dashboard etc, but this plays a minimal (VERY small) role in the process of running the game on your console. Therefore, a console can make full use of the hardware, explaining a game on a PS3 is sometimes looking as good as a mid-upper range PC these days. On a PC or iPad, its the opposite. If you knew how much resources is used on your PC or iPad just by the OS itself, you wouldn't believe it. Today, a mid range video card on a PC might have, what 1 gig of RAM? Still at least 1/4 of it won't be used by the game itself (unless you tweak your OS but that is a different league).

Consoles always have older components than PC but can still run good because of a few reasons, and I gave you a main one.

I also believe that today, people don't look at a game for its graphics anymore. (Unlike 6-7 years back when the only important thing were graphics (HL2/Doom 3/Far Cry are examples of game that were mostly acclaimed for the graphics). This explains the sales of the Wii, iPad and Nintendo DS. Sony and Microsoft are doing their best to bring new concepts such as MMO Games because the graphics do not represent a selling point in 2011. Explaining the 3D also.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #25
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

I understand that and it really had nothing to do with what I said. You're right, consoles are made to play games. That is it. But games need a lot of resources too. Say what you want but 518mb of RAM is not enough. I read that a lot of things had to be pulled out of GT5 because of the PS3's hardware limitations. Add 3D to the mix and these consoles start struggling.

I think a new console in a year or two would be perfect. 2014 is a bit too far off. They're trying to milk the hardware for almost a decade. I'm not mad at them because its good business.

PS3 components are way cheaper than they were when it first came out so why not sit back and let the cash flow in.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #26
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
I understand that and it really had nothing to do with what I said. You're right, consoles are made to play games. That is it. But games need a lot of resources too. Say what you want but 518mb of RAM is not enough. I read that a lot of things had to be pulled out of GT5 because of the PS3's hardware limitations. Add 3D to the mix and these consoles start struggling.

I think a new console in a year or two would be perfect. 2014 is a bit too far off. They're trying to milk the hardware for almost a decade. I'm not mad at them because its good business.

PS3 components are way cheaper than they were when it first came out so why not sit back and let the cash flow in.
I agree with you that yes, some improvements could be make to the console now. But there is nothing they can bring to the market in 2 years that would change the gaming industry. (Unless they bring an insane Augmented Reality console, but that is a different thing). Nintendo did it with the Wii. The new Wii will come out in 2 years (around). That should be interesting. Sony and Microsoft are on different sides of the gaming industry. IMO, one of them should switch, as they both have a LOT of money, and lets be honest, both of the consoles attract almost the same market.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #27
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakster View Post
Until the graphics of PS3 and 360 games stop improving, there is no reason for them to release a new console.
I think crysis 2 is that limit. On my 360, looks great, minimal slow downs, but anything more and it just won't be able to handle it. (i mean, it only has 512 mb of RAM...). draw distances are too short though

happy with the 360 though, it's already had a long life. i think we can move on now though
      04-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #28
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
People can say what they want about the console hardware limitations b/c of GPU/RAM, but the processing power and dedicated focus of these systems is awesome to say the least.

Six years ago, your ultimate gaming computer is for sure what now would be considered shit.

You can still develop great games for consoles although their age is showing. For the money, it's amazing what the console developers did. I'm a PC gamer at heart, but that's just makes it all the more real exactly how monumental it was what they accomplished with this last gen of consoles. Credit is given where credit is due.
Agreed. A console costs about as much as a top of the line graphics card, and will last you 8 years! Games don't cost that much more, either. PC gaming just isn't that affordable, and that's why it's slowly dying. Here are the only disadvantages I'm seeing with consoles right now.

-Locked-in online experience. I'd like to be able to pick a server with like-minded people when I play an FPS, and meet the same group there time and again. I don't want to go in there and wind up playing with 13 year olds who play video games 16 hours a day.
-No MMO games. Not my thing, but still something the PC has locked
-I tell you- the controller is a lot harder to use on a FPS than a mouse. I'd really like to be able to use a mouse on my xBox.

Last edited by carve; 04-22-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #29
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
the main reason you will not see any new consoles for a while is because there is nothing they can come out w/ right now that will be significantly better than whats out right now.

They can make higher resolution graphics but no one would be able to tell since TVs are stuck at 1080p, so they are kinda stuck till 4k becomes the new standard

what i would like to see is the consoles get updated w/ better hardware, that shouldnt be too expensive for companies. cause like others have said, its kinda sad when your phone or tablet rival your console specs (although of course the console can get away w/ it because of lil over head) but at least bump up the RAM
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
It is all alone on a dresser with an additional fan blowing. Still got YLOD. Nothing that a heat gun couldn't fix.

My sons xbox will be next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
Too bad they make consoles with inadequate cooling that cook themselves in 2 or 3 years.
My PS3 has been fine. Don't bury it in a '70s shag carpet and make sure you keep the airways clear.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #31
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
they are kinda stuck till 4k becomes the new standard
yep, a big difference that's often overlooked is that 720p is actually pretty slim, my 13.3" macbook can run many games at 720p (1280x720). Most of us are used to pushing PC games at higher res. which CAN require new hardware every 2 yrs, compared with consoles that were left 6 years ago and still perform due to the pretty slim requirement of 720p
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #32
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I don't mind much that Sony/Microsoft want to wait till 2014. I agree that they can't release anything worth while in the next year or two so why bother. Microsoft can keep that timeline for their OS, windows 8 is prolly already done and their working on 9

It would be nice if they just starting upgrading some hardware items. More RAM, ability to use a mouse and keyboard for FPS etc. Even offer to send your units in to get the upgrades for a fee. They can easily add a few things to milk some money out of people in the mean time.

As for the developers they have to love this. Most the time it seems like they are just starting to understand the system and get the most out of their games graphically and out comes a new system. They have to start all over with new issues, upgrade projects that were slated for the previous system to the new one, etc.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #33
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I can see offering new controllers, like a mouse or kinnect, but you'll never see internal hardware upgrades. That would defeat the purpose of the console. The great thing about a console is developers know exactly what hardware is in everyones living room. Nobody will write a game that requires people to upgrade their near-obsolete console to play. Even requiring a special controller is a hard enough sell.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #34
Universal_Magnetic
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Quote:
Dude the xbox360 can only output 720p for games. PS3 graphics card only has 250mb of ram and runs at 700mhz. Almost every piece of hardware on both consoles is old

what are you talking about
all youre doing is shouting out numbers and saying theyre too little. everything works fine, games run smoothly and it does what its supposed to do.

sorry go enjoy black ops and gt5 on your ipad
      04-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #35
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal_Magnetic View Post
all youre doing is shouting out numbers and saying theyre too little. everything works fine, games run smoothly and it does what its supposed to do.

sorry go enjoy black ops and gt5 on your ipad
So if it was up to you a 100hp engine would be fine? There would be no need to update it for a decade?

Get your head out of your ass

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #36
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
theres no reason to yet, theres still plently left to do with the hardware.
Lmao
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #37
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
a game on a PS3 is sometimes looking as good as a mid-upper range PC these days.
You need glasses.

-------------------------------

You can't be serious carve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
A console costs about as much as a top of the line graphics card, and will last you 8 years!
But does none of the functions that a computer does.

Quote:
Games don't cost that much more, either.
Notsureifsrs or just ignorant... Games on the PC are significantly cheaper, typically you can find pre-orders or just released games for $48, and then they drop in price very quickly, not to mentioned all of the EPIC sales on Steam and other digital stores. What's that? Metro 2033 for $5?

Yeah have fun getting bent over for $65 after tax, lmfao.

Quote:
PC gaming just isn't that affordable
I'm curious, what did you spend on your current PC? What did you spend on that fancy ass TV?

Leaving the TV out of this because you will just say that's an unfair comparison. Let's take the price you spent on your PC, minimally $500, and add in the cost of your console $300 (at the minimum). So now we have an $800 budget for our do-everything PC that we needed anyway and now we can also game on it. We also have access to the largest selection of games: classics, new games, PS1/PS2/SNES/NES/GameCube/N64/Gameboy etc.

Quote:
and that's why it's slowly dying.
Name one thing all consolites have in common? Ignorance.

The 'PC gaming is dying' statement is only perpetuated by ignorant idiots. PC gaming will never die and it will always be the best way to game. PC gaming will continue to innovate and drive the tech industry to keep improving and bringing us better technology.
Appreciate 0