BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

05-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #89
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
I blame the schools. I didn't know it until I went into the Army.

I wasnt trying to be rude in my previous post I just want people to know the truth about their rights, regardless of political affiliation
Completely agree. I think I had one class in highschool that touched on the constitution. But, sadly, I've been out of school for nearly 25 years so any knowledge gaps on the subject are strictly a matter of my own laziness in not seeking the information out and self-educating.

Didn't take your post as rude at all. You put your life on the line serving our country, so yeah, I get it. It's got to be frustrating as hell to put it all out there to protect what so many take for granted. Thank you for doing that for the rest of us who elected not to serve.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13470.00

05-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #90
2000cs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by .2pdk View Post
I simply don't see a solution to the continually widening wage gap problem.
I started a thread a week ago asking whether and if so, why income inequality (the wage gap) is a problem. I see it stated as a given quite often, but havenít seen any argument nor evidence for why it is a problem.

I have seem some link this to political power or influence, but it seems the solutions to that are more direct and donít need to involve ďmanagingĒ incomes.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #91
2000cs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Does the rich controlling you make you "freer"?
Does the possibility of having cancer or any medical issue that can cripple you financially make you "freer"?

There are people who are richer than I am and I donít feel they control me, certainly not directly and really even indirectly.

I know plenty of people poorer than I, some with really nothing at all, who also are in complete control of themselves and their world.

People, being social animals, seem to self-organize into structured groups with leaders, powerful, influencers, and followers. If incomes are equal, we still do this, and it can be seen in countries like Cuba and Venezuela or in Appalachia here in America as well as Wall Street and Washington D.C.

Of course you can choose to let others control you, or to follow instead of lead. I donít.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #92
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Does the rich controlling you make you "freer"?
Does the possibility of having cancer or any medical issue that can cripple you financially make you "freer"?

Have you considered Canada?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #93
IXLER82019
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 XDrive

Garage List
2018 BMW 330  [0.00]
Is being Left mean being smart?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #94
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

The right has no brain but left have no balls.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #95
IXLER82019
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 XDrive

Garage List
2018 BMW 330  [0.00]
"Name one left wing Democrat objective that, if implemented, would allow you to earn and keep more money and/or that would make you freer?"

Well I can think of many policies. We can begin with gun control.

Guns kill, injury, mame and destroy people. Therefore, having gun control people (me) would be free to live longer, hence making more money. If I am alive I can keep more money I make.

That's an easy one.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #96
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Except flawed, your taking away rights and saying it creates freedom. Yes freedom to be a victim. Your adding 2+2 and getting negative 87 on purpose.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 05-10-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13470.00

05-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #97
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLER82019 View Post
"Name one left wing Democrat objective that, if implemented, would allow you to earn and keep more money and/or that would make you freer?"

Guns kill, injury, mame and destroy people. Therefore, having gun control people (me) would be free to live longer, hence making more money. If I am alive I can keep more money I make.

That's an easy one.
Putting aside the fact that the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental civil liberty explicitly protected by the Constitution, and that freedom is not free (but it’s worth the risk), this is factully incorrect. Gun control laws operate to disarm the law abiding, not the criminals. The states with the strictest controls see no improvement in gun crime. Moreover, right to carry has been shown to actually reduce gun crime. Bad guys with guns do hurt and kill people, but good guys with guns save lives every day.
MKSixer13470.00

05-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #98
chetrickerman
Pro Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
Putting aside the fact that the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental civil liberty explicitly protected by the Constitution, and that freedom is not free (but itís worth the risk), this is factully incorrect. Gun control laws operate to disarm the law abiding, not the criminals. The states with the strictest controls see no improvement in gun crime. Moreover, right to carry has been shown to actually reduce gun crime. Bad guys with guns do hurt and kill people, but good guys with guns save lives every day.
This x 1000000000

ASR Kratos billet turbos, Essex/AP 9668 BBK, AR design downpipes, Custom charge pipes, custom intakes, MHD, Awron DGA, RW Carbon GTS hood, Status Gruppe Carbon CSL trunk, Carbon rear diffuser, AutoTecknic Carbon mirrors, GC Camber plates, KW HAS, Fall-Line Race Toe arms, SS Brake Lines, UUC SSK, Insane Crank hub, Ozmo titanium lugs, BC Forged RZ01
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #99
chetrickerman
Pro Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

That's an easy one.
I'm glad you live in Canada.
ASR Kratos billet turbos, Essex/AP 9668 BBK, AR design downpipes, Custom charge pipes, custom intakes, MHD, Awron DGA, RW Carbon GTS hood, Status Gruppe Carbon CSL trunk, Carbon rear diffuser, AutoTecknic Carbon mirrors, GC Camber plates, KW HAS, Fall-Line Race Toe arms, SS Brake Lines, UUC SSK, Insane Crank hub, Ozmo titanium lugs, BC Forged RZ01
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #100
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Be more profitable for individual to do their own. Those who arent smart enough to do so can be sent to Canada as illegals ?

I don't disagree about individuals doing their own, however the government feels it necessary to look out for its people. If we ever do see some sort of social security reform, maybe it could become some sort of opt-in or opt-out program for those who want it or not.
      05-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #101
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Which is exactly why I tell my portfolio manager to ignore it from all calculations. Proceed as if it does not exist and will not exist in 20 years when I retire. Build me an investment strategy that achieves my goals without it. That way it'll be a nice surprise if it's still there in 20 years, and wont make a bit of difference to my retirement if it's not.
I absolutely agree. I should have stated that I expect to withdraw from it as bonus income in addition to my other retirement income, and I don't plan to rely on that bonus income if that expectation doesn't come to fruition.
      05-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #102
SCREAM3R
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Quote:

That's an easy one.
I have an FN Five Seven not 3 feet from my head every night and do you know it hasnít killed or maimed me yet. I guess Iím lucky. My GF who has pretty bad anxiety sometimes feels safer knowing that we are protected in the moment better than without it. So itís worth it to me. I see the argument for gun control but I also see the reality of our world (U.S.). Gun control may work (debatable) in other countries but I just do not believe that I can work here. This is a mental problem in this country not a gun problem.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13470.00

05-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #103
gjm120
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
Putting aside the fact that the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental civil liberty explicitly protected by the Constitution, and that freedom is not free (but itís worth the risk), this is factully incorrect. Gun control laws operate to disarm the law abiding, not the criminals. The states with the strictest controls see no improvement in gun crime. Moreover, right to carry has been shown to actually reduce gun crime. Bad guys with guns do hurt and kill people, but good guys with guns save lives every day.
Just a meme but the point is pretty much valid.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...postcount=7728

05-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #104
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Sensible gun control is desperately needed in this country. Saying that guns don't walk out the door and mass murder is just idiotic. Your pick up trucks don't drive themselves and commit mass murder but we regulate vehicles. Oh wait......maybe we just need to deport Elon Musk...

NRA uses scare tactics on the deplorable saying Obama and Hilary coming to take guns away actually works. Bigly sad.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #105
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Sensible gun control is desperately needed in this country. Saying that guns don't walk out the door and mass murder is just idiotic. Your pick up trucks don't drive themselves and commit mass murder but we regulate vehicles. Oh wait......maybe we just need to deport Elon Musk...

NRA uses scare tactics on the deplorable saying Obama and Hilary coming to take guns away actually works. Bigly sad.
Guns are regulated currently

https://www.dw.com/en/8-facts-about-...-us/a-40816418

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la..._United_States
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #106
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

What do you consider to be "sensible gun control?"
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #107
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS, 16 F150, 19 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Yep, 30% of $750K - $225K. Now that's a lot to pay in taxes.

20% of $50K - $10K. Inarguably an astronomically lower total tax burden in dollars.

However, the taxpayer that has $525K after taxes will have a lot fewer concerns about keeping the lights turned on and shoes on the kids' feet compared to the taxpayer that has $40K after taxes.

This is the main reason it's disingenuous, IMO, to discuss who pays what total percentage of tax revenue collected by .gov. The wage gap is widening, by all measures, which only serves to exacerbate the problem.
Now start adding in rent, transportation and day care to the 40k that is left over after taxes. It eats that up pretty quickly. And people wonder why the majority in this situation think the the top 10% wage earners/Repubs are heartless whether true or not. Arguments about the unfairness of taxes and the policies they enact etc that are being espoused by Repubs really don't help dispel that notion.

I agree the wage gap is widening and the rich are keeping more and more of their money. Historically taxes on this group are the lowest they've ever been. Why a large group of Republicans/top wage earners want to see the US become more like Brazil/India is mind boggling to me. This is where we are (US) heading if we don't figure out how to control this wage gap problem.
Appreciate 2
Jockey1799.00

05-10-2019, 10:01 PM   #108
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS, 16 F150, 19 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
OK, so to be fair, you kinda came out swinging right out of the gate:

There are certainly people on this forum who make it their mission to berate and "win" at all costs. But your assessment of the OP is offbase.
Also to be fair, I really don't think he was trying to insult the OP. I truly think he was just looking at peoples worldview and why they think the way they do.

For instance, if you grow up in the southern US you are most likely to be Christian. If you grow up in Europe Atheist and the ME Muslim etc etc.

A large part of the partisan Republican base views Dems as freeloaders and a large part of the partisan Dems view the Repubs as evil rich white guys based on upbringing/worldview.
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #109
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Not well unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
minn195412.00

05-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #110
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
What do you consider to be "sensible gun control?"
How about not allowing my crazy uncle to get.a gun from random gun show in AZ?
Appreciate 2
vtown56.00