BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

05-03-2019, 06:33 AM   #111
cmyx6go
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6 ///M

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyE93M3 View Post
Awesome handle! More of a great minds think alike!

Curious about learning more on how you guys handled the medical benefits for employee's when it was passed to the employee. This shit keeps me up at night worrying how long we can continue to cover the costs.
We contribute a fixed amount for all employees. Each year prior to renewal, we give them a cheat sheet if you will that outlines the different plans they can choose from and shows our contribution and their cost so they can easily choose which plan works for them. The employee cost is deducted from their paychecks I believe once per month. Obviously, if they choose a "better" plan, their cost is higher than if they choose the bottom, basic must be in network plan. Offering a choice between multiple plans has been very successful.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need more specific details.
      05-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #112
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I resemble this remark!! Wait, whut???
19 years civil service for Navy
3 years contractor scum for Navy
15 years municipal government

It's the hair (or lack thereof) isn't it?
Wait wut?!?!

19 + 3 +15 = 38. This makes you at least 150 years old!!!

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #113
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I resemble this remark!! Wait, whut???
19 years civil service for Navy
3 years contractor scum for Navy
15 years municipal government

It's the hair (or lack thereof) isn't it?
Wait wut?!?!

19 + 3 +15 = 38. This makes you at least 150 years old!!!
Child prodigy. The navy recruited me right out of kinder
Appreciate 2
Run Silent11143.00
MKSixer14033.00

05-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #114
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
So how many VA's have you been to as a patient? Me - I've been to several, including to have major work done from blast injury while working as a government official overseas.

The bulk of my experience at the VA was far worse than the normal hospital care I've received before or since. So bad, as a matter of fact, that I refuse to go anymore - even though I could get the care gratis, I pay to go to a regular hospital.

What care have you been provided at the VA?
many. i am a veteran with three deployments. i am also a physician that has previously worked at a VA hospital, a university hospital and a for profit hospital. i have been in the medical field for over 25 years. soooo, i have AMPLE direct experience to discuss these issues.
Appreciate 1
SoCalS2k279.50

05-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #115
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
many. i am a veteran with three deployments. i am also a physician that has previously worked at a VA hospital, a university hospital and a for profit hospital. i have been in the medical field for over 25 years. soooo, i have AMPLE direct experience to discuss these issues.
Fantastic! Then perhaps we can discuss via PM or another avenue, why:

1) After EVAC, I was triaged in Camp Chapman and then transferred to the US mainland. Here I literally had a doctor call me a moron for allowing myself to be blown up. Note that at the time, I was not active military and was working for a government agency, seconded to a particular military group.

2) I received a staph infection while a patient at this VA facility and it took several days for anyone to administer antibiotics.

3) Two groups of my sutures ruptured due to improper techniques.

4) A member passed away in his bed across the hall and it took 7 hours before anyone noticed.

5) Some of my suture scars were so bad from poor wound closing, that I had to have the wounds re-opened and re-closed by a non-VA doc to prevent disfigurement.

6) Later, I returned to my local VA complaining of notable pain and what appeared to be internal beading near a wound site causing dark bruising. I was put on a waiting list for MRI with pain meds for five days. On day five, I was called and told that it would be another five days. Went to my local ER, where they found un-removed shrapnel still embedded in the wound site. I likely would have died had I continued to wait.
      05-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #116
SoCalS2k
Captain
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
So how many VA's have you been to as a patient? Me - I've been to several, including to have major work done from blast injury while working as a government official overseas.

The bulk of my experience at the VA was far worse than the normal hospital care I've received before or since. So bad, as a matter of fact, that I refuse to go anymore - even though I could get the care gratis, I pay to go to a regular hospital.

What care have you been provided at the VA?
No your wrong!! These guys who just make up their info know more then you. Summary so far according to them is that there is no healthcare consolidation happening right now and va doctors are not the same ones affiliated with big famous universities, what else oh yea doctors are pocketing almost 100% of what gets billed to insurance and so rich doctors are the source of waste. Insurance companies are just trying to be nice and help ppl but govt regulated them too much. What else? These are all the alternative facts these insane republicans here stick to. If you show them real info they will cry and throw some memes at you. Be careful around here haha good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #117
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
No your wrong!! These guys who just make up their info know more then you. Summary so far according to them is that there is no healthcare consolidation happening right now and va doctors are not the same ones affiliated with big famous universities, what else oh yea doctors are pocketing almost 100% of what gets billed to insurance and so rich doctors are the source of waste. Insurance companies are just trying to be nice and help ppl but govt regulated them too much. What else? These are all the alternative facts these insane republicans here stick to. If you show them real info they will cry and throw some memes at you. Be careful around here haha good luck!!
i dont think you have actually read a word of what was written

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #118
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
I dont think anyone is saying that the actual DRs at the VAs are bad, it is the whole process at the VA.

Experiences I have been a part of are some similar to Run Silent . Rushed or overworked people that lead to things falling through the cracks and/or excessive waiting for something that most any other place would treat immediately. Seems the Gov way of running the VA is medicate till they forget. Complaining of pain? heres some pills and we will get to you when we get to you.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
Run Silent11143.00
MKSixer14033.00

05-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #119
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

Quote:
Fantastic! Then perhaps we can discuss via PM or another avenue, why:

1) After EVAC, I was triaged in Camp Chapman and then transferred to the US mainland. Here I literally had a doctor call me a moron for allowing myself to be blown up. Note that at the time, I was not active military and was working for a government agency, seconded to a particular military group.

2) I received a staph infection while a patient at this VA facility and it took several days for anyone to administer antibiotics.

3) Two groups of my sutures ruptured due to improper techniques.

4) A member passed away in his bed across the hall and it took 7 hours before anyone noticed.

5) Some of my suture scars were so bad from poor wound closing, that I had to have the wounds re-opened and re-closed by a non-VA doc to prevent disfigurement.

6) Later, I returned to my local VA complaining of notable pain and what appeared to be internal beading near a wound site causing dark bruising. I was put on a waiting list for MRI with pain meds for five days. On day five, I was called and told that it would be another five days. Went to my local ER, where they found un-removed shrapnel still embedded in the wound site. I likely would have died had I continued to wait.
well i can certainly say that despite claims to the contrary the military is not truly filled with the "best and the brightest" and that extends to military physicians as well.

your unfortunate care sounds negligent but it would be a stretch to say that is was due to "government" healthcare, one can get bad care anywhere.

ALL hospitals struggle to manage infections, especially staph infections. its because hospitals are filled with sick people, many with infections. theres a huge focus on decreasing length of hospitals stays in ALL hospitals because of this.

sorry you had such an ordeal. from my direct experience, things like this happen all the time and in most healthcare settings. people miss stuff, people dont prioritize correctly and some doctors simply suck. but it would be wrong to think that a for profit hospital is somehow magically better. my experience is that for profit hospitals/clinics try to increase volume, decrease amount of time that docs spend with patients and are just as (if not more) restrictive in terms of costly diagnostics like MRIs. i can say with absolute certainty that i get the least push back from medicare and medicaid regarding more intensive treatments than i do from any private insurance company. medicare can be stingy with brand new medications but "in general" they put way less pressure on me to justify treatment than other insurers. id also say that tricare too is very flexible and generous.

you certainly had regrettable care, no doubt about it, i just dont think it was because of the government.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #120
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Part of the problem is that people are overthinking health care, like it's something special. Yeah, it can kill you, but you can also lose your life if you get accused and arrested for murder, for example.
In my view, health care should not be any different than many other similar areas, such as justice, social security, etc.

Is health care a right?
It's more a matter of fairness. What would you think if the government were to say that only the poor will receive SS when they retire?
That if you earn above a certain level, you can afford to build your own retirement nest, even though everybody is required to contribute to SS (to cover the poor)?
If you're a millionaire, you may not need the bread crumbs that SS will pay you, but since you paid into the system, it's only fair that you receive SS when you retire.
Same with justice. If you're arrested, you have the right to free council. You may not want it. but you have that right.

So... why don't "rich" people want the free council above?
Because, it's no "OJ dream team". It's just to satisfy basic needs. A legal safety net, if you will.
Why can't that be done for health care as well?
Medicare for all would be that medical safety net. The government already runs something similar... it's called the VA.
If you really want it, you get in line. No, it doesn't have to suck. Canada, Scandinavia and many countries do it, it's very possible.
Obviously, we can't expect a medical dream team, no expenses bared approach to everyone. For that, you go to your private doctors, just like you'd hire your private lawyers. But if you can't afford a dream team, it's better than dieing or going bankrupt because you got in a car accident, as it is the case now.

You know who would be against that? The AMA.
Sorry to say this, but they are NOT watching for our best interest. It's their best interest first. From artificially limiting the number of doctors the system produces every year, to spreading bogus ideas such as "mammograms are required for all women" (same with PSA for men), to decoupling health care from costs, so that they don't have to compete with each other on price.
What would you say if you're arrested and a random lawyer is assigned to you, except you have to pay, and they don't tell you what they charge per hour? Yes, I once asked the dietitian that I was sent to what she charges, and she doesn't have a price list (it's whatever insurance pays).
In that same line of thinking, isn't food a right for all? What would you say if restaurants don't have a menu/price list, and if you walk in, it's assumed you are hungry and you're fed the best steak in the house, because... they can't risk giving you anything less than the best they have. Don't we eat what they can afford? Don't we have the legal representation that we can afford? Why must they have the best health care?

Here's an idea: make doctors volunteer X number of hours per year to community service.
If we had that, then we could make health care work the same way that our justice system works - if you can't afford a doctor, one will be provided to you, free of charge (medicare for all?). Again, it doesn't have to be dream team level of care. For that, you go private.

Last edited by MPBK; 07-01-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer14033.00