BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #23
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

"if a homeless person and or family snuck into your house and just decided to stay there because their quality of life is horrible would let them stay or would you notify the authorities and have them help the individuals find the appropriate place to stay legally? i do not have any issues with individuals or families here coming legally and applying for citizenship or seeking asylum without gaming the system. my issue lies with people illegally entering or abusing the system through loopholes or other avenues which takes away from individuals who may need it more or benefit from these resources. not just at the southern border but nationally and from any country where individuals like this hail from."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but crossing the border into our country and immediately seeking authorities is an acceptable method that was laid out for those people seeking asylum. They are welcome to be here until they can appear in front of a council that can determine where they are from and if it is a case of asylum.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #24
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Anything showing a 10 year high seems to be pretty much - well, completely incorrect.
i guess npr and nyt are "fake news". let's wait and see what 2019's numbers look like.

https://www.themonitor.com/2019/03/0...-76k-february/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeeseegod View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but crossing the border into our country and immediately seeking authorities is an acceptable method that was laid out for those people seeking asylum. They are welcome to be here until they can appear in front of a council that can determine where they are from and if it is a case of asylum.
clearly all the folks entering illegally are headed straight for the authorities. especially the ones sneaking in at night and or avoiding border patrol.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13911.00

03-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #25
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
When people complain about drugs coming across the border, it's absolutely correct to counter with the facts. They don't come across the unwalled border in any significant amount.
Wrong!

This counter point drives me nuts because it is steeped in fallacy. 90% of the drugs that were "SEIZED and/or CAUGHT" came across legal points of entry.

There is no documentation on how many drugs come into the United States that are not caught - for obvious reasons. Also for obvious reasons, one can ascertain that substantially more drugs coming into America that are not caught or seized are probably coming illegally across the border elsewhere, since there is very little control there compared to the standard entry points (hence wall).
You're right, they're probably coming over in go-fast boats or airplanes.

That wall is going to have to be pretty big.

Those 3 bricks of weed that some dude is walking across the border definitely is the problem.
Appreciate 1
vtown56.00

03-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #26
tracer bullet
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
i guess npr and nyt are "fake news".
Not normally. Where did you see NPR claiming it was at some record high, or whatever words you are describing them as saying? Got a link?

My chart actually came from an NPR article.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #27
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure it is a mix of all of those things. Heck - at least half of the mission of the Coast Guard these days is stopping drug traffic. Since they're annual budget is about $11 billion a year, spending $5 billion on a wall seems pretty reasonable to me.
The drug cartels already dig tunnels under the existing sections of wall. What's another $5 billion going to do? Nothing. I'd rather that $5 billion go to the USCG or CBP to get more people and more tools.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3531.00

03-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #28
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i believe the left says that if banning guns saves one life then it is worth it. if putting up a wall deters one illegal then it is worth it. no?
No, because they're not equitable.

Have you ever done a full Operational Risk Management analysis? This is like that. Basically does the risk outweigh the results? Can you mitigate some of the risk? Is it still worth the results? If not, all stop. If so, continue with controls in place.

Quote:
what about the other links that i show stating it is at 10yr highs. even npr and nyt are stating 76k people entered illegally in one month alone and the border cannot handle this.
They're not at 10 year highs though. What you are talking about is family units. It's selective reporting to catch an audience. It obviously caught you. Yes, some posters here will argue that 1 illegal is 1 too many. That's not realistic. My argument for months has been if Trump wants to throw money at this problem, it isn't for a wall. It's need to be at people, technology, and tools. I even posted an article from the CBP saying exactly that.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #29
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .2pdk View Post
One definition of "invasion" is the incoming or spread of something usually hurtful.

Illegal immigration is illegal for a reason.

Quantification is subjective.
I understand
Trumps ignorance invaded the GOP. And we are all suffering the consequences.
      03-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #30
chetrickerman
Pro Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I understand
Yep, suffering under a booming economy, low unemployment, growing GDP, etc etc. He has really fucked us over......

Not to mention the fact that all these politicians and idiots supporting illegal immigration is a HUGE slap in the face to the immigrants that entered and became citizens LEGALLY
ASR Kratos billet turbos, Essex/AP 9668 BBK, AR design downpipes, Custom charge pipes, custom intakes, MHD, Awron DGA, RW Carbon GTS hood, Status Gruppe Carbon CSL trunk, Carbon rear diffuser, AutoTecknic Carbon mirrors, GC Camber plates, KW HAS, Fall-Line Race Toe arms, SS Brake Lines, UUC SSK, Insane Crank hub, Ozmo titanium lugs, BC Forged RZ01
Appreciate 5
glennQNYC5127.50
arkie6300.50
PR3CI5N480.00
MKSixer13911.00
W211F3045.50

03-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #31
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:

clearly all the folks entering illegally are headed straight for the authorities. especially the ones sneaking in at night and or avoiding border patrol.
Don't have to sneak--just pay. done deal. Been going on for years.
      03-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #32
chetrickerman
Pro Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The drug cartels already dig tunnels under the existing sections of wall. What's another $5 billion going to do? Nothing. I'd rather that $5 billion go to the USCG or CBP to get more people and more tools.
So might as well just let it happen right? So ignorant.

Its hilarious how liberals complain about spending money on the wall, yet spend BILLIONS on actual useless shit.
ASR Kratos billet turbos, Essex/AP 9668 BBK, AR design downpipes, Custom charge pipes, custom intakes, MHD, Awron DGA, RW Carbon GTS hood, Status Gruppe Carbon CSL trunk, Carbon rear diffuser, AutoTecknic Carbon mirrors, GC Camber plates, KW HAS, Fall-Line Race Toe arms, SS Brake Lines, UUC SSK, Insane Crank hub, Ozmo titanium lugs, BC Forged RZ01
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #33
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Quote:
So might as well just let it happen right? So ignorant.

Its hilarious how liberals complain about spending money on the wall, yet spend BILLIONS on actual useless shit.
That's what you got out of that comment?
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #34
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Can I suggest a totally original idea? How about checking what security professionals say? Not political appointees but the career BP, USCG, DEA agents. How do they want to solve it?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:57 AM   #35
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
What invasion? We're at a low point in illegal immigration in this country.

Drugs come in through ports of entry, not the unprotected border.

Demographics of a country change, it sounds like that is what is causing you the biggest heartache. Those demographics have been changing since this country was founded.

Illegal immigration isn't going to bankrupt us or cause this country to fail. That goes back to my earlier point where it sounds like you just don't want the demographics to change.
I take it you don't live by the border? In my county alone they are capturing about 800-1000 illegal aliens a day and that's only what they catch. When you take into account that most cities around me have a population of 50k you can see what kind of impact they are having on our local economies.
https://valleycentral.com/news/local...n-locals-react
These human smugglers also killed a family who was minding their own business. But you won't hear about this on your msm
https://valleycentral.com/news/local...ash-in-hidalgo

You can see why local officials don't want any "walls."
https://valleycentral.com/news/local...til-sentencing

Last edited by shockin330i; 03-19-2019 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 3
MKSixer13911.00
arkie6300.50

03-19-2019, 05:26 AM   #36
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I understand
I understand your frustration but if "ignorance" invading a political party was illegal the newly elected coven on the far fringes of the left would have been hung high by now...

Name:  images s.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  9.0 KB
Appreciate 3
iconoclast3210.50
MKSixer13911.00
Germanauto3245.00

03-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #37
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

The drugs aren't coming across the border argument is laughable. Who's telling you this nonsense.

The scariest epidemic of my lifetime? Fentanyl. The Chinese and Mexicans are killing machines. Never mind all the black tar, meth and cocaine.
Shrug.

Fentanyl has taken over America's drug market. Where is it coming from?
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...617-story.html

A wall won't stop them but it will create a funnel. Concentrating the crossing targets; I am for.
MKSixer13911.00
Germanauto3245.00
arkie6300.50

03-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #38
tracer bullet
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Yep, suffering under a booming economy, low unemployment, growing GDP, etc etc. He has really fucked us over......
I'll give him credit for continuing a trend that started shortly after the big bust that the end of 2008 was. Do you give anyone else credit for the early portion of that trend?
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #39
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'll give him credit for continuing a trend that started shortly after the big bust that the end of 2008 was. Do you give anyone else credit for the early portion of that trend?
But he didn't have the magic wand...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/03/11/trumps-policy-magic-wand-boosts-manufacturing-jobs-399-in-first-26-months-over-obamas-last-26/amp/
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13911.00

03-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #40
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
I don't think either president (or many presidents at all, for that matter) have a large enough impact to the overall economy to say they earned or didn't earn credit for it.
God bless Ronald Reagan is all I have to say...
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13911.00
SakhirM49298.50

03-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #41
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...box=1552946226

Earning more supporters
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #42
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

And you should know as well as anyone once the DoD appropriates that money into certain areas, that's where stays.

Oh, you underexecuted your flight hour program and would like to use those funds to get a couple more LGTRs since the funding for that was cut short, too bad.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #43
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Agreed. I always thought it was silly too. Fortunately, at least in naval aviation, we were no longer ostracized for underexecuting. Now were those funds went were a mystery to me.

With that said, the money in the different "pots" is still that. Pulling a couple billion out of military infrastructure projects just means those projects don't get funded and we continue to kick the can down the road like we've been doing for the last 15 years. Unfortunately, we have to work within the rules that are approved for us.

But hey, the funds Trump wants is about a new Columbia class SSBN. We just sacrifice one of those, and boom, 55 miles of wall/slats/angry beavers. He barely understands what the nuclear triad is anyways.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #44
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
The problem is that the democrat party has been pandering too heavily to the far left minority and believes that if the agree on "literally anything" that has Trump's name on it, then the world will end.
Literally all you have to do is swap "Republican" for "Democrat," "right" for "left," and "Obama's" for "Trump's" and you've described the last 10 years...

I agree with you that hyperpartisanship is the largest problem in politics right now; but if you are gonna call it out, call it out on both sides
Appreciate 1