BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

Question Telescope Peoples on here???? Need some Tips

This thing finally went on sale so I bought it, I get it tomorrow due to amazon prime, love that shit!

What do I need now, name me a couple great filters (maybe for the moon) and eye pieces I should get! Any other tips I would love to hear!!! I heard getting a bigger battery is a nice thing to have as well.. ?

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Nice! That's no small piece of gear either. Get a camera adapter. Something like that is on my wish list.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Nice! That's no small piece of gear either. Get a camera adapter. Something like that is on my wish list.
Will do! Any eye pieces you would recommend or anything?

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by My335iTT View Post
Will do! Any eye pieces you would recommend or anything?
No, sorry. I haven't started down this path yet myself. But I hope to soon.

This would be a good place to ask, though:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...play.php?f=136

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...play.php?f=126

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 05:28 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I spent some time studying telescopes for a potential purchase but haven't purchased yet.

Don't think you should buy any accessories before receiving the unit.

First thing, research collimating a telescope.

Second a binocular eyepiece set up. Eyepiece purchase could be tricky (price) research Nagler. Have to make sure the eyepiece barrel diameter are appropriate for your scope.

This time of year you have to let the scope get to temperature of your on a cooler climate.

One of my favorite books is BANG UNIVERSE, by Moore, Lintot & May ( Brian May, guitarist for Queen )
Book isn't outdated but it's old enough not to have the immediate latest theories or discoveries but it's close. Worth considering.

Don't spend money on observing the moon - DSO deep space objects may not be the scopes capability but learn where nebulas are and Andromeda Galaxy, I know so little not even sure Andromeda is observable from the Northern Hemisphere, but that's the stuff you want to learn. The moon will bore you in one week and even the rings of Saturn will quickly tire so be prepared and join a local Star Party astronomical club if available.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 06:04 AM   #6
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
not even sure Andromeda is observable from the Northern Hemisphere
I was looking at M31 straight overhead a couple of nights ago on a clear (relatively) dark night in Southern California. Sure wish I had the OP's Celestron to look through.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #7
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I spent some time studying telescopes for a potential purchase but haven't purchased yet.

Don't think you should buy any accessories before receiving the unit.

First thing, research collimating a telescope.

Second a binocular eyepiece set up. Eyepiece purchase could be tricky (price) research Nagler. Have to make sure the eyepiece barrel diameter are appropriate for your scope.

This time of year you have to let the scope get to temperature of your on a cooler climate.

One of my favorite books is BANG UNIVERSE, by Moore, Lintot & May ( Brian May, guitarist for Queen )
Book isn't outdated but it's old enough not to have the immediate latest theories or discoveries but it's close. Worth considering.

Don't spend money on observing the moon - DSO deep space objects may not be the scopes capability but learn where nebulas are and Andromeda Galaxy, I know so little not even sure Andromeda is observable from the Northern Hemisphere, but that's the stuff you want to learn. The moon will bore you in one week and even the rings of Saturn will quickly tire so be prepared and join a local Star Party astronomical club if available.

I do have the telescope now, thanks for the help!

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

NERDS!!!

Have been secretly wanting one since the movie "Can't buy me love"
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3

What do I need now, name me a couple great filters (maybe for the moon) and eye pieces I should get! Any other tips I would love to hear!!! I heard getting a bigger battery is a nice thing to have as well.. ?[/QUOTE]

Check out his site for deals on used equipment:
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/

A variable lunar filter is a must for that large of aperture:
http://www.telescope.com/Accessories...sc/48/e/14.uts

Don't skimp on your oculars. I've always purchased Televue and have never been disappointed. The old Meade line (series 4000) is very good too. The sky's the limit (pun intended), I have more $$ in them than the scope. Naglers are their top of the line. The discontinued Radian line is also very good for the price. Specially if you wear glasses. You can find these in eBay or the astromart link above. Look for the longest eye relief and widest FOV.

I had a Meade 8" cat like yours and went to a smaller Televue refractor. Found that my go-to occulars for the 8" were 40mm, 26mm (both Plossl), and 9mm Nagler. If you can find a 9mm Nagler type II you will love it. Just like they say, it's a space walk!

Wish you clear and dark skies!
      11-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #10
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseM3 View Post
What do I need now, name me a couple great filters (maybe for the moon) and eye pieces I should get! Any other tips I would love to hear!!! I heard getting a bigger battery is a nice thing to have as well..
Check out his site for deals on used equipment:
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/

A variable lunar filter is a must for that large of aperture:
http://www.telescope.com/Accessories...sc/48/e/14.uts

Don't skimp on your oculars. I've always purchased Televue and have never been disappointed. The old Meade line (series 4000) is very good too. The sky's the limit (pun intended), I have more $$ in them than the scope. Naglers are their top of the line. The discontinued Radian line is also very good for the price. Specially if you wear glasses. You can find these in eBay or the astromart link above. Look for the longest eye relief and widest FOV.

I had a Meade 8" cat like yours and went to a smaller Televue refractor. Found that my go-to occulars for the 8" were 40mm, 26mm (both Plossl), and 9mm Nagler. If you can find a 9mm Nagler type II you will love it. Just like they say, it's a space walk!

Wish you clear and dark skies!
?[/QUOTE]

What size of filter do I choose? Man I wish I could learn all this quicker, I still don't dare to take the scope outside. Temps are now hitting 30/35 degrees so I don't know if I will have problems, I know I need a battery incase I am out longer then normal, is this enough>

http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000m...12v+power+pack

Do all vibration pads work the same?

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-9350.../dp/B0000665V7

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
?

What size of filter do I choose? Man I wish I could learn all this quicker, I still don't dare to take the scope outside. Temps are now hitting 30/35 degrees so I don't know if I will have problems, I know I need a battery incase I am out longer then normal, is this enough>

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-9350.../dp/B0000665V7[/QUOTE]

In cold weather take the scope outside for at least 30 minutes to let the elements acclimate to the cold. Leave the primary lens cover on to prevent dew and condensation from forming. Also when you bring it in put the covers on the primary objective and lenses first to prevent condensation. You won't have any problems in the cold weather, except for staying warm!
You will have dew form on the objective. This usually limits the observing time. I would recommend a good quality dew shield. I've actually used a heavy brown paper bag formed in a tube about 8" long. Works well and you throw it away afterwards. What ever you don't wipe the dew off the objective lens. Let it evaporate normally you will smudge/scratch the lens and it's a pain to clean properly.

I can't recommend batteries as I've always old schooled "star hopped" to find what I was looking for and used the alt/azm manual controls to track the object. Don't think your scope has this type mount. I do know in the cold if you wrap the battery in some sort of insulation it will extent the charge.

Looks like your scope uses 1 1/4" eyepieces. This is the most common size and is dictated by the star diagonal size and visual back of the scope. That's the size filters you need. With your dark skies in Utah you shouldn't need nebula filters. Try not to look directly at the dim deep sky objects. Use your peripheral vision as your eye is more sensitive there to low light. Most people think that they will see all the dazzling colors seen in the photographs. The only colors that I've seen with a 8" scope is with the Orion nebula which shows a light green color.
For planetary work I've found a #80A blue and #21 orange thread-in filters bring out details on Mars and Jupiter well. These are relatively cheap and screw onto the end of the eyepiece. Additionally a good mirror type diagonal is usually recommend over a prism type for light transmittance. I went with a 2" diagonal and have one like this in perfect condition for sale if your interested. PM me.

http://www.lumicon.com/store/p/199-1...-Diagonal.aspx

Never used vibration pads. Never need them if your on a solid surface with a decent tripod. Maybe if your on a wooden deck or something like that.
      11-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Where on the car do you mount this thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 04:17 AM   #13
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-9350.../dp/B0000665V7

In cold weather take the scope outside for at least 30 minutes to let the elements acclimate to the cold. Leave the primary lens cover on to prevent dew and condensation from forming. Also when you bring it in put the covers on the primary objective and lenses first to prevent condensation. You won't have any problems in the cold weather, except for staying warm!
You will have dew form on the objective. This usually limits the observing time. I would recommend a good quality dew shield. I've actually used a heavy brown paper bag formed in a tube about 8" long. Works well and you throw it away afterwards. What ever you don't wipe the dew off the objective lens. Let it evaporate normally you will smudge/scratch the lens and it's a pain to clean properly.

I can't recommend batteries as I've always old schooled "star hopped" to find what I was looking for and used the alt/azm manual controls to track the object. Don't think your scope has this type mount. I do know in the cold if you wrap the battery in some sort of insulation it will extent the charge.

Looks like your scope uses 1 1/4" eyepieces. This is the most common size and is dictated by the star diagonal size and visual back of the scope. That's the size filters you need. With your dark skies in Utah you shouldn't need nebula filters. Try not to look directly at the dim deep sky objects. Use your peripheral vision as your eye is more sensitive there to low light. Most people think that they will see all the dazzling colors seen in the photographs. The only colors that I've seen with a 8" scope is with the Orion nebula which shows a light green color.
For planetary work I've found a #80A blue and #21 orange thread-in filters bring out details on Mars and Jupiter well. These are relatively cheap and screw onto the end of the eyepiece. Additionally a good mirror type diagonal is usually recommend over a prism type for light transmittance. I went with a 2" diagonal and have one like this in perfect condition for sale if your interested. PM me.

http://www.lumicon.com/store/p/199-1...-Diagonal.aspx

Never used vibration pads. Never need them if your on a solid surface with a decent tripod. Maybe if your on a wooden deck or something like that.
Thanks for the help!

I heard this mount/gps causes a lot of vibration so I should get some just not sure if there is a specific kind I should be looking for.

I am all about making the alignment quicker, do you think this would be worth it??
http://www.amazon.com/Celestronl-939...t_sims?ie=UTF8

Can you link me to a dew shield you think would work good?

Thanks again!!

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:10 AM   #14
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I hope you're using this thing for peeping through windows or something useful like that.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #15
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-9400...ope+dew+shield

If the vibrations are coming from the
The mount I don't think pad isolators will do any good.
      01-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #16
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Something like this

already bought that thanks!

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #17
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Something like this

Quote:
already bought that thanks!
Talk about a timely reply!
Appreciate 0