BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Runners: Advice/thoughts please.

I do the gym thing four days a week and have started hitting the tread mill at the end.

I have never been a "runner" and am experiencing pain in my shins. It gets to the point after only about a quarter of a mile that I need to slow down to a fast walk or cut it off.

Wearing good Asics running shoes.

My buddy is even older than I am and he is next to me going at it like the wind. Of course this can't happen.

Am I poop out of luck or do I need to just get through the pain until my shines figure out what is up?

I am not tired by any means. Just pain. I want to be able to start going on night runs etc.

Going for a bite. Hopefully when I get back someone will have told me to try this or that.

Thanks!
      10-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
You probably have shin splints. They typically occur when you switch surfaces that you run on. I used to get them when I would switch from field hockey season to basketball season.

Try (and this sounds silly) getting on your back and bending your knees and just drawing the alphabet in the air with your toes. You should probably stay off of them for a week or so and then try. If you push it too much, they can actually turn into a stress fracture. Also ice and you can try taping them, but I don't feel that works really well.

Good luck!
      10-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Try an elliptical machine instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Your shoes may not be right for you. Are they worn out? Try going to a Road Runner Sports and see if they can see what type of shoe suits you the best depending on your natural gait/running style/etc..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/in...egoryId=222919

This might not be the cure-all but it might help. At stores like Road Runner sports they have treadmills and video cameras that capture the way to run for free.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

My 2 cents

Sounds like shin splints. The common factor in shin splints usually (not always) is overprontation of the lower extremities (a falling in toward the center line of the body) caused by glutes that don't work due to weak deep abdominal wall musculature. The glutes decelerate pronation so when they don't work (or function) you get overpronation of the lower extremities resulting in an overpronation injury such as shin splints. Because I cannot assess you this may or may not be the case, but it should offer a start point.

I would not run with pain as the body will naturally try to avoid the pain resulting in dysfunctional motor engrams or movement patterns thereby creating compensation and more dysfunction. Pain is the body's signal that something is wrong. Don't ignore it. Some people simply are not stable enough to run and must prepare the body to due so. The rule is stability before mobility or injury will result at some time.

Possibles as to why your shin splints occur -

weak "core"
overpronation
muscle imbalance/postural issues
weak anterior (front) of lower leg
weak calves, tight calves
poor movement mechanics/running form
improper footwear/arch support
weak posterior (back side of the body)

Rehabilitation -

improve core stabilization - weak core = unstable pelvis = unstable hip, knee, ankle, glutes that don't function, and overpronation

assess posture and correct imbalances (seek professional help in this matter if possible)

assess gait/running mechanics

assess footwear

stretch/foam roll - hips, IT band, hamstrings, quads, calves, hip flexors (psoas), back; improve ankle mobility and stability

strengthen the anterior tibialis (front, lower leg)

strengthen entire posterior chain (calves, hamstrings, glutes, back) - weak posterior = compensation

improve strength, stability, and flexibility at the hips to minimize compensation
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks people.

^ This one flared off a slight AADD attack. I made through it though.

I am strong, if you will, but have never ran much. I had lunch with a nurse friend, very athletic, and she said try the elliptical machine for awhile.

I'll give that a shot and try again in a week or so to see if I have gained some strength in them ol' shins.

By know means do I have grapefruit calves or tree trunk thighs. Hopefully after some work my legs will be better suited to run.

When it's leg day at the gym I cringe, if that tells you anything.

Shoes are nearly new and fit like a glove BTW.
      10-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

i have shin splints...they friggin suck.....they wont go away and I haven't done any strenuous activity in the last two weeks.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

Shoes are nearly new and fit like a glove BTW.
Fit isn't everything Gonzo.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Romeo21779
Rep
Drives: Acura RSX

Another thing that you can do to help with shin splints, as per suggestion of my cross country coach:

Lay stomach down on your bed with your feet hanging off the edge of the mattress. Then curl your feet up to push into the mattress. After about a week or two, it should get better. Worked for me and a few others on the team.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
trauma2020
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 328

eat bananas... i've heard the potassium in them helps.
i used to get shin splints from too much running/basketball when i was younger, but i started eating a banana a day back when i was in college and have continued until now, and don't get shin splints anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Your shoes may not be right for you. Are they worn out? Try going to a Road Runner Sports and see if they can see what type of shoe suits you the best depending on your natural gait/running style/etc..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/in...egoryId=222919

This might not be the cure-all but it might help. At stores like Road Runner sports they have treadmills and video cameras that capture the way to run for free.
I couldn't agree more with this ^. I had the same problem and as soon as I went to a running store, they assessed how I ran and changed my shoes to ones that support an overpronator. After that, I could do my 3-6 mile run like butter. All shoes, and even all Asics, aren't created equal.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
I couldn't agree more with this ^. I had the same problem and as soon as I went to a running store, they assessed how I ran and changed my shoes to ones that support an overpronator. After that, I could do my 3-6 mile run like butter. All shoes, and even all Asics, aren't created equal.
Thank you. When I did valet in college I had shin splints (never did before in all my years of exercise and sports in HS). As soon as I switched up shoes, this solved the problem (may not for the OP but it is worth a shot and FREE).

I suggest the OP actually read the link I posted as there are different model ASICS for different body types/movements:

for ex: (taken from roadrunnner)
Stability (81)
Stability Plus (35)
Performance Stability (16)
Neutral (82)
Neutral Plus (23)
Performance Neutral (14)
Motion Control (9)
Motion Control Plus (10)

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ I was not blowing you off. I just got back to this thread.

I may give this "fit" thing a whirl and see what they conclude.

Tried the elliptical machine after working back and shoulders and they started to sting on it too.
      10-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

When I run on a treadmill I also get some pain in my shins, I do a stretch that helps them that you may want to try. I bend at the knees like I am squatting and go all the way down till your ass hits your ankles, stay in that position and lift your toes to the sky, that seems to give me a very good stretch.