BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Arrow Gigabit Internet

Previously had RCN (local provider to DC Metro area, I try to avoid Verizon/Comcast) at 55down/20up with basic TV (hardly watch TV these days, juts netflix/hulu/HBO online) and was very pleased with their consistency in speeds and pricing.

Found a new deal on their site recently for "up to" gigabit internet with basic TV for $80/mo after all fees/taxes, $15/mo cheaper than what I was paying previously.

They came in and hooked it up a little while ago and I've been testing between 300-950Mbps down and 30-40Mbps up on wired connections (all cat6, gig+ adapters) and a steady 200+Mbps on wireless connections.

They don't guarantee any speeds, but said if it drops below 155Mbps they'll "look into it". If it stays above 300Mbps on average I'll be fine with it. That's a ton of bandwidth for the 4/5 devices that I run.

Pretty happy with it so far - anyone have any experience with Verizon/Comcast offerings and what speeds they're actually hitting for $X?
      06-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Blacross
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tundra

That's a great deal imo. Around here we need business class fiber offerings to hit that bandwidth.
I run two 200/200 lines to the datacenter I operate and we probably pay around 2 grand a month for each of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I have cablevision and they just offered me (out of the blue) a three month trial of their high speed. I am getting over 150mbps now, which is pretty damn quick. Prior to this I was looking at around 50mbps. Your speed is BLAZING fast!

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I think MGM135is just got Verizon FIOS Gigabit service in the DC area. From what I've seen, FIOS Gigabit is getting pretty close to Gigabit speeds on both download and upload. I haven't seen any cable provider be able to close the gap on the upload speeds due to the current DOCSIS standards.

I have Comcast Blast service and have 150 down and 10 up service for about $86 a month.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

AT WORK, I just went from 2 bonded T-1 (3MB/s) for about $1200/month to Frontier FiOS symmetrical 300 for about $425/month. I can update software again!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I recently changed to AT&T Fiber here.

I can get over 700Mbps Down and 900+up. But only on my most powerful desktop with SSD and 16gb of ram. I have an old Core2duo laptop and can't get over 300Mbps Down on it hardwired.

All other devices are wireless and mostly get in the 300 range.

Blazing fast for my needs, I found that my wireless is the bottleneck most of the times, I've been looking into upgrading to a wireless mesh network or multiple AP around the house but haven't decided on a solution as yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Municipal symmetric gigabit fiber here.

My initial bottleneck was a firewall/router that couldn't NAT at those speeds. Bottlenecks these days are my wifi speed and the servers outside the ISP's network.

Netflix has a content server on the ISP's network.

I'd like to say its amazing having a connection that fast, but it's turned out to be so fast that I never think about it anymore. I just click on something to download and in very short order it's done.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I recently changed to AT&T Fiber here.

I can get over 700Mbps Down and 900+up. But only on my most powerful desktop with SSD and 16gb of ram. I have an old Core2duo laptop and can't get over 300Mbps Down on it hardwired.

All other devices are wireless and mostly get in the 300 range.

Blazing fast for my needs, I found that my wireless is the bottleneck most of the times, I've been looking into upgrading to a wireless mesh network or multiple AP around the house but haven't decided on a solution as yet.
If you want the best speeds possible out of a wireless system, do NOT do a wireless mesh. The best solution is to have all APs wired to the network. For multiple AP systems, there are two types: controller based and virtual controller/cloud based. I would go with a virtual controller/cloud based system which will do most everything you need and you won't be paying a premium to get into a controller based system. But keep in mind, cloud based systems require Internet connectivity. There are provisions where you can run an on prem controller to manage the APs but that gets into additional costs and design considerations. Also running a standard cloud based AP system makes you deal with annual subscription/licensing fees. For those reasons, I prefer virtual controller systems where the APs have the software to do all the management.

Another consideration is the type of AP. Getting an 802.11ac AP isn't enough. There are different types of 802.11ac APs: Wave 1 or Wave 2, 3x3, 4x4.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Municipal symmetric gigabit fiber here.

My initial bottleneck was a firewall/router that couldn't NAT at those speeds. Bottlenecks these days are my wifi speed and the servers outside the ISP's network.

Netflix has a content server on the ISP's network.

I'd like to say its amazing having a connection that fast, but it's turned out to be so fast that I never think about it anymore. I just click on something to download and in very short order it's done.
It's not just the NAT functions which affect performance of a router/firewall. It's also the actual routing and the firewall. I changed out a couple of my firewalls on my home network because the firewalls couldn't run at the max speed my ISP could provide with deep packet inspection turned on. With them running only stateful packet inspection, it was no problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Here in San Francisco, Sonic is a local internet provider. They have gigabit fiber to the house for $50 a month. No promotion - that's the regular price and includes free installation.

I tested it on speed test for 940mbps down and 100 mbps up. It's cheaper and faster than any cable or DSL connection. Very happy with it.
      06-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
If you want the best speeds possible out of a wireless system, do NOT do a wireless mesh. The best solution is to have all APs wired to the network.
Thanks for the advice, i was looking into Ubquiti's UAP-AC-PROs. Any experience with them, my house is cat5e wired, i would need a PoE switch and start with 2 APs at either end and add a 3rd if needed but i think 2 might work for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, i was looking into Ubquiti's UAP-AC-PROs. Any experience with them, my house is cat5e wired, i would need a PoE switch and start with 2 APs at either end and add a 3rd if needed but i think 2 might work for me.
If you buy The UniFis individually they come with PoE injectors, so no need for a PoE switch. (Unless you want one for other reasons of course.)

(I just set up a UAP-AC-LITE this evening, to replace some aging APs. I started with an AirPort Extreme and a TimeCapsule, then relegated those to AP-only duty when I replaced them with pfSense. The UniFi is my first 802.11ac device.)

To get the most out of Ubiquiti's equipment you need to use a controller, but their smartphone app can get stuff up and running the basics.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
elistan has more experience with the Ubiquiti equipment than I do which is zero. I've read up on them and they seem to be decent.

I do have extensive experience with Aruba Networks with both the IAPs (Instant Access Points) and the controller based system. I'm also getting up to speed with Aerohive. I have all three running on my home network in one form or another. I do like the IAPs a lot and you can get some pretty decent deals on eBay for some older units. The nice thing is they run just fine in a virtual controller setup. If you ever want to splurge on a controller, the IAPs can be converted into campus APs to be managed by the controller.

elistan is spot on that you don't necessarily need a PoE switch. Just use an inline power injector.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Previously had RCN (local provider to DC Metro area, I try to avoid Verizon/Comcast) at 55down/20up with basic TV (hardly watch TV these days, juts netflix/hulu/HBO online) and was very pleased with their consistency in speeds and pricing.

Found a new deal on their site recently for "up to" gigabit internet with basic TV for $80/mo after all fees/taxes, $15/mo cheaper than what I was paying previously.

They came in and hooked it up a little while ago and I've been testing between 300-950Mbps down and 30-40Mbps up on wired connections (all cat6, gig+ adapters) and a steady 200+Mbps on wireless connections.

They don't guarantee any speeds, but said if it drops below 155Mbps they'll "look into it". If it stays above 300Mbps on average I'll be fine with it. That's a ton of bandwidth for the 4/5 devices that I run.

Pretty happy with it so far - anyone have any experience with Verizon/Comcast offerings and what speeds they're actually hitting for $X?

OP just got fios gigabit last Friday. mY first bill is 72.48

Here are my speeds all the time:

Name:  speed.JPG
Views: 1225
Size:  30.3 KB
      06-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Glad I'm not the only nerd here lol. It seems like if you're in a pretty metropolitan area you're much more likely to get gig speeds and at a good rate.

When I lived in a more rural area and had fios it was much more expensive than what I pay now and it was only 155/25 IIRC. Mind you that was a few years ago now as well.

I'm pretty impressed with some of the offers you guys have got too, looks like ISP's are starting to step up their game...maybe it's because they'll be allowed to sell our search histories now LOL. VPN is my next project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
OP just got fios gigabit last Friday. mY first bill is 72.48

Here are my speeds all the time:

Attachment 1644698
That's pretty unreal. Is that your actual rate as expected or is that a first-month promotion or something? The RCN deal was much better for new customers, I think the first month was free and then the equipment was no charge too. Bringing it down to $65/mo for the same setup I have, which is comparable to your price. The other good thing about RCN is there's no contract, so I can dip out as soon as I see something better if desired.
      06-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #16
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Glad I'm not the only nerd here lol. It seems like if you're in a pretty metropolitan area you're much more likely to get gig speeds and at a good rate.

When I lived in a more rural area and had fios it was much more expensive than what I pay now and it was only 155/25 IIRC. Mind you that was a few years ago now as well.

I'm pretty impressed with some of the offers you guys have got too, looks like ISP's are starting to step up their game...maybe it's because they'll be allowed to sell our search histories now LOL. VPN is my next project.

That's pretty unreal. Is that your actual rate as expected or is that a first-month promotion or something? The RCN deal was much better for new customers, I think the first month was free and then the equipment was no charge too. Bringing it down to $65/mo for the same setup I have, which is comparable to your price. The other good thing about RCN is there's no contract, so I can dip out as soon as I see something better if desired.
That is the actual rate and no contract. Its a regional thing that Fios just rolled out a few month ago for metropolitan areas in the north east.

And yes, I also was skeptical at first so let see how it plays out and if the speed can be maintained as more people jump on this bargain bus....
      06-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #17
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
That is the actual rate and no contract. Its a regional thing that Fios just rolled out a few month ago for metropolitan areas in the north east.

And yes, I also was skeptical at first so let see how it plays out and if the speed can be maintained as more people jump on this bargain bus....
That's really good then, by far the best I've seen with the best actual rate vs advertised. RCN isn't listing it as guaranteed, just "up to gigabit" so I knew not to expect an actual full gig, but it's nice to know that's actually a possibility now.
      06-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #18
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

in next month or so I will have fiber available in my house for $100