BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

New laptop?

First things first, let me say I'm just above a novice when it comes to all things computers. On a 1-10 scale, I'd say I'm a 4 possibly 5.

I currently have a 13" Macbook Pro, model year 2011 I think. It's showing signs of age-not running anywhere near as fast as when I first bought it, battery last maybe 3-4 hours on full charge. Another thing I've noticed is it never used to get pop-ups but lately its doing that sometimes.

I thought about saving my files on a USB and then restoring it to factory settings and maybe that might alleviate some problems but want some advice from the techies as to my options. Is it time for a new laptop after 6/7 years? Should I stick with Apple or look elsewhere for a cheaper option?

I don't need a really high tech laptop cuz my uses are basic work on Microsoft Office, browsing and I like to have a movie or youtube playing while I'm doing anything on my laptop. High on my list of reasons of getting the Apple years ago was the stigma of it not getting virus, malware, etc. and this is still tops on things I want if I get a new laptop. I wouldn't need huge storage space, I think 250GB would be more than enough and 8GB RAM.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
440GCSTL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440 Gran Coupe

First thing I would do is buy a backup hard drive and setup time machine to back up your entire hard drive. I would recommend one that has a USB C connection and a USB 3.0 so that you can use the 3.0 on your old machine and the C on your new machine. Then you can do a complete reinstall of the operating system and once installed you can import all of your settings and programs from time machine. I'd do that first before you go buy another computer.

I can't imagine going back to a PC and if you're a 4 out of 10 on all things computer I would buy another Mac in a heartbeat. Make sure you look up the refurbished ones first directly from Apple. You could pick up a June 2017 model 13" MacBook Pro with 8GB and 256GB for $1189.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Are you tech savvy enough to replace the harddrive with a solid state and pop in a new battery?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
seetohey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB, 6MT. Future: CTR

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
If that's all you do with your computer and no heavy digital content creation or gaming, then I'd highly recommend a Chromebook/Pixelbook. Between my MBP, Surface Pro, and Chromebook, I find myself on the Chromebook 85% of the time since majority of my time is spent doing exactly the stuff you listed.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
High on my list of reasons of getting the Apple years ago was the stigma of it not getting virus, malware, etc. and this is still tops on things I want if I get a new laptop.
"Honor among thieves" is long gone. You ARE a target. IF you have the above idea and take no action to protect yourself, you are now a VICTIM.

Here's how I prioritize spending money on a system these days:
1) RAM
2) SSD
3) it doesn't matter much after the above
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Costco is by far the best place to look for computers. I helped my dad buy one, for the features, it was far better than anywhere else (for an HP). For $700, he got a new I5, 12gig of memory, a huge screen, and several other goodies. They also have great deals on laptops with video boards.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GCSTL View Post
First thing I would do is buy a backup hard drive and setup time machine to back up your entire hard drive. I would recommend one that has a USB C connection and a USB 3.0 so that you can use the 3.0 on your old machine and the C on your new machine. Then you can do a complete reinstall of the operating system and once installed you can import all of your settings and programs from time machine. I'd do that first before you go buy another computer.
Thanks, I'm heading to Bestbuy next week and will bring up backing up my data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
Are you tech savvy enough to replace the harddrive with a solid state and pop in a new battery?
If it's just removing screws, replace and reinsert without any programming, then yes. Replaced the 8GB with 16GB after I bought once I found out it wouldn't void my warranty, didn't really notice much difference though. Probably cuz I don't have a bunch on windows running simutaneoulsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seetohey View Post
If that's all you do with your computer and no heavy digital content creation or gaming, then I'd highly recommend a Chromebook/Pixelbook. Between my MBP, Surface Pro, and Chromebook, I find myself on the Chromebook 85% of the time since majority of my time is spent doing exactly the stuff you listed.
I was thinking of switching to Chrome or the like since they cost half of what Macs go for and just getting anti-virus software since most of what I do is pretty basic. Also just briefly read the benefits of SSD, will most definitely be getting a laptop with.

Any specific model year 17/18 laptops you guys recommend I look into or ask about?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I would recommend a 13” MacBook Pro without the touchbar, a Microsoft Surface Notebook or a Dell XPS13. I have the MBP for personal use, the Microsoft Surface Laptop for work and we also issue the XPS13 which has a low rate of return at work. They aren’t cheap but troublefree.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Dump it & get a new mac air book or MacBook
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #10
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Surface anything gets my vote.
      12-22-2017, 12:54 AM   #11
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
"Honor among thieves" is long gone. You ARE a target. IF you have the above idea and take no action to protect yourself, you are now a VICTIM.

Here's how I prioritize spending money on a system these days:
1) RAM
2) SSD
3) it doesn't matter much after the above
Best advice in this thread. Since your use case is just using the Microsoft Office Suite and web browsing, you are not going to see the benefits of the newer generation CPU. By far the biggest improvement you can make to an older computer is the Solid State Drive.

In terms of doing this yourself. Replacing the battery and drive is very simple but you will have to reinstall OSX. It's not very difficult if you have the disc that came with your laptop. The replacement battery can be had for about $40-$70 from Amazon and a SSD can range from $100-$250 depending on capacity. Upgrading RAM is straight forward too so that might be something you want to look at as well if you decide to go this route.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBoo...body_Late_2011
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #12
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

replace battery add more ram you home free my man
      12-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Lenovo T series, only laptops i have used in eons, rock solid, built properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

If you decide to buy a new machine, check out the Dell XPS before you buy another Mac.

I've been both a PC user and an Apple user for many years. For me, there is nothing special whatsoever about a Mac laptop over a good Windows 10 laptop. the Dell XPS 13 is thin, lightweight, cheap (by comparison to Mac) and with Windows 10 a perfect machine (to me). Others will undoubtedly disagree. Just go into Bestbuy and test drive an XPS and see for yourself.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0