BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #45
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I always use Shell 93 in my benz - it's tuned for 93.

Wife's Volvo we use Shell 87 manual says it can run on regular - but 91+ every couple months is reccomended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #46
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I don't care as long as it's not BP, I'm not sure what it is, but BP gas makes my car run like ass. Wish they were as good as making gas as they are spilling it!

I generally go to costco or Shell just because costco is cheaper and there's a shell 3 blocks from me
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 06:48 PM   #47
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

Costco ftw, just have to go during off hours.
Psssssttttt....

COSTCO is Top Tier...
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6234.00
      07-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #48
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Read the thread, everyone, read the thread...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 12:19 AM   #49
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
It doesn't matter where you fill up. Premium is premium. So much has been made of this over the years and it's all hype and marketing. Tier One, special detergents, proprietary blends... it's all bullshit.
Well this and a few other posts certainly didn't age well. And here's more actual info..

https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...e-a7682471234/
cmyx6go15581.00
JJ 911SC21892.00
      07-07-2022, 12:26 AM   #50
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

I would not fill a loaner with premium much less top tier premium. No one else is.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 01:16 AM   #51
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Does anyone read the thread?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #52
antgenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 Infinity Q50  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
A friend of mine is a VP of the company that performs tests on all petroleum products on the East coast. Oil from the tankers, gasoline, jet fuel and so on. He once mentioned that Wawa gas is the most consistent in quality and the most close to the standards. Their lower rate gas is actually is a little bit higher on the octane number that is listed on the pump. And in general, there is no difference between brand names an no names.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 08:15 AM   #53
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgenn View Post
A friend of mine is a VP of the company that performs tests on all petroleum products on the East coast. Oil from the tankers, gasoline, jet fuel and so on. He once mentioned that Wawa gas is the most consistent in quality and the most close to the standards. Their lower rate gas is actually is a little bit higher on the octane number that is listed on the pump. And in general, there is no difference between brand names an no names.
Interesting. The petroleum experts in this thread will tell you otherwise.
      07-07-2022, 08:24 AM   #54
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Well this and a few other posts certainly didn't age well. And here's more actual info..

https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...e-a7682471234/
Don't care. I'll fill up at QuikTrip, Costco, BP, Shell, doesn't matter to me. It's generally the same shit. Splitting hairs over which is better 66, Chevron, or Exxon is a fool's errand. Everyone here is driving a commuter car, not a full blown track car with a built motor. Which premium fuel you run isn't as important as people in this thread are making it out to be.
      07-07-2022, 08:35 AM   #55
garyfried
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435ix

I only wish that here in Canada we were paying under $ 6.00 a gallon for fuel. We are currently at just about $8.00 a gallon and we are the cheapest in Canada. However to wade into the thread I usually go to Costco and we all know there are no Kirkland refineries so they buy gas on the spot market or obtain contracts where possible. When a truck pulls up to the refinery depot the truck is sealed and the product comes out of a large storage tank. I can't imagine the loader is adding some magic to some loads and none to others. As for Costco their tanks although stored in ground must get the greatest turnover of any fuel stations around.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #56
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgenn View Post
I would fully believe that level of octane consistency coming from the refineries. I've seen similar consistency in my work with various base fuels in my region. Fuel within a region is generally the same, additives are not and that is the differentiator along with station/tank cleanliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Don't care. I'll fill up at QuikTrip, Costco, BP, Shell, doesn't matter to me. It's generally the same shit. Splitting hairs over which is better 66, Chevron, or Exxon is a fool's errand. Everyone here is driving a commuter car, not a full blown track car with a built motor. Which premium fuel you run isn't as important as people in this thread are making it out to be.
You obviously have your own opinions and I'm not here to get into an internet debate but I have hands on experience with real engine/vehicle data that says you're wrong. Significant intake valve deposits and/or direct injector deposits that reduce fuel economy in every day commuter cars can occur in as little as 100 hours (roughly 4,000 miles) when using products containing the bare minimum EPA LAC fuel additives. Making consistent choices to purchase a quality product have proven results of keeping an engine cleaner and in better health while having a minimal financial impact (see the AAA study someone recently posted as one example). Do you think all engine, transmission, or gear oil is created equal? If you do, I've got news for you there as well...

People research the hell out of everything these days and choose premium products for a wide variety of reasons. For some reason people will drive across down just to save a couple pennies per gallon on an inferior product and I'll never understand that.
Appreciate 4
gjm1202181.50
cmyx6go15581.00
vreihen1614906.00
      07-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #57
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfried View Post
I only wish that here in Canada we were paying under $ 6.00 a gallon for fuel. We are currently at just about $8.00 a gallon and we are the cheapest in Canada. However to wade into the thread I usually go to Costco and we all know there are no Kirkland refineries so they buy gas on the spot market or obtain contracts where possible. When a truck pulls up to the refinery depot the truck is sealed and the product comes out of a large storage tank. I can't imagine the loader is adding some magic to some loads and none to others. As for Costco their tanks although stored in ground must get the greatest turnover of any fuel stations around.
Additive is injected as the truck loads. What and how much additive depends on what account the truck is loading for. The gas in the tank at the terminal, depending on where the terminal is, can be loaded for 5-10 different buyers. Companies exchange gaso so they can make sales at a location where their sales volume doesn't justify building a terminal.

I've heard but kind of doubt this one - Costco injects their additive at the retail location.

Sorry if this info has been spelled out before.
      07-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #58
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post
I would fully believe that level of octane consistency coming from the refineries. I've seen similar consistency in my work with various base fuels in my region. Fuel within a region is generally the same, additives are not and that is the differentiator along with station/tank cleanliness.

You obviously have your own opinions and I'm not here to get into an internet debate but I have hands on experience with real engine/vehicle data that says you're wrong. Significant intake valve deposits and/or direct injector deposits that reduce fuel economy in every day commuter cars can occur in as little as 100 hours (roughly 4,000 miles) when using products containing the bare minimum EPA LAC fuel additives. Making consistent choices to purchase a quality product have proven results of keeping an engine cleaner and in better health while having a minimal financial impact (see the AAA study someone recently posted as one example). Do you think all engine, transmission, or gear oil is created equal? If you do, I've got news for you there as well...

People research the hell out of everything these days and choose premium products for a wide variety of reasons. For some reason people will drive across down just to save a couple pennies per gallon on an inferior product and I'll never understand that.

I'm convinced (and probably incorrect) that the additive package in Chevron/Texaco gasolines is the best. The compound PEA (polyether amine) is considered to work when used consistently. Qualifier to any additive use is that direct injected cars (which mine is not) get no valve cleaning benefit because the gasoline doesn't comes in contact with the intake valves. Some cars have dual injection, but I don't think any of the E9x, E8x do.
      07-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #59
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I'm convinced (and probably incorrect) that the additive package in Chevron/Texaco gasolines is the best. The compound PEA (polyether amine) is considered to work when used consistently. Qualifier to any additive use is that direct injected cars (which mine is not) get no valve cleaning benefit because the gasoline doesn't comes in contact with the intake valves. Some cars have dual injection, but I don't think any of the E9x, E8x do.
All detergent types work best when used consistently. PEAs do work very well but can be expensive to use in packages. They are very common in aftermarket bottles like the STP silver bottle I recommended earlier.

A slight correction to your comment about cleanliness. Yes, direct injection vehicles do not see intake valve cleaning benefits due to the lack of fuel washing the back of the valve however there still is a cleaning benefit for the direct injector itself. Carbon deposits build up inside the injector and on the tip which can reduce fuel economy and performance. Some manufacturers (BMW with valvetronic) have found ways to mitigate the DIG IVD issue and others (Toyota, Ford, etc.) have introduced dual injection systems for fuel economy and IVD cleanliness reasons.
Appreciate 2
gjm1202181.50
      07-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #60
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Im more about gas stations. I only use 93 but I really, really prefer finding nicer corporate stores because I want more nicer corporate stores. QT is preferred: Free air, free gas, clean bathrooms, etc. That way I increase the odds when I need air, water, or a clean shitter because of bad clams there is one on the side of the road.
Appreciate 1
KevinC3076.00
      07-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #61
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post
All detergent types work best when used consistently. PEAs do work very well but can be expensive to use in packages. They are very common in aftermarket bottles like the STP silver bottle I recommended earlier.

A slight correction to your comment about cleanliness. Yes, direct injection vehicles do not see intake valve cleaning benefits due to the lack of fuel washing the back of the valve however there still is a cleaning benefit for the direct injector itself. Carbon deposits build up inside the injector and on the tip which can reduce fuel economy and performance. Some manufacturers (BMW with valvetronic) have found ways to mitigate the DIG IVD issue and others (Toyota, Ford, etc.) have introduced dual injection systems for fuel economy and IVD cleanliness reasons.
Understand about injector cleaning and that is a benefit of using gasolines with good additive packages even in DI engines. I only mentioned there is no intake valve cleaning benefit unless there is a dual injection system.

Also, Gumout Regane and obviously Techron contain PEA. I'm sure there are others.

Your consistent use comment is one I've been operating under for a long time. If I can't get to a top tier outlet, or get annoyed at the ridiculous regular-premium spread at a major, I'll drop about 20ml of Techron in when I fill up at a cheapo station like a Kroger fuel. I don't think the PEA 'butts heads' with whatever additive is in the cheap fuel, but may be wrong on that.
hoki06228.50
      07-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #62
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Am I the only person here that has built an extractor rig to remove the ethanol that the feds require in gasoline?????
      07-07-2022, 12:32 PM   #63
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

You dont have ethanol free stations where you live?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 12:41 PM   #64
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I’ve gone from a 76 only guy to Chevron to Shell and now Costco. In general, I like to stick to Chevron and Shell if not Costco.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      07-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #65
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
You dont have ethanol free stations where you live?
Not an option in metro pollution areas, which is where all of our regional fuel comes from. I'd have to drive an hour deeper into the sticks to be free of the ethanol tyranny, and it isn't worth the trip for lawnmower/generator fuel.....
      07-07-2022, 05:19 PM   #66
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Am I the only person here that has built an extractor rig to remove the ethanol that the feds require in gasoline?????
A still?
Appreciate 0