BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-15-2022, 08:14 PM   #45
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraitorJacKnife View Post
I don't know why you think that's a tinfoil hat worthy comment. The technology already exists and has been equipped in cars for a while now. Onstar modules on GM cars can remotely communicate from an outside source to tell the ECU to disable stolen vehicles. It's not unreasonable or even ridiculous to be worried about all these communication devices on modern cars, ICE or EV.
Because it's not EV specific and the "government" isn't going to come through "the grid" and disable your car. It's nonsense. Will never happen. I develop embedded software and electronics for a regulated industry and know how segregation of systems, risk analysis, and separation of concerns are handled in automotive. Pure fearmongering from people without any critical thinking skills who see black helicopters and the deep state in everything. It's right to be concerned about it from a global cybersecurity perspective, but no, the feds aren't going to disable your car because your social credit score isn't high enough or whatever bullshit these nutters believe. It will not happen in the West.
Appreciate 4
///MPhatic13807.50
TimmyM56241.50
Vivek.1366.00
      06-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #46
TraitorJacKnife
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Because it's not EV specific and the "government" isn't going to come through "the grid" and disable your car. It's nonsense. Will never happen. I develop embedded software and electronics for a regulated industry and know how segregation of systems, risk analysis, and separation of concerns are handled in automotive. Pure fearmongering from people without any critical thinking skills who see black helicopters and the deep state in everything. It's right to be concerned about it from a global cybersecurity perspective, but no, the feds aren't going to disable your car because your social credit score isn't high enough or whatever bullshit these nutters believe. It will not happen in the West.
I disagree on what the above poster said is pure fearmongering. Both extremes, thinking that nothing will happen and thinking that the worst will happen are both short sighted. Where the technology exists, there's always potential for it to be abused, whether by governments or larger corporations that have close ties to government. Your simple dismissal of a potential and real problem can be seen as short sighted, perhaps mixed with a little hubris. How quickly people forget the Snowden Revelations.

The west is already undergoing a sort of period of decadence, so who knows what's to come next. The coronapanic and "travel passports" that were attempted in certain backwards western countries leads more credence to the tinfoil hatters I'd say. In addition, we have these irrational "green movements" and "war on climate change" people who more than likely would want those remote kill switches implemented to immobilize people of a particular political leaning. You're probably right in that something like this won't happen in the US, but UK, NZ, Canada, I'd be less hopeful about.
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
Holset272.50
DrFerry6727.00
      06-15-2022, 08:57 PM   #47
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I disagree on what the above poster said is pure fearmongering. Both extremes, thinking that nothing will happen and thinking that the worst will happen are both short sighted. Where the technology exists, there's always potential for it to be abused, whether by governments or larger corporations that have close ties to government. Your simple dismissal of a potential and real problem can be seen as short sighted, perhaps mixed with a little hubris. How quickly people forget the Snowden Revelations.

The west is already undergoing a sort of period of decadence, so who knows what's to come next. The coronapanic and "travel passports" that were attempted in certain backwards western countries leads more credence to the tinfoil hatters I'd say. In addition, we have these irrational "green movements" and "war on climate change" people who more than likely would want those remote kill switches implemented to immobilize people of a particular political leaning. You're probably right in that something like this won't happen in the US, but UK, NZ, Canada, I'd be less hopeful about.
Comparing sane, data driven public health measures with politically-motivated remote kill switches in cars tells me all I need to know.
Appreciate 3
pz6193277.00
TimmyM56241.50
Vivek.1366.00
      06-15-2022, 08:58 PM   #48
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Well I for one called the voter fraud hotline and told them the new 5G antennas in my neighborhood activated my vaccine microchips and forced me to vote against my will.
Appreciate 7
chris7197331.50
M8Bimmer1265.00
Cos270608.50
pz6193277.00
TimmyM56241.50
Lucky1647.00
      06-16-2022, 06:10 AM   #49
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Don't ever move to canada if you enjoy owning a car.
You might as well take your mommy on the track with you.
Driving freedoms in canada are so under attack it barley worth owning a car in some places. My stinkin city is actively encouraging folks to not drive. Buy a bike they say. Fuck them. When are they gonna make these cyclist get insurance? Why do i have to provide them with my insurance because they have none at all. They wanna use the road...pay the fuck up then!
Anyways...what rights and driving pleasures are being taken from all you guys in terms of driving enjoyment and freedom?
Up here in canada it's a matter of time before they drive you in terms of the self driving car. These jerks can't wait til we all don't have the ability to actually drive the car.
You know, there's no reason to sugar coat it like that. Tell us what you really think!

Seriously though, if there was an 18 mph limit that was enforced by cameras where I live I'd have a For Sale sign in my front yard. Well, or maybe start a camera ticket fund and just go ahead and blow through them at speed. F'em indeed!
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1265.00
      06-16-2022, 12:13 PM   #50
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
If you don't want to be caught speeding, get a white cargo van.
I swear I'm invisible to cops whatever my speed is.
As I see it, a white cargo van is no threat to his masculinity but the black Z4MC, oh yeah.
I don't speed when I'm in town, too many smart phone zombies wandering around but on the open highway, get out of my left lane.
This is why I drive a white wagon, but with 450 h.p. N54 and keep it on OEM wheels and not too low.

But I really believe it's about cell phones and being distracted when they start taking away priveleges.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 04:32 PM   #51
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Well I for one called the voter fraud hotline and told them the new 5G antennas in my neighborhood activated my vaccine microchips and forced me to vote against my will.
Yeah but you live in Alaska which is really just like America's Penal Colony, I dont think your votes officially count anyways.

Appreciate 1
RM72891.00
      06-16-2022, 08:04 PM   #52
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Vote them out every chance you get.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 09:09 PM   #53
inkachicken
Rep
Drives: Acura MDX

Good one mate.

Thought I'd join a BMW forum cos I wanted to learn about BMWs--not a circlejerk for QAnon chodes.
Appreciate 4
RM72891.00
chris7197331.50
kyriian883.50
TimmyM56241.50
      06-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #54
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
I sure feel bad for you guys living in liberal low speed no parking cities. The speed limit through historic tourist downtown where I live is 80 MPH and youre legally required to fire your gun into the air to let them know to stay out of your way. Yeehaw bitches! I will admit that gets a little stressful sometimes so it's nice to fly to Canada so I can take a 4 mile walk to a cafe and lick a biscotti.
Appreciate 4
________4158.50
Cos270608.50
Lucky1647.00
      06-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #55
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Same over here too it really started to kick off around the millennium and get worse every year.
Might see some change starting this fall with our election but i doubt it would change much changing the ruling party's.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #56
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
I never saw the need to drive fast in a residential area. If you don’t have kids or never have taken a kid to school. Sit in the parking lot during school zone hours and just watch what goes on. You don’t realize the importance until you have kids.
its not only the "kid" factor, when I am driving in a beautiful residential area I like to lower my top, raise the volume on my radio and drive slow enough to really check out the houses, parks, etc. IMHO there is more to life than driving at high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 03:30 PM   #57
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
I sure feel bad for you guys living in liberal low speed no parking cities. The speed limit through historic tourist downtown where I live is 80 MPH and youre legally required to fire your gun into the air to let them know to stay out of your way. Yeehaw bitches! I will admit that gets a little stressful sometimes so it's nice to fly to Canada so I can take a 4 mile walk to a cafe and lick a biscotti.
Holy shit
      06-19-2022, 07:06 PM   #58
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Don't ever move to canada if you enjoy owning a car.
You might as well take your mommy on the track with you.
Driving freedoms in canada are so under attack it barley worth owning a car in some places. My stinkin city is actively encouraging folks to not drive. Buy a bike they say. Fuck them. When are they gonna make these cyclist get insurance? Why do i have to provide them with my insurance because they have none at all. They wanna use the road...pay the fuck up then!
Anyways...what rights and driving pleasures are being taken from all you guys in terms of driving enjoyment and freedom?
Up here in canada it's a matter of time before they drive you in terms of the self driving car. These jerks can't wait til we all don't have the ability to actually drive the car.
They're concerned climate change is going to make the US inhospitable forcing Americans to move north.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 12:05 AM   #59
TraitorJacKnife
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci 6MT

Quote:
Comparing sane, data driven public health measures with politically-motivated remote kill switches in cars tells me all I need to know.
You're asinine to think the "sane health measures" you speak of weren't politically motivated. A lot of the ridiculousness and overreach of government power occurred during the general election season if you forgot already. Most of those measures had no rhyme or reason to them either despite evidence pointing to the contrary. That being said, this is not the forum to discuss that.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
DrFerry6727.00
      06-20-2022, 12:39 AM   #60
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
You're asinine to think the "sane health measures" you speak of weren't politically motivated. A lot of the ridiculousness and overreach of government power occurred during the general election season if you forgot already. Most of those measures had no rhyme or reason to them either despite evidence pointing to the contrary. That being said, this is not the forum to discuss that.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 12:51 AM   #61
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Most of those measures had no rhyme or reason to them either despite evidence pointing to the contrary.
So evidence pointed them having a rhyme or reason? Or is it a rhyme and a reason? That would be contrary of having no rhyme or reason. Or would it just take one?
      06-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #62
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
They're concerned climate change is going to make the US inhospitable forcing Americans to move north.
Shhhh!

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 06:22 AM   #63
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
Quote:
Now you got me going....lol. I see you are another lover of that disaster.

That LRT is the worse idea this city ever had. If I was the King, and I should be, lol, I'd jail everyone responsible for voting it in. 800 million dollars to drive people to the mall. Northfield drive is now a joke completely.
It takes me 15 minutes some days to do a 5 minute drive. What a mistake that junk was.
I have to say that there is lots of pleasurable driving to be had once out of the tri city. Niagara Escarpment and Hockley to name a couple.
Heading to Rattlesnake now
I like Hockley! Pretty restrictive speed limits though. Guys on bikes do don't seem to care :
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1265.00
      07-01-2022, 06:25 AM   #64
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
I never saw the need to drive fast in a residential area. If you don't have kids or never have taken a kid to school. Sit in the parking lot during school zone hours and just watch what goes on. You don't realize the importance until you have kids.
its not only the "kid" factor, when I am driving in a beautiful residential area I like to lower my top, raise the volume on my radio and drive slow enough to really check out the houses, parks, etc. IMHO there is more to life than driving at high speeds.
This. Thats how I enjoy residential roads in the car. I'm actually too nervous to drive fast in these places anymore. Too much at stake for everyone. Maybe I'm getting old.

Now I wish they'd do more enforcement of tailgaters and left lane hogs then immediately raise the speed limits on 400 series highways but thats a different story.
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1265.00
      07-01-2022, 06:31 AM   #65
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I like Hockley! Pretty restrictive speed limits though. Guys on bikes do don't seem to care :
Less about the speed for me as long as roads fairly empty, more about the drive.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 06:31 AM   #66
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
In the US, I’m holding out hope. States and localities are removing ticket quotas. Crappy way to measure performance and most police hate giving out tickets anyway unless it’s for something egregious.

Now if we can have some no limit autobahns, fewer cameras etc, I would be happy. I actually wouldn’t mind cameras for security, just not for speeding. Trying to find a bank robber, kidnapper, I get it.
Appreciate 0