BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Anyone here working in CNC world?

I started last year as basic operator with minor schooling and company I work for is sending me off two set up school in next few months. Hours at previous company were crazy and pay sucked glad I made jump to this place.

I actually enjoy going to work again.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615140.50
Tommy-G4478.50
      12-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

My dad is a retired precision toolmaker / machinist with a degree in metallurgy and advanced mathematics. He started back in the 1960's and worked for about 50 years. It was a very hands on job back then, everything was mechanical but he of course had to adapt with the times. CNC and EDM machines is what most of his work switched to. There were still times when something had to have that fine touch and they would call the old guys in to figure it out.

It was sad to see his career go down the tubes towards the end. He started in 1968 at a company of just 5 and worked there to see it go into the 2k+ range, unfortunately he saw its collapse as the company outsourced to China. He was one of the last handful that closed the plant down. It really messed up his retirement and his self esteem. He was happy to see that due to poor water conditions in China the company failed with their plans. He had to completely start over again with his job though, was working with the young guys at a new company only making $15 per hour. Was an absolute slap in his face. Luckily he only had to work for 2 more years before retiring.

Biggest thing I can tell you is don't get too planted somewhere in your industry. As machines are taking over the learning curve just isn't there any longer. Soon robotics will be king. Make sure to constantly stay up with the times and try to either start your own shop or move into management.

Sorry if this is a negative post and I'm not trying to bum you out, just want you to be-aware. He absolutely love what he did and he had an amazing time when it was good. Many things you use today he had a hand in. He even got to meet the President due to what they were making for the military at the time.
Appreciate 2
rcracin1242.50
shiftdnb376.50
      12-11-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4!

There is an absolute shortage of qualified CNC programmers and operators in the Southern California area. Congratulations on continuing your education, it’s the smart thing to do and increases your overall value. You’re headed in the right direction!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:17 PM   #4
rbhjr01462
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, X3

good career move

I am in MA too, and up to a few years ago I worked at a company that had around a dozen CNC machining centers, swiss mills, CNC lathes. We are in N Central MA and we had a real hard time getting anyone from entry-level to experienced to fill positions - and even the companies that we occasionally outsourced surge levels to, they struggled getting qualified people. You are definitely getting into a field where demand exceeds supply.

Something to keep in mind for your longer-term career path. Commonwealth Fusion Systems is building a large manufacturing facility in Devens and it sounds like they will be doing a lot of machining and fabrication there making nuclear fusion systems - opening up manufacturing there in around 2 years. That could be a really intereresting project to work on.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhjr01462 View Post
Something to keep in mind for your longer-term career path. Commonwealth Fusion Systems is building a large manufacturing facility in Devens and it sounds like they will be doing a lot of machining and fabrication there making nuclear fusion systems - opening up manufacturing there in around 2 years. That could be a really intereresting project to work on.
Wow, that sounds interesting. I would think they'll have some strict security policies in place. Nuclear fusion stuff is indeed the future and would also imagine many would love to infiltrate companies that have an expertise in this space.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Congratulations! Manufacturing is on the upswing in this country and should continue that way for some time (good number of years). Ignore naysayers and Debbie Downers.

Keep learning. The way to be successful in any business, especially manufacturing, is to grow your skills and value to your employer and customers.

If you have the desire and ability, think about growing into a leadership role where you might run a department or factory. Your hands on knowledge and experience will be respected and valued in those types of leadership roles. And you will have career options.

If you have the desire and ability, complete a four year degree in business if you have not already done this. Night school is one way to do it.

I have been in manufacturing for more than 30 years, it’s a great place to be. Now is the best time to be in manufacturing in the past 30 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I will not be going back to school to finish my bachelors, as I have two associates and at my age I don't want to be a babysitter anymore. Did that for far to many years in the service and while I was working logistics.

No need for the degree, I have one retirement and I use this money to pay bills and budget aside for retirement.

Here in my region there is a huge shortage of good workers as well, the company I was working for was not diversified enough so I made the jump to another company for that reason plus the working conditions sucked. New shop is clean and organized. Thanks everyone for positive comments.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
We have no shortage of CNC jobs here in the Hudson Valley, just to your west. Although those motorcycle-building clowns (OCC) have fled our town for the Tampa area, there are still at least a dozen job shops nearby running CNC machines to produce aircraft parts, jet engine turbine blades, etc. The pay for entry-level CNC operators isn't spectacular from what I've been told by a friend working for one place, and each person is expected to babysit 4-6 machines at once each running a different job.

My $0.02 for a high-demand job in the northeast at the moment is HVAC/boiler repair and installation. Our boiler blew it's core before Thanksgiving, and most installers are booked through the end of January even for an emergency install.....
      12-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #9
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I owned a machine shop for 25 years as part of a specialized machine manufacturing business. We had numerous Hass CNC machines and loved them. Paid my guys well as I realized they were quite unique and a great asset to my business. Trick was getting them to run more than one machine at a time. Do that and you’ll be highly valued.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #10
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
At last employer I was running 4 machines on average at same time. Current employer is two machines at moment. We currently do medical and DoD plus aviation with some minor gun stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 04:59 AM   #11
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Started out CNC 10 years ago at a small carbide / TCT round tool shop. Did programming and setups on wire EDM's, lathes, mills, centerless grinders, cutter grinders, and pretty much anything else that was in the building. Loved the work, hated the hours and working weekends though.

Couple years later took a job as a tooling engineer and have since become a program manager contracted at an Eaton aerospace CNC plant. 5-axis milling, 3D printing aluminum and soon titanium. Pretty cool stuff. Making good money, no weekends, can work whatever schedule I want. Things have been really busy lately since I support the entirety of the plant, but it's a trade-off for all the other pros.
Appreciate 1
chassis6490.00
      12-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #12
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

My recommendation would be to push more towards CNC Programming than CNC operation. We throw "CNC Operator" resumes in the trash can because they usually just mean you're a button pusher with no real machining knowledge - not trying to be offensive, this is just often reality. Take advantage of the schooling being offered, ask a ridiculous amount of questions, and strive to improve the process and really understanding what you're doing. Machining is quite complex especially when you get into feeds & speeds, testing different tooling composition - then from the CNC side you have tool path efficiency, preventing machine collision, minimizing tooling breakdown, understanding gcode functionality yada yada yada. Often operators, unless cross trained in programming or manual, understand set-up - pressing the start button - and calling for help when there is a fault. Try not to get lost in the mundane nature of operation.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615140.50
      12-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #13
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I have had 6 months of hands on where we did some g code and plus feed and speeds but previous place of business just wanted button pusher and 11 hours of my life everyday so I took time to glean info from set up guys. At 55 I don't see myself working past 67 so not so sure there would be pay off, unless company was willing to pay. and I doubt they are.
Appreciate 1
chassis6490.00