BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-02-2022, 12:06 AM   #111
Ziosella
Private
Rep
Drives: EX Bmw 430i now M4F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I don't own a G82.

We know..under the flag of Brazil it reads "'22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S".

It's moving that you defend every BMW with such determination...with your regal ass on that gray and ugly thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-02-2022, 12:23 AM   #112
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
@sedan_clan a few points to add to the conversation (and to sidebar from the ridiculous name calling and whatnot the other poster was doing):

1- you brought up stopping distance. That has nothing to do with brakes. That is all traction. Unless the brakes fade during that breaking, every car has enough brakes to lock the wheels. How far they take to stop depends on the traction the tires have to stop. Stopping distance is immaterial to the floating/fixed piston discussion.
2- when you bring up that few people track their cars, and if they do they upgrade the brakes, you're somewhat making the point that BMW cheaped out on brakes. And they may have used the same logic you did.

I understand you're trying to say BMW didn't cheap out. A fixed calliper is more expensive than a floating single piston calliper. BMW decided to use a single piston floating calliper on a heavier car. If not for cost, what technical reason did they have?
I may have missed your perspective in other posts.

By "cheap out", let's understand BMW used what was necessary to have the car perform as they wanted it to, while making compromises to make the car viable (or else every part would be carbon fibre, for example, cost a fortune and not sell), and lucrative.

By "cheap out", some are making the case that BMW is profiting more now than they did.
Which is industry standard.
An engineer that develops a hub with one less bolt (e.g. from 5 to 4), while saving pennies per wheel, saves the company millions as millions of cars are built. That's how it works. I'm curious to understand how it isn't "cheaper, but it is better". Unless we're splitting hairs here and debating the semantics of "cheapening out". If we agree with this, I think we're all on the same page. Doesn't make the new brakes better though.
Thanks for posting.
  • I agree, and I did account for other things that contribute to stopping distance/ability, including tires, in one of my prior posts.
  • As for BMW's technical justification, I don't have the inside scoop to answer that with any authority. My speculation is/was the floating design they used was sufficient to meet the criteria they set forth. BMW also mentioned their electronic e-brake system is easier to interface with the floating caliper design. Whether or not that's a sufficient answer depends on where you stand on the issue. There are plenty of threads on this forum consisting of members debating this issue/non-issue. This would be a good question to ask the ///M division though. I'm sure some in-depth technical analysis might provide clarity for some and fall on the deaf ears of others (…who will undoubtedly exclaim, "Porsche does it. Why can't you?). I also think it depends on how one frames the question. Did BMW ///M change the set-up to be cheap?….or did they realize there was no justification for going with a more expensive set-up to achieve little gain? Keep in mind we're talking about a two piston rear caliper on the F8X. It's not like we're talking about 4 or 6 pot calipers in the rear that BMW jettisoned in favor of a floating caliper.

I think BMW balanced out the need to provide a better overall car than the outgoing model (…which objectively they accomplished; weight and personal opinion(s) about the aesthetics notwithstanding) while keeping overall costs reasonable. They brought a lot of positives to the table (…e.g. carbon fiber buckets, for example) for not much more expense than the prior model. It all depends on your vantage point I suppose. If you're looking for a reason to be mad at the company, look no further than rear brakes and hood lines. If you're reasonable in your assessments (…speaking generally, not directed at you personally), it's not hard to see that BMW brought a more premium product to the masses than what we got with the F8X. Make no mistake, I loved my F8X's just as much as any ///M car I owned prior, but I do feel the G8X is a step above the outgoing car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziosella View Post
Quote:
I don't own a G82.

We know..under the flag of Brazil it reads "'22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S".

It's moving that you defend every BMW with such determination...with your regal ass on that gray and ugly thing.
Yes, I have a Chalk 992. No, I don't defend every BMW. I just like to offer an alternative narrative to what's often posted in these threads.

Appreciate 4
VIERsr2620.50
________4157.00
Tornado1M1207.50
xlover2191.00
      07-02-2022, 01:08 AM   #113
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Don't agree at all, one is merely cosmetic the other is performance related.
If you don't understand the difference between a multi piston caliper & a sliding single piston caliper do some research.
It's simply a cost cutting exercise due to the implementation of an electric handbrake & SOME manufacturers (eg BMW/Mercedes) unwillingness to develop & implement a better solution than simply upping the front brakes stopping power or increasing rotor sizing. Some other manufacturers of performance cars do it properly (eg Ferrari/Porsche).
Yes you can obviously make it work but it's clearly never going to be as good a solution.
ANYONE who can't understand that ask yourself why did BMW feel a need to have multi piston calipers on the rear of the previous F series M cars which were also comparably lighter & less powerful cars…?
Sorry to go off topic but I get tired of the statements by those with zero mechanical understanding that are so willing to swallow & parrot whatever marketing bs they are fed.🙄
I think the one with zero mechanical understanding is you.
We are talking about rear calipers on a street car, since you are so expert you should know what impact this has on performance (nearly zero), the advantage of a multi-piston caliper at the rear is almost irrelevant and it is an unnecessary complication for a street car combined with the e-parking brake (this is the reason, just get informed before you talk randomly). Definitely not something to worry about.
It's funny to read about cost cutting, Bmw could have used more expensive calipers (since they exist) and passed the price onto the finished product and thus onto the customer, but the benefit would have been irrelevant and I thank Bmw for saving me this unnecessary cost (well, in case I had it).
There are much higher performance, heavier and more expensive cars than any Bmw with floating rear calipers, and they brake perfectly.
I have no idea about the final specs of this CSL (I don't even read all the speculation these days, I only trust the official documents that I haven't seen yet), but it is too early to judge.
You only have to drive a G8x to realize how much better it brakes than the F8x's multi-piston rear brake; judging braking performance by the number of pistons in the rear is like measuring manhood by the inches of your tool. Definitely forum bullshit.
Most people wouldn't even know they have a floating caliper at the rear if someone didn't tell them.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-02-2022, 01:20 AM   #114
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Name calling doesn't make your point for you (…talk is cheap coming from anonymous big mouths online; you wouldn't be so cavalier standing in front of me) and I don't own a G82.

We aren't talking race/rally cars with expensive braking systems. We are talking about a performance street car with plenty of braking power for the street and casual track duty. The G82 with a sliding rear caliper bests the lighter F82 with a piston rear caliper in all braking tests. Sure, some of that is larger rotors, etc., but it just demonstrates that a sliding rear caliper set-up doesn't immediately spell doom for performance. Most owners aren't tracking these cars anyway, and if they are, they are changing pads, brake fluids and/or brake systems altogether (..not to mention tires; all of which add up to better braking performance). For a street car, the G8X far surpasses what 95% of its buyers need.
The reason is so simple that it is probably too difficult for such knowledgeable professors to understand.
Bmw figured out where to increase braking (at the front, with a better caliper and wider rotors) and where to use a simpler solution (at the rear) without penalizing performance once it switched to electronic parking brake. They introduced the floating rear caliper back in 2011 with the F10 (first M car with e-brake) and no one complained, while it started to be a huge problem with the G8x for unknown reasons.
It's a win-win: we have a car with better braking performance, lower costs, less unsprung mass, and even better aesthetics (just compare the rear offset of the F8x and G8x).
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-02-2022, 01:27 AM   #115
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

It works but can't absorb as much heat obviously. Don't really care it looks smaller, my ego doesn't neither.
Attached Images

Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-02-2022, 01:28 AM   #116
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@sedan_clan a few points to add to the conversation (and to sidebar from the ridiculous name calling and whatnot the other poster was doing):

1- you brought up stopping distance. That has nothing to do with brakes. That is all traction. Unless the brakes fade during that breaking, every car has enough brakes to lock the wheels. How far they take to stop depends on the traction the tires have to stop. Stopping distance is immaterial to the floating/fixed piston discussion.
2- when you bring up that few people track their cars, and if they do they upgrade the brakes, you’re somewhat making the point that BMW cheaped out on brakes. And they may have used the same logic you did.

I understand you’re trying to say BMW didn’t cheap out. A fixed calliper is more expensive than a floating single piston calliper. BMW decided to use a single piston floating calliper on a heavier car. If not for cost, what technical reason did they have?
I may have missed your perspective in other posts.

By “cheap out”, let’s understand BMW used what was necessary to have the car perform as they wanted it to, while making compromises to make the car viable (or else every part would be carbon fibre, for example, cost a fortune and not sell), and lucrative.

By “cheap out”, some are making the case that BMW is profiting more now than they did.
Which is industry standard.
An engineer that develops a hub with one less bolt (e.g. from 5 to 4), while saving pennies per wheel, saves the company millions as millions of cars are built. That’s how it works. I’m curious to understand how it isn’t “cheaper, but it is better”. Unless we’re splitting hairs here and debating the semantics of “cheapening out”. If we agree with this, I think we’re all on the same page. Doesn’t make the new brakes better though.
As far as I know, Bmw does not manufacture or design brakes.
They merely choose which products to use from those offered by suppliers on the market (Brembo, in this case).
Brembo (not Bmw) produces both more expensive and higher performance solutions (multi-piston rear calipers with e-brake integrated) for exotic supercars, and simpler and cheaper solutions for street cars (floating single pot caliper with e-brake).
They could have chosen the more expensive solution and I'm pretty sure Brembo would have been more than happy to sell them, but it probably wouldn't have been worth it considering the intended use, that's all.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-02-2022, 01:39 AM   #117
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
As far as I know, Bmw does not manufacture or design brakes.
They merely choose which products to use from those offered by suppliers on the market (Brembo, in this case).
Brembo (not Bmw) produces both more expensive and higher performance solutions (multi-piston rear calipers with e-brake integrated) for exotic supercars, and simpler and cheaper solutions for street cars (floating single pot caliper with e-brake).
They could have chosen the more expensive solution and I'm pretty sure Brembo would have been more than happy to sell them, but it probably wouldn't have been worth it considering the intended use, that's all.
Exactly. Thus, more profits.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 01:57 AM   #118
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Of course, they don't do charity. But did we lose anything? I'd say no.
The only M-car with a multi-piston rear caliper was the F8x, which braked like crap just like its single-piston rear caliper predecessors.
The G8x won't go down in history for its braking (the grille steals the show), but the overall braking performance is a step up from its predecessor, and that's good enough for me. Too bad about the aesthetics of that tiny caliper, but whatever.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24832.00
________4157.00
      07-02-2022, 02:11 AM   #119
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Of course, they don't do charity. But did we lose anything? I'd say no.
The only M-car with a multi-piston rear caliper was the F8x, which braked like crap just like its single-piston rear caliper predecessors.
The G8x won't go down in history for its braking (the grille steals the show), but the overall braking performance is a step up from its predecessor, and that's good enough for me. Too bad about the aesthetics of that tiny caliper, but whatever.
….and therein lies the rub. On forums, people expect a manufacturer not to profit and any profit the manufacturer experiences seems to rub some the wrong way. They should never buy a Porsche then. That company's profits are off the charts.

I think you're also spot-on with reference to your other point in bold. We lost nothing.

Appreciate 2
VIERsr2620.50
      07-02-2022, 05:55 AM   #120
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Floating rear calipers simplify the cost and packaging when combined with the parking brake.

For street use you won't notice the difference, on my race car it makes a second a lap difference (apparently ;-)) and fade is better.

It also can look look ugly - both ways
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 11:49 AM   #121
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
MUCH better front fascia. Nobody here was opposed to a more distinctive front end, but what they gave the world is straight trash.
Shouldn't you be banned for saying that
Mods will ban him soon enough. Can't say anything critical about BMW on a BMW forum, lol.
Happened to me. Mods are softer than Charmin toilet paper when you a critique a G8X model.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2022, 11:56 AM   #122
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport (G20)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOh View Post
Atleast give it the proper holfmeister kink
Nobody really cares about that just like nobody cares about the revised hood line. That's a forum geek thing.
Not true, but ok.
Appreciate 1
GuyOh1064.00
      07-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #123
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Just for reference….
…an F82 needed about 151 feet to brake from 70-0 mph. The G82 needs 146 feet to achieve the same thing. Those numbers vary slightly depending on surface, time of day, etc., but overall stopping power isn't affected.
The reason for the initial brake advantage for the G series car is due to the tires.
G series cars have wider (by 20mm) and newer model tires that simply have more grip than the F series M Cars.
The brakes on the F generation cars are just better. The difference is initial braking vs sustained braking. Swap the tires and I would wager the F car will outperform the G car in both initial and sustained braking.
      07-02-2022, 02:36 PM   #124
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RDSECTOR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOh View Post
Atleast give it the proper holfmeister kink
Nobody really cares about that just like nobody cares about the revised hood line. That's a forum geek thing.
Not true, but ok.
We can agree to disagree. Most things complained about on the forum are not concerns of the average buyer. If you asked the average person about the Hofmeister kink, they wouldn't even know what you're talking about (…let alone its General Motors origins).
Appreciate 2
xlover2191.00
      07-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #125
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
The reason for the initial brake advantage for the G series car is due to the tires.
G series cars have wider (by 20mm) and newer model tires that simply have more grip than the F series M Cars.
The brakes on the F generation cars are just better. The difference is initial braking vs sustained braking. Swap the tires and I would wager the F car will outperform the G car in both initial and sustained braking.
This is absolutely false.
Front calipers: 2-pieces 4 pot / 380x30mm vs monoblock 6 pot / 380x36mm
Rear calipers: 2 pieces 2 pot / vs floating single pot, same rotors
The brakes on the G80 are clearly better.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24832.00
      07-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #126
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
This is absolutely false.
Front calipers: 2-pieces 4 pot / 380x30mm vs monoblock 6 pot / 380x36mm
Rear calipers: 2 pieces 2 pot / vs floating single pot, same rotors
The brakes on the G80 are clearly better.
+1
Appreciate 2
xlover2191.00
      07-04-2022, 11:10 AM   #127
Garage5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
If it would have a cooler motor than the S58, would have been awesome.

Squeeze a s65b44 in it or a s85 or s62.... that's real homage!

Currently own all 7 gens of the ///M3 = life complete
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #128
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

If they have this manual transmission, why not do a special run for for the 4-door fans on the G80. Maybe a US spec CS that is not an automatic? Seems like a lot of development cost to just use on one car.

Last edited by seis-speed; 07-04-2022 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #129
ThesaVeliona
Starry_Angel
Rep
Drives: '02 Lexus IS300 / '15 BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshlySnipes View Post
I wonder if this is what the LCI 4-series front will look like...
Are we even gonna get a LCI for 4er?
      07-05-2022, 11:47 PM   #130
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage5 View Post
If it would have a cooler motor than the S58, would have been awesome.

Squeeze a s65b44 in it or a s85 or s62.... that's real homage!
I certainly am not a BMW officinado by any measure of imagination, but, wouldn't it be going against the grain if you put an 8 or 10-cylinder engine in the car that's meant to be paying homage to the original 3.0 CSL which was a 6-cylinder car?

Afterall, that's one reason this car is only coming in manual transmission.
      07-06-2022, 05:25 AM   #131
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I miss the times when a bmw special model was truly just that, special. I guess I'm getting old lol

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 3
kyriian872.00
jp1984506.00
cotmfk2023.50
      07-06-2022, 09:53 AM   #132
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
I miss the times when a bmw special model was truly just that, special. I guess I'm getting old lol
Im under impression this is just a body kit for a 4 series with some glorified name and rediculous price tag.
Cos270608.50