BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-20-2022, 01:27 PM   #1
Zebrawr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi all, Hope it's OK to ask questions here? I'm new so apologies if I'm breaking any

Hi all,

Hope it's OK to ask questions here? I'm new so apologies if I'm breaking any rules or posting in the wrong place.

We recently had our left hand passenger side wing mirror replaced at a BMW repair shop.

When they returned the car to us, the plastic trim lining the inside of the door was caught under the metal of the door frame (pic attached). I was able to knock the plastic trim back into place, but is now a little loose compared to the trim on all other doors. When I press my fingers against the plastic trim, there is a little wriggle room now.

We took the car back to BMW, but they said this was normal, that in order to repair the wing mirror, this can happen - the plastic trim can become loose.

I am just wondering how true sounding this is?

Thanks for any help
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      06-20-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

NOT acceptable. They need to fix that, and you need to turn off your anti-gravity machine.
Appreciate 8
DrFerry6725.50
Violator4587.50
Wolf 3352340.50
pz6193277.00
Vivek.1365.00
      06-20-2022, 01:44 PM   #3
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

That sounds like a load of crap to me. That looks damaged, and they are just brushing you off.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      06-20-2022, 02:50 PM   #4
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebrawr View Post
Hi all, Hope it's OK to ask questions here? I'm new so apologies if I'm breaking any rules or posting in the wrong place. We recently had our left hand passenger side wing mirror replaced at a BMW repair shop. When they returned the car to us, the plastic trim lining the inside of the door was caught under the metal of the door frame (pic attached). I was able to knock the plastic trim back into place, but is now a little loose compared to the trim on all other doors. When I press my fingers against the plastic trim, there is a little wriggle room now. We took the car back to BMW, but they said this was normal, that in order to repair the wing mirror, this can happen - the plastic trim can become loose. I am just wondering how true sounding this is?
Thanks for any help
A couple of things come to mind here: 1) The Dealer has damaged your car and 2) No, their statement is untrue i.e. it is not normal to damage one part in order to repair another part.

The plastic window trim will very probably need to be replaced (by the Dealer) to ensure a firm fit. Make sure to document the damage with photos or video. Return to the Dealership and ask to make an appointment with the "Owner" of the Dealership. This strategy will probably scare the crap out of the shady Service Manager(s) who may then suddenly become more compliant regarding repairing the damage they caused to your car.

When you meet with the Dealership "owner" - and depending upon how you are treated - know that you can file a Police Report, and make a claim for damages in small claims court, as well as file a report with the Better Business Bureau. It's up to them to "delight" their customers. It's the essence of good customer service. Good businesses know how to delight their customers i.e. how to keep customers for life. It's a small, low cost cosmetic repair for them. What if they had damaged something under the hood while performing other services? Would they also claim that was normal too? Once this is all made right and to your satisfaction, don't go back there.
Attached Images

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #5
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebrawr View Post
Hi all,

Hope it's OK to ask questions here? I'm new so apologies if I'm breaking any rules or posting in the wrong place.

We recently had our left hand passenger side wing mirror replaced at a BMW repair shop.

When they returned the car to us, the plastic trim lining the inside of the door was caught under the metal of the door frame (pic attached). I was able to knock the plastic trim back into place, but is now a little loose compared to the trim on all other doors. When I press my fingers against the plastic trim, there is a little wriggle room now.

We took the car back to BMW, but they said this was normal, that in order to repair the wing mirror, this can happen - the plastic trim can become loose.

I am just wondering how true sounding this is?

Thanks for any help
This is unacceptable and what they are telling you is total BS!

Who at the dealer said this was normal?
  • Was it just your service advisor or the service manager?
  • If it was your advisor ask for the service manager.
  • If it was the service manager ask for the general manager.
You need to escalate the issue and make a stink!
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      06-20-2022, 05:47 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
A couple of things come to mind here: 1) The Dealer has damaged your car and 2) No, their statement is untrue i.e. it is not normal to damage one part in order to repair another part.

The plastic window trim will very probably need to be replaced (by the Dealer) to ensure a firm fit. Make sure to document the damage with photos or video. Return to the Dealership and ask to make an appointment with the "Owner" of the Dealership. This strategy will probably scare the crap out of the shady Service Manager(s) who may then suddenly become more compliant regarding repairing the damage they caused to your car.

When you meet with the Dealership "owner" - and depending upon how you are treated - know that you can file a Police Report, and make a claim for damages in small claims court, as well as file a report with the Better Business Bureau. It's up to them to "delight" their customers. It's the essence of good customer service. Good businesses know how to delight their customers i.e. how to keep customers for life. It's a small, low cost cosmetic repair for them. What if they had damaged something under the hood while performing other services? Would they also claim that was normal too? Once this is all made right and to your satisfaction, don't go back there.
+1
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      07-05-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
Zebrawr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all the amazing replies, help, comments and for having my back

I got back in touch with the people who repaired the door and took the car back into them yesterday. It's all fixed now

Thanks again for all the detailed replies and help! It really is massively appreciated.
Appreciate 4
      07-11-2022, 06:23 PM   #8
FuturPhil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Package

Garage List
2019 440i  [9.83]
Future emails to contact

Good for you. I had issues with my car recently and since the dealership wasn't doing anything I emailed corporate BMW and after that they definitely started listening to my requests as they got big complains from corporate.

If you ever have issues in the future I recommend emailing
Bernhard.Kuhnt@bmwna.com,
bmwgenius@bmwusa.com,
harald.krueger@bmw.de,
CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com

I got this corporate BMW lady to give me a call and we had several conversations and got my issues sorted out with the dealership I bought my car from.
Appreciate 4
Kromans1174.00
mzwerner393.50
Coi288.50
      07-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

To the OP...the purpose of a forum like this is to let folks ask questions and get answers from other users. So of course you can ask questions.
Appreciate 0