BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #45
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Anticlimactic Update: Yard clean up crew came out today. $250. It's done. Property management company never responded. I'm done, yard is clean, I've moved on. I am going to document the damaged, neglected, tree and send to the property management company and my insurance company.
Anti-climatic is probably the best outcome for this situation.

Also - found you a van. Just don't look at the price tag...

https://www.airstream.com/touring-coaches/atlas/
      02-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #46
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Anti-climatic is probably the best outcome for this situation.
Interesting turn of events. The landscape guy just texted to say he's done and that in his opinion that pine tree is damaged beyond repair and needs to be removed. I told him I agreed but that the property management company was ignoring me. "No worries" he said, I've done work for them in the past. I'll talk to them and see what I can do.

Quote:
Also - found you a van. Just don't look at the price tag...

https://www.airstream.com/touring-coaches/atlas/
I'll never buy a Sprinter van. Not only are they too expensive, my professional career crossed paths with them when MB was exporting them into the US under the Freightliner and Dodge badges. I know too much. Will never own one. besides, I need a van that can do this:

Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
wrickem2101.00
wdb4673.00
      02-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #47
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll never buy a Sprinter van. Not only are they too expensive, my professional career crossed paths with them when MB was exporting them into the US under the Freightliner and Dodge badges. I know too much. Will never own one. besides, I need a van that can do this:

Gotcha - here are some better options then. he he.

https://www.expedition-trucks.com/

https://www.expedition-trucks.com/ma...n-camper-truck

https://www.mainlineoverland.com/?gc...IaAgH9EALw_wcB
      02-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #48
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Ha ha ha! I've seen those Expedition Trucks on the road before. So freakin' cool. I love them! Dont even want to know the price. Way outta my meager budget. You know the saying: If you have to ask the price....

We just signed the contract on our soon to arrive Delica. It's in transport now. 57k original miles. We found a guy whose made quite a little business for himself bringing in vans that are great condition to start with (no rusted out garbage, which is a real problem with these). He then spends a couple months sorting them all out. New tires, belts, hoses, timing belt, seals, any misc. body/mechanical/electrical repairs. They come out the other side looking darn near brand new. Expecting to take delivery in May. Just in time for camping season!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #49
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ha ha ha! I've seen those Expedition Trucks on the road before. So freakin' cool. I love them! Dont even want to know the price. Way outta my meager budget. You know the saying: If you have to ask the price....

We just signed the contract on our soon to arrive Delica. It's in transport now. 57k original miles. We found a guy whose made quite a little business for himself bringing in vans that are great condition to start with (no rusted out garbage, which is a real problem with these). He then spends a couple months sorting them all out. New tires, belts, hoses, timing belt, seals, any misc. body/mechanical/electrical repairs. They come out the other side looking darn near brand new. Expecting to take delivery in May. Just in time for camping season!
Very nice - so this was one you found elsewhere - not the BAT one, correct?
      02-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #50
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Very nice - so this was one you found elsewhere - not the BAT one, correct?
Correct. Same exact paint scheme, year, and model as that one on BAT. I expect the condition after refurbishment will be very similar as well. I'm already collecting parts for it. Got a skid plate I found from a dude down in Portland coming. Got the thumbs up from the wife for a Hella offroad lighting package, tail gate mounted swing out rack, and some new wheels. Hitting REI this weekend to look for misc. gear to outfit. Just trying to convince the wife we need the snorkel kit for it. Not that we will ever be crossing water that deep but come on, what 12 year old kid cant say he hasn't wanted a 4x4 with a snorkel!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      02-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #51
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Correct. Same exact paint scheme, year, and model as that one on BAT. I expect the condition after refurbishment will be very similar as well. I'm already collecting parts for it. Got a skid plate I found from a dude down in Portland coming. Got the thumbs up from the wife for a Hella offroad lighting package, tail gate mounted swing out rack, and some new wheels. Hitting REI this weekend to look for misc. gear to outfit. Just trying to convince the wife we need the snorkel kit for it. Not that we will ever be crossing water that deep but come on, what 12 year old kid cant say he hasn't wanted a 4x4 with a snorkel!
Best of luck! Post some pics when it's all sorted!
      02-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #52
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Best of luck! Post some pics when it's all sorted!
You know I will!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      02-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #53
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
You know I will!
Or... Or there is this as an option.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a26443501/vw-bus-collection-for-sale/
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #54
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Or... Or there is this as an option.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...tion-for-sale/
I dont want a single nice VW bus, let alone 55 rotten ones!
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
Joekerr7926.00
      02-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #55
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Gotcha - here are some better options then. he he.

https://www.expedition-trucks.com/

https://www.expedition-trucks.com/ma...n-camper-truck

https://www.mainlineoverland.com/?gc...IaAgH9EALw_wcB
Need this for upcoming zombie apocalypse
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      02-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #56
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you're working with a company that buys the cars from the Japanese auctions, then? Are you sourcing the car from Japan and importing it, or buying a car that's already stateside, has gone through customs, etc?

Would be curious if you would recommend after all's said and done
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #57
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
So you're working with a company that buys the cars from the Japanese auctions, then? Are you sourcing the car from Japan and importing it, or buying a car that's already stateside, has gone through customs, etc?

Exactly. 1 guy stateside and his business partner in Japan. That's important. You need an outfit that has eyes on the ground so they can scout the best vehicles. They buy at auction but they also buy private party, which is where this one came from.

The van is greater than 25 years old so it can legally be imported and federal crash standards and emissions standards do not apply. STATE standards may still apply so, sorry if you are in CA. In my case in WA state a 25 year old vehicle does not need to go through emissions.

Lots of importers will bring the vehicle in and hand it over to you with a wad of papers that you then take to your DMV and hope to be successful. One of the reasons I went with the guys I wen with is because they have me the van already licensed and registered in their dealer name, in the state of Oregon. So it has an Oregon title and an Oregon registration. For me that means it's a simple transaction at the DMV in WA. That was important as I dont want any headaches.

There's some dudes who are WAY more ballsy then me that will head across the border to Canada where these vans are plentiful and will buy one private party and drive across the border with all the papers. So essentially THEY become the importer. I've read stories from folks who sailed right through and others who hit a particularly nasty border agent and had weeks of headaches.

I'll post up a new thread when I get the van with my experience, but generally speaking I'm paying a premium to not have all those headaches. Speaking of paying, we have a contract that specifies the VIN of the van, what work they will be performing, what work they will not be performing, etc. No money changes hands till I pick the van up, with the exception of a small, contractually refundable, deposit that got the ball rolling.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 02-22-2019 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
Darth One6612.50
      02-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #58
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I dont want a single nice VW bus, let alone 55 rotten ones!
But...but...some are `desirable`....

At least so the article says.

I myself am also not a VW fan.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #59
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. 1 guy stateside and his business partner in Japan. That's important. You need an outfit that has eyes on the ground so they can scout the best vehicles. They buy at auction but they also buy private party, which is where this one came from.

The van is greater than 25 years old so it can legally be imported and federal crash standards and emissions standards do not apply. STATE standards may still apply so, sorry if you are in CA. In my case in WA state a 25 year old vehicle does not need to go through emissions.

Lots of importers will bring the vehicle in and hand it over to you with a wad of papers that you then take to your DMV and hope to be successful. One of the reasons I went with the guys I wen with is because they have me the van already licensed and registered in their dealer name, in the state of Oregon. So it has an Oregon title and an Oregon registration. For me that means it's a simple transaction at the DMV in WA. That was important as I dont want any headaches.

There's some dudes who are WAY more ballsy then me that will head across the border to Canada where these vans are plentiful and will buy one private party and drive across the border with all the papers. So essentially THEY become the importer. I've read stories from folks who sailed right through and others who hit a particularly nasty border agent and had weeks of headaches.

I'll post up a new thread when I get the van with my experience, but generally speaking I'm paying a premium to not have all those headaches. Speaking of paying, we have a contract that specifies the VIN of the van, what work they will be performing, what work they will not be performing, etc. No money changes hands till I pick the van up, with the exception of a small, contractually refundable, deposit that got the ball rolling.
Sweet. That's my take too. Buy a car that's already stateside that you can inspect and drive. Works less well if you are looking for something rare and/or very specific, though

I was thinking of an R32 or a mint FD RX7...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #60
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sweet. That's my take too. Buy a car that's already stateside that you can inspect and drive. Works less well if you are looking for something rare and/or very specific, though

Or an R34 if you can find one. There's one for sale near me, but it is ridiculous at $99K.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #61
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

That would be the ultimate, for sure. I would wait until the 25 years elapsed before i got one though. The R34's here are all supposed to be either on show and display exemptions, or illegal
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #62
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:

There's a certain allure to the story of finding that mint car over in Japan and bringing it over here. The reality of it, unfortunately, is that rust and abuse is a real problem. You can find a ton of folks willing to "source" your perfect car for you, but how successful they will be is a crap shoot. You'll likely pay a bit more to just get one that's already landed. And for you, being in Florida, you'll pay another $1500 to get it shipped out there.

I don't know anyone on the East Coast who does importing (A quick Google search will certainly find some for you) and the guys I'm going with do strictly vans. If you get serious and want a starting point, you can talk to Adam at SODO Moto here in Seattle: http://sodo-moto.com/

I've never purchased from him but I know a few folks who have and they had a fine experience. I've spoken with him a couple times by phone and he's a friendly and helpful guy. Keep an eye on his "Incoming Inventory" page. I'm always happy to run down there and look at a car for you. It's 20 minutes from my house and 2 minutes from my favorite breakfast spot, so, win-win.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #63
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That would be the ultimate, for sure. I would wait until the 25 years elapsed before i got one though. The R34's here are all supposed to be either on show and display exemptions, or illegal
Yeah, I believe we only have to wait 15 years before we are exempted.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #64
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There's a certain allure to the story of finding that mint car over in Japan and bringing it over here. The reality of it, unfortunately, is that rust and abuse is a real problem. You can find a ton of folks willing to "source" your perfect car for you, but how successful they will be is a crap shoot. You'll likely pay a bit more to just get one that's already landed. And for you, being in Florida, you'll pay another $1500 to get it shipped out there.

I don't know anyone on the East Coast who does importing (A quick Google search will certainly find some for you) and the guys I'm going with do strictly vans. If you get serious and want a starting point, you can talk to Adam at SODO Moto here in Seattle: http://sodo-moto.com/

I've never purchased from him but I know a few folks who have and they had a fine experience. I've spoken with him a couple times by phone and he's a friendly and helpful guy. Keep an eye on his "Incoming Inventory" page. I'm always happy to run down there and look at a car for you. It's 20 minutes from my house and 2 minutes from my favorite breakfast spot, so, win-win.
Tanks...if I ever see any inventory there that interests me, I might take you up on that.

There were some "big", "respected" importers out here who all turned out to be scams. FL gonna FL.
Appreciate 0