BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Didn't know where to put this.

I am wanting to plan a trip in August that includes some of the spectacular passes in the Swiss/Italian Alps. In order to make that worthwhile, I feel like visits to Milan and maybe through Lake Como are mandatory. Driving from Munich or Salzburg, you also get very close to Venice.

This then starts to feel like a bit much. On the other hand, how could you skip Venice?

After the Alps, planning a trip to the ring, and then on to Paris and CDG for drop-off.

I would welcome your thoughts - especially if it helps direct my thinking on this. Thanks!
      04-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

So what's your question?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22
So what's your question?
Whether this is all too much driving - too out of the way.
      04-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Skip Milan! Unless you like mess that stinks like urine. Besides, it's too far south.

Do Munich Switzerland Austria instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche
Skip Milan! Unless you like mess that stinks like urine. Besides, it's too far south.

Do Munich Switzerland Austria instead.
Would you skip Venice as well?
How do you get into the passes if so?

It seemed like the best ones requires coming into Switzerland from northern Italy - and then I would continue north up to the ring through Switzerland and Germany. And from there to Paris.
      04-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

How many days? It depends on what you want to see and how many days you got.

You can't see it all though. Europe is an eternal vacation destination.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche
How many days? It depends on what you want to see and how many days you got.

You can't see it all though. Europe is an eternal vacation destination.
We are planning 10-12 days. 2 nights Munich, 1 night near Neuschwanstein, 2 nights Salzburg, 2 Venice, and then I don't really know.

I don't know anything about Switzerland other than that I want to drive some of the passes.

At least one night out by the ring. And then 2-3 nights in Paris.

We could probably skip Italy and save Venice for another trip, but i guess I'm not familiar enough with the area to know what that means for our route or the ability to drive that part of the Alps with a purpose and with somewhere to stay.
      04-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Wow, your fuel bill will be half what you paid for the car.

(J/K, sort of.)

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Skip the night near Neuschwanstein. It's an easy day trip from Munich. Better to spend another night in or near Salzburg. Awesome city. Go by way of Berchtesgaden and Ramsau. Stunning landscape through there.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

You are spending too little time in each place and too much time moving around. For 12 days, you should have 3, maybe 4 home bases and do day trips to nearby towns/cities. Unless you have been to Europe many times and enjoy being on the move constantly, 1-2 nights in each city is not enough.

This is just a quick route that I would do based on your criteria:
1. Start off in Munich and pick up your car; spend 3 days here
2. Drive to Salzburg (follow whichever path you want); spend 3 days here and do day trips to Berchtesgaden and Hallstatt (I abolutely loved Hattstatt which was a 30-40 min drive from Salzburg)
3. Make your way down to Venice and spend 2-3 nights there
4. I forgot how far Lake Como is from Venice but maybe you could spend an extra day in Venice and do a day trip to Lake Como; otherwise, stop by Lake Como for the day on your way to Switzerland
5. Drive to Switzerland and spend the rest of your time there and fly home.

That's about 12 days total and does not completely account for driving time. I just assumed that you would drive a few hours a day in the morning to each of the cities above thus allowing you to spend the rest of the day in whichever city you end up in (counts as 1 day).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
You are spending too little time in each place and too much time moving around. For 12 days, you should have 3, maybe 4 home bases and do day trips to nearby towns/cities. Unless you have been to Europe many times and enjoy being on the move constantly, 1-2 nights in each city is not enough.

2. Drive to Salzburg (follow whichever path you want); spend 3 days here and do day trips to Berchtesgaden and Hallstatt (I abolutely loved Hattstatt which was a 30-40 min drive from Salzburg)
4. I forgot how far Lake Como is from Venice but maybe you could spend an extra day in Venice and do a day trip to Lake Como; otherwise, stop by Lake Como for the day on your way to Switzerland

That's about 12 days total and does not completely account for driving time. I just assumed that you would drive a few hours a day in the morning to each of the cities above thus allowing you to spend the rest of the day in whichever city you end up in (counts as 1 day).
This. Your plan calls for way too much moving around. In saying that I didn't find Venice very appealing and found Switzerland absolutely stunning from top to bottom. But get your destination numbers down.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #12
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22

Hmm I'm not really calculating the number of days right now but I'll quickly just say 3 days in Salzburg is too much. Take away a day and spend that in Italy or Switzerland.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Hmm I'm not really calculating the number of days right now but I'll quickly just say 3 days in Salzburg is too much. Take away a day and spend that in Italy or Switzerland.
Nah. Salzburg is awesome. We spent 3 days there and only saw half of the cool stuff. And it's a very short trip from there to Ramsau or Berchtesgaden if he doesn't catch them on the way down from Munich.

The main thing is, you can't see everything in one trip and to really enjoy an area, you need to spend time there. We romped around northeast England last September and regretted moving around so much. Too many one stands. Next time we'll spend at least 2 and maybe 3 days in each area.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #14
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
Quote:
Nah. Salzburg is awesome. We spent 3 days there and only saw half of the cool stuff. And it's a very short trip from there to Ramsau or Berchtesgaden if he doesn't catch them on the way down from Munich.

The main thing is, you can't see everything in one trip and to really enjoy an area, you need to spend time there. We romped around northeast England last September and regretted moving around so much. Too many one stands. Next time we'll spend at least 2 and maybe 3 days in each area.
Ok, I think OP probably needs to specify what he likes to see then. Because all of us have different taste
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I think OP probably needs to specify what he likes to see then. Because all of us have different taste
Very true. Switzerland is on my bucket list and I have no doubt it's awesome. But you need to take the time to enjoy a place. I just hope I'm still healthy in retirement so we can rent an apartment or a house in a country and stay there for a month at a time. France, Switzerland, Italy, and Austria are all on my list. UK as well.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #16
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Very true. Switzerland is on my bucket list and I have no doubt it's awesome. But you need to take the time to enjoy a place. I just hope I'm still healthy in retirement so we can rent an apartment or a house in a country and stay there for a month at a time. France, Switzerland, Italy, and Austria are all on my list. UK as well.
I lived in Germany for three years so I was central to all those places
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #17
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I lived there for 6 years and sadly did little traveling. I seriously regret that now.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #18
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I lived there for 6 years and sadly did little traveling. I seriously regret that now.
Oh wow, what a shame! That's the best part about living there! (Well, that and the autobahn )
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #19
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Every time I see a thread about ED it makes me want to hop on a plane and fly there. I think I'm in love with Bavaria.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #20
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Every time I see a thread about ED it makes me want to hop on a plane and fly there. I think I'm in love with Bavaria.
Very cool place. I love Nürnberg and that area.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0