BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: Are you for or against this law
For 21 84.00%
Against 4 16.00%
I don't care...I take the train anyways 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

06-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
mobile phones and traffic safety

should your state.....Ban motorist from using cell phones while driving and should be cited as traffic violation (unless is handsfree)

if your state already has this law...is it strictly inforced???

I can't stand people talking on their cells while driving...so I'm all for this law
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Ski
Hockey freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmer's

For, 100% times 10..most annoying thing going on the road and idiot drivers have no reason to add fuel to the fire not paying attention to what they are doing..I'm no saint either, but at least I have street smarts..

Edit: And yes it's a law in NY but hardly enforced..

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
rwwong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2008 Jeep Hemi

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Everytime someone does something stupid on the roads, I check to see if they are talking on the phone. 75% of them are chattin' away oblivious to what's happening around them.
      06-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

I used to talk on my cell phone a lot, but I stopped about a year ago. I made my wife stop as well, although I'm sure she sneaks a call in every now and then. What scares me the most is a young female driving about 5 feet behind me on the freeway, yacking away on her cell phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
rwwong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2008 Jeep Hemi

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
I used to talk on my cell phone a lot, but I stopped about a year ago. I made my wife stop as well, although I'm sure she sneaks a call in every now and then. What scares me the most is a young female driving about 5 feet behind me on the freeway, yacking away on her cell phone.
Yep!
      06-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I do agree that cell phones are a distraction- I also think talking in the car is also a distraction because your attention is divided between tasks.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

What about making it illegal to talk on cell phone regardless of hands free? Problem is that for many people much of the distraction is the act of conversing, not the act of holding a cell phone. I think that may be secondary. However, if that helps mitigate text messaging, then I'll change my tune. Text messaging, now that really scares me.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
I do agree that cell phones are a distraction- I also think talking in the car is also a distraction because your attention is divided between tasks.
Talking in the car is different. Watch, for example, when a conversation within the car pauses while going through an intersection or when some other traffic distraction occurs. The conversation will stop, then pick up as if it never paused. No one in the car even notices the process.

A cell phone conversation on the other hand occurs with no knowledge or concern about the traffic/driving situation.

I hate the things. The only proper place for a cell phone in a car is the trunk, hands free or not. The week before Christmas I had to dodge two cars while crossing the same intersection—I was a simple pedestrian, in the cross walk and both oblivious idiots where yakking away. And yes, I had the light.

Where is the "Mother's Against Driving Distractions Like Cell Phones"?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Not to be sexist(somehow, I haven't encountered a male driver driving like an idiot while talking on the phone yet, so please don't get me wrong. my comments are soley based on my experience), but I've seen a lot of female drivers driving like they are on crack because they are too busy talking on the phone while driving.

There are times I make important calls on the road, sometimes private so I do not use bluetooth(since everyone in the car can hear it if i do), ending up talking on the phone while driving. Sometimes I just talk on the phone when going away for a long highway drive to keep myself awake.

They shouldn't completely ban talking on the phone while driving, just allow headset/bluetooth use.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
MrFrizzle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Well, in principle, if a driver could operate their vehicle perfectly well while talking on their cell phone, they should have the freedom to do so.

BUT, there are many incompetant people who can't drive, let alone drive while talking and holding a phone. So this law cuts the rights of everyone in order to keep the stupid people from messing up. Again, in principle, I would be against this. But ultimately, its a practical, and GOOD law!

Buy your goddamn bluetooth people!
      06-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
What about making it illegal to talk on cell phone regardless of hands free?
I don't know about that. I don't want to be completely disconnected from everything around me just because im driving. Of course, few minutes of driving shouldn't matter, but what if you are driving from texas to washington? or even few hours of driving? a lot of things can happen. (i.e. your wife gets in an accident, or your friend needs emergency help, etc)

Why not ban navigation system? it talks, thats a distraction.
What about sound system? CD player? those can distract drivers in a serious way.

honestly, unless some sort of automatic driving machines come out(like the ones you see in I-robot movie), there is no real solution to this problem.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

I have encountered tons of male drives in huge jacked up pickup trucks that can't even come close to staying in their lane. Constant speed changes, failure to even notice when lights turn green - and the list goes on and on.

I now look for a phone in hand with the driver of any car I am in traffic with so I can be on the defense for their crappy driving.
      06-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
I don't know about that. I don't want to be completely disconnected from everything around me just because im driving. Of course, few minutes of driving shouldn't matter, but what if you are driving from texas to washington? or even few hours of driving? a lot of things can happen. (i.e. your wife gets in an accident, or your friend needs emergency help, etc)

Why not ban navigation system? it talks, thats a distraction.
What about sound system? CD player? those can distract drivers in a serious way.

honestly, unless some sort of automatic driving machines come out(like the ones you see in I-robot movie), there is no real solution to this problem.
I was being a tad facetious, and was only highlighting what I've heard -- that it is the conversation, more than the act of one hand off the steering wheel that is main culprit, which makes sense to me.

I agree that visual distractions are worse since your eyes are forced off the road (which is worse than your mind being distracted). There are probably as many drivers swerving when futzing with their bmw navi unit (much more so than after-market kinds).

BMW and the other companies should really focus on better voice recognition to mitigate this, rather than making lousy systems and putting a warning system when you turn it on.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

doesn't matter if it's hands free or not,

I have the factory bluetooth, and I'm on the phone constantly while driving due to the type of work I do, and I drive CRAPPY when I'm on the phone

it's vastly worse when I'm on the phone, even though I'm not holding the phone to my head.

everyone is like this, it's not just me

talking on the phone is like being at .08 BAC or worse
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #15
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Cell phones is just one thing. Commuting into Boston I have seen much worse. Writing checks, going through mail, triming nose hairs with very large scissors, flossing, typing on laptops, putting on mascara with the mirror, etc. There is so much more that would need to be done to accomplish this. People need to just drive. Period.

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

What about maps? I have seen so many SUV's wandering over 2-3 lanes, back and forth going 15 mph lower than the limit, trying to figure out where they are. Pull over, figure it out, and get safely back on the road..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #17
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
For. The amount of soccer moms in California on cell phones are ridiculous. All driving slow in the fast lane on the 405/5.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #18
fire-n-ice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

As much as I detest talking on the phone while driving, I am against a law of this type. Here's why: The government (speaking in reference to the USA), is alrealy meddleing too much in the lives of Americans (in my opinion, of course). Being basically a Libertarian, I feel I should have the right to decide how I invest my money for my own future, but highly support purchase taxations towards the furthering of our Military and protection of our borders.

Now, making a law against the use of cellular phones during the operation of a motor vehicle would render many of us helpless by ways of a living, emergencies, etc.

It's a difficult situation because like lux.sh said, I watch intently and specifically for WOMEN who are first off, driving; then if I see them putting on make-up, or talking on the phone, I'm kicking it in 4th gear and I'm outta there! Women and teenagers are HORRIBLE drivers - add in a distraction such as a phone... I know I may get for that by some of the ladies here. But sorry, unfortunatly, it's true. I only speak from experience, and I am perfectly aware there are very responsible women drivers. Unfortunatly, 70% of the MVA's I work are female related
Appreciate 0