BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #67
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Still on generator here, still no cable either. We have a pretty abysmal DSL line which is currently a godsend. I saw what I believe is the cause of the cable outage (see pic) and frankly I'm surprised we still have the POTS line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
You bring up an another interesting issue with power outages. What are you going to do when your primary car is an EV and your entire area is experiencing a power outage? So not only is the capacity of the power grid an important consideration with going all EV but also the resiliency of the power grid with natural disasters.
How about it. Maybe someday a president will actually be able to pass a meaningful infrastructure bill. In the meantime I may denude a piece of hillside behind us and install solar panels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
vreihen1614889.50
      08-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #68
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Still on generator here, still no cable either. We have a pretty abysmal DSL line which is currently a godsend. I saw what I believe is the cause of the cable outage (see pic) and frankly I'm surprised we still have the POTS line.

How about it. Maybe someday a president will actually be able to pass a meaningful infrastructure bill. In the meantime I may denude a piece of hillside behind us and install solar panels.
I'm not surprised POTS is still working. In my IT circles, POTS is considered ol' reliable. This is part of the reason why I still have POTS/land line service. Make fun of it all you want but it's shown to be very reliable. When I had my major outages, Comcast was dead yet my Verizon POTS service was still ticking.

It goes beyond the President in getting a proper electrical infrastructure in place in this country. It goes all the way down to the grass roots. There have been battles by neighbors/communities with the NIMBY attitude for various reasons.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
wdb4673.00
      08-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #69
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Every time there is a storm with power outage somewhere here in FL, there is public discussion / crying about burying power lines and improving power infrastructure. But no one wants to pay for it. Huge price tag. Likely will be the same everywhere else.
vreihen1614889.50
      08-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #70
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
You bring up an another interesting issue with power outages. What are you going to do when your primary car is an EV and your entire area is experiencing a power outage? So not only is the capacity of the power grid an important consideration with going all EV but also the resiliency of the power grid with natural disasters.
I live a tad too close to NYC to live without an evacuation vehicle for when Kim Jong Un launches his "urban renewal project" on Manhattan. The Mighty Dodge has made it from here to past Indianapolis on a tank of diesel fuel, with enough room for my DW and OCD psycho dog along with at least a thousand pounds of personal belongings.....
      08-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #71
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The cause of our power outage:

08-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #72
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
So we were without power from 9:30am yesterday to 7:30pm today. Fingers crossed it stays up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      08-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #73
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The cause of our power outage:

Probably not that bad to fix once they get to it. It’s the other 5,000 spots like it the crews need to fix that slow things down.
vreihen1614889.50
      08-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #74
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
I'm not surprised POTS is still working.
Well, that huge tree being suspended by my POTS line might have had something to do with it... By the way we are back on the grid. The crews did an excellent job around here.
Quote:
It goes beyond the President in getting a proper electrical infrastructure in place in this country.
Obama wanted a big infrastructure bill that heavily focused on electrical and data. It was a good bill. But he spent his political capital on health care. Trump talks about it but does nothing. The country still needs it.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      08-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #75
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Well, that huge tree being suspended by my POTS line might have had something to do with it... By the way we are back on the grid. The crews did an excellent job around here.
Obama wanted a big infrastructure bill that heavily focused on electrical and data. It was a good bill. But he spent his political capital on health care. Trump talks about it but does nothing. The country still needs it.
I got into a debate with a numb nuts on a FB group about the state of Internet in the US. I mentioned the only way to get out of the situation we're in is to have some government intervention. The idiot jumps in and says how dare I bring up having big brother mess with his Internet. Mind you this all started as a topic someone posted about what to do with his data capped Internet. There were a bunch of fools that jumped on and said there's no way your Internet service is capped. I jumped on and said yes there are people with capped Internet. I am one of them. Mentioned my Comcast service has capped Internet but Comcast has chosen not to enforce it on the Blast tier in my area; which means Comcast can change their mind at any time. I also have Mediacom at my vacation home. That service is definitely capped. I forget the allocation per month but it's temporarily suspended for the next couple weeks due to this whole COVID thing.

The point I made was ISPs pay for all the lines they drop and the equipment running the backbone circuits interconnecting the various ISPs. I mentioned that I feel the Feds should take over the backbone and then provide fair/equal pricing for each ISP to connect up to it. Then the ISPs would be responsible for the circuits to their customers. The idiot still rambled on about not messing with his Internet and if we didn't like our situation to just start our own ISP. I stopped engaging the fool as I knew it was the same as me trying to get rock to understand this topic. If you look at other countries with much better Internet/comms infrastructure, there has been government support. I laughed when the ISPs here were bragging about 1 Gig to the home when other countries have had it for years.
Appreciate 0