BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #23
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01 View Post
you really think it'll go lower then ipo price ? i really don't think so, but you never know
another of my gut feelings, lol

i don't have much interest in Visa, so if it doesn't go close to 40, then i just won't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #24
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Quote:
and in a year or so you'll be kicking yourself for selling it
Nah, I tend to not hold stocks for more than a few days each, but if it's good I buy it a few times a month using different accounts.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #25
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
you really think it'll go lower then ipo price ? i really don't think so, but you never know
Look @ BX.... they are down 50% since their IPO last year...and theirs was huge too!

i just bought a handfull @ $15 its gonna be tough for them tho =\

this is great! i diddnt know there were this many investors in here!

he need an "Official Stock Talk******" Thread!!!
      03-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #26
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
Look @ BX.... they are down 50% since their IPO last year...and theirs was huge too!

i just bought a handfull @ $15 its gonna be tough for them tho =\

this is great! i diddnt know there were this many investors in here!

he need an "Official Stock Talk******" Thread!!!
i agree, we need a new section
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 01:04 AM   #27
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
Nah, I tend to not hold stocks for more than a few days each, but if it's good I buy it a few times a month using different accounts.
Wow, a few days? May i ask why?

I hold mine for months
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #28
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
Wow, a few days? May i ask why?

I hold mine for months
Maximizing profits

It doesn't always work, but stocks tend to trade in between its Bollinger Bands, so I try to sell at the peaks and then pick them up at its troughs. You'd have to look into the charts and other indicators to determine if it's at a price you should sell or not.

Of course, some stocks buck the trends and follow the upper band to the point where you wouldn't know if it's going to go down or not, but that's not usually the case.

I actually decided to look into how to analyze charts after PMing a member on here, and it's definitely paid dividends. I've never been able to pinpoint the exact top and bottom, but if you're in the general vicinity, then you're good

Case in point, I bought BLK (BlackRock) at 177 two weeks ago, but it showed potential for upturn, so I held onto it for a while and now it's trading at 224. Probably going to sell if the market turns south tomorrow.

With IPOs such as Visa, there's definitely going to be profit takers no matter how you look at it. When it hit the mid 60s on Thursday, the price that it originally opened at, I knew people would want to take profits, so instead of sucking up the 7% loss, it would be better to sell it and buy it perhaps later this week or next week.

Edit: This is a long post haha, the biggest thing is to trade with discipline. With commissions so cheap nowadays (TradeKing at 4.95, ZeccoTrading at 4.50 plus 10 free trades a month), it makes sense to trade short term but perhaps not daytrade. Don't be too greedy, and it'll pay off.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #29
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Quote:
Maximizing profits

It doesn't always work, but stocks tend to trade in between its Bollinger Bands, so I try to sell at the peaks and then pick them up at its troughs. You'd have to look into the charts and other indicators to determine if it's at a price you should sell or not.

Of course, some stocks buck the trends and follow the upper band to the point where you wouldn't know if it's going to go down or not, but that's not usually the case.

I actually decided to look into how to analyze charts after PMing a member on here, and it's definitely paid dividends. I've never been able to pinpoint the exact top and bottom, but if you're in the general vicinity, then you're good

Case in point, I bought BLK (BlackRock) at 177 two weeks ago, but it showed potential for upturn, so I held onto it for a while and now it's trading at 224. Probably going to sell if the market turns south tomorrow.

With IPOs such as Visa, there's definitely going to be profit takers no matter how you look at it. When it hit the mid 60s on Thursday, the price that it originally opened at, I knew people would want to take profits, so instead of sucking up the 7% loss, it would be better to sell it and buy it perhaps later this week or next week.

Edit: This is a long post haha, the biggest thing is to trade with discipline. With commissions so cheap nowadays (TradeKing at 4.95, ZeccoTrading at 4.50 plus 10 free trades a month), it makes sense to trade short term but perhaps not daytrade. Don't be too greedy, and it'll pay off.
I see...

I'm not really good at analyzing charts. I tried to guess how the graph goes, but i'm always wrong on those.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #30
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
I see...

I'm not really good at analyzing charts. I tried to guess how the graph goes, but i'm always wrong on those.
wow are you seriously buying stocks based on your gut feelings?
i mean it's none of my business but that's darn risky.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #31
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

A little OT, but anyone trade options here?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #32
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
I dont do that in real life yet...
I do that in my fantasy stock portfolio..

last week bought calls on google @ $450!
and hit the jackpot....too bad it was a fantasy thing =(

i need more money!
      03-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #33
mrwma237
Polytech Trooper
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440i Gran Coupe

My Gut feeling is that I will choose the right lotto numbers....

So I will go buy a lotto ticket...

lol.
      03-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #34
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Maximizing profits

+1 on this advice. I played apple similarly and made money off it three times. The only stock I hold and keep is dia (diamond trust shares that track the dow). There are other market matching stocks that I might look into, since that area is expanding and is much less expensive than mutual funds. Now, I just need to suck it up and play apple with more than $5,000. Making 10% here and there is good, but is much better when you start with perhaps $25,000-50,000. I just haven't sucked up yet to do it. Also, i have a law practice during the day, and when not enjoying this site (ie, wasting time) I have to earn a living. Thus, watching the market daily some times is not possible.

I like someone's idea of a stock thread. Maybe this is that thread, eh?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #35
flush01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Maximizing profits

it's not so easy as you make it to be... there are alot of factors, you can also loose more $ doing that.. with stock like visa you shouldn't be taking chances to make quick 5% and buy it at lower price, because if it'll pick up to 70 you're out of the race for good unless you buy it at market price again... lets say you got 500 shares @ 57 ($28500), then you sell it @ 65 next day ($32500), so you made $4000 and you're hoping it'll go back to mid-high 50's.. BUT what if it doesn't, and goes to 70$ and stays there for a week and after that goes to 80 and stays there for a month? you can't hit sweet spots every time, if you do it's 80% luck
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #36
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
it's not so easy as you make it to be... there are alot of factors, you can also loose more $ doing that.. with stock like visa you shouldn't be taking chances to make quick 5% and buy it at lower price, because if it'll pick up to 70 you're out of the race for good unless you buy it at market price again... lets say you got 500 shares @ 57 ($28500), then you sell it @ 65 next day ($32500), so you made $4000 and you're hoping it'll go back to mid-high 50's.. BUT what if it doesn't, and goes to 70$ and stays there for a week and after that goes to 80 and stays there for a month? you can't hit sweet spots every time, if you do it's 80% luck
I don't hit sweetspots every time, but if I win 4 times out of 5 and I lose once, I still make money, and that's the whole point. I never hoped it would go back to mid-high 50s, I'm just quicker to take profits, especially given the volatile market in recent months. In February and March I've managed to get about 15% returns each month, which isn't bad at all I'd say, and I've employed the strategy I mentioned, although there's more to it than I've said.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #37
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
wow are you seriously buying stocks based on your gut feelings?
i mean it's none of my business but that's darn risky.
Gut feelings are for my "fantasy portfolio", i never said i bought stock from my gut feelings. When I said I'll get VISA at 40 bucks wasn't based on gut, if it really goes to 40, i strongly believe it will go back up there.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #38
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
buy put options.
      03-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #39
chitown3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

I don't own Visa stock, but I'm glad that V hasn't brought down Mastercard like many experts said might happen.
(Caused by the perils of watching CNBC way too much daily)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #40
flush01
Major
Rep

Second Quarter 2008 Financial Results on April 28, 2008
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080408/nytu094.html?.v=101

hopefully on 28th they'll have some good news, if they do it'll go 10$ more easy
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #41
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
^^ dammit i'm waiting on that too....debating wether to buy more or not
      04-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #42
flush01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
^^ dammit i'm waiting on that too....debating wether to buy more or not
lol same here... but im thinking to wait one month from the ipo release ... reason is that companies are not allowed to sell ipo shares for 30 days, so after 30 days some may short it and it might drive stock price down ...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #43
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
Only on earnings.. They are a bit tedious to keep up with otherwise, and it doesn't seem like they rise as much to me..

Quote:
That's why there are tons of other stocks to choose from..
Who says that you have to trade a single stock for the rest of your life?? If one isn't working for you one day, trade another that day.

It's actually really easy to read charts, and anyone experienced could probably teach a 10 year old how to make money for the rest of his life in a few days. Trading stocks isn't about luck, and has almost nothing to do with luck unless you are mindlessly buying. It's more technical than you think.

V is also one of the few stocks I have seen that follows chart patterns almost flawlessly. There doesn't seem to be any 'lag' like most stocks have. You're right that there are a lot of factors, but the main three are Economic news, earnings, and charts.. All of which are easily accessible. Also remember to try not to trade against the giants, QQQQ, DIA, SPY.

Jealous of a lot of you.. -___-
Haven't traded in a few months probably, and not feeling the urge to trade at all..
School and hanging out with friends seems to be all that matters at the moment.

-Nathan
      04-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #44
flush01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
Only on earnings.. They are a bit tedious to keep up with otherwise, and it doesn't seem like they rise as much to me..

That's why there are tons of other stocks to choose from..
Who says that you have to trade a single stock for the rest of your life?? If one isn't working for you one day, trade another that day.

It's actually really easy to read charts, and anyone experienced could probably teach a 10 year old how to make money for the rest of his life in a few days. Trading stocks isn't about luck, and has almost nothing to do with luck unless you are mindlessly buying. It's more technical than you think.

V is also one of the few stocks I have seen that follows chart patterns almost flawlessly. There doesn't seem to be any 'lag' like most stocks have. You're right that there are a lot of factors, but the main three are Economic news, earnings, and charts.. All of which are easily accessible. Also remember to try not to trade against the giants, QQQQ, DIA, SPY.

Jealous of a lot of you.. -___-
Haven't traded in a few months probably, and not feeling the urge to trade at all..
School and hanging out with friends seems to be all that matters at the moment.

-Nathan
lol ya it's SOOO EASY... i'm sorry but you don't know what you talking about...

ANYWAYS, it's at 75.5 in after hours right now... will be interesting on Monday
Appreciate 0