BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #45
Lady Jane
Squidgirl in remission.
Lady Jane's Avatar
Canada
13599
Rep
472
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 and R1200RT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Atlantic Canada.

iTrader: (0)

Best pizzas have seen are made by members on the Lunch or Dinner thread.
__________________
Appreciate 3
wtwo33659.00
chassis1837.00
stein_325i16432.50
      08-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #46
wtwo3
Lieutenant Colonel
wtwo3's Avatar
3659
Rep
1,925
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Usually posts are worthless without photos, but in this case we will give you a pass.
I'll save it for the dating thread
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 1
sygazelle3601.50
      08-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #47
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
953
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Same. Im not milling my own flour though, I have easy access to imported 00 using the softer wheat so I just stick with that.

I WAS making my own cheese too but even that, I honestly found some good quality stuff locally so I just buy. But honestly the dough and sauces are stupid easy to make the night before and do a slow-rise. Get your own tomato and herb garden, etc. Then doing it on wood or coal and you get that nice little smoky funk in the char.

I really pushed myself to make one every week until I got it down, then it was all about pizza parties pre-covid. Im about to have neighbors over tomorrow for a mini party mainly to show my neighbor this callabrian chili sausage for it. There is a funny backstory where he accidentally made a pizza with thai chilis so I figured Id show him what a good spicy pizza was supposed to be.

I have not made fresh mozzarella yet, but I’ll be playing with that soon.

I have 3 or 4 flours and recipes that are my ‘go tos’ and I usually make my proven dough and one that’s a little experimental. I like 00, and I blend it with about 20% fresh milled.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #48
wtwo3
Lieutenant Colonel
wtwo3's Avatar
3659
Rep
1,925
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Pizza is my jam! I love it probably more than any other food. When we went to Chicago we tried deep dish and meh wasn't for me. I'm more of a thin crust kinda girl.

Those are some sweet looking pics in this thread and have me craving pizza now.
Which deep dish did you try?
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #49
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
953
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Ryan and KenB925 would either of you be willing to share your dough recipes? I’ve made my own for years and my family gives high remarks, but, I’m never satisfied. Would love your recipes and tips if you’re willing to give them!
Sure, I’ve been contemplating making a couple of youtube videos.

I’ll write up something when i get a chance
Appreciate 3
wtwo33659.00
Joekerr7820.00
      08-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #50
fiveohwblow
Major
fiveohwblow's Avatar
United_States
3049
Rep
1,235
Posts

Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Desert SW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Ryan and KenB925 would either of you be willing to share your dough recipes? I’ve made my own for years and my family gives high remarks, but, I’m never satisfied. Would love your recipes and tips if you’re willing to give them!
Sure, I’ve been contemplating making a couple of youtube videos.

I’ll write up something when i get a chance
Great! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:27 PM   #51
P1
Major General
P1's Avatar
United_States
8193
Rep
9,837
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

I'm with KenB925. Best pizza is homemade!



Appreciate 3
wtwo33659.00
hubbahubba3580.50
      08-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #52
shoei
Colonel
shoei's Avatar
5741
Rep
2,394
Posts

Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Peeing in your garden

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I love pizza. And this forum seemed suspiciously devoid of pizza talk.

Since getting married 8 years ago, my wife has limited my intake of pizza.... some nonsense about how it might make me fat (she doesn't believe in the dad bod)... so I turn to this forum to express my true feelings and desires.

So here is my list of my personal favorite pizza spots in the US:

[SIZE="5"]#1) Pequod's Pizza - Chicago, IL[/SIZE]

Attachment 2674312

[SIZE="5"]#2) Serious Pie - Seattle, WA[/SIZE]

Attachment 2674313

[SIZE="5"]#3) Tony's Pizza Napoletana - San Francisco, CA[/SIZE]

Attachment 2674314

[SIZE="5"]Honorable mention:[/SIZE]

Attachment 2674334
Tony's is the best pizza I've had outside NYC. Their meatballs are amazing as well.

I'm blocking you over the travesty of the first place. No. Just no.
Appreciate 2
wtwo33659.00
Germanauto6976.00
      08-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #53
wtwo3
Lieutenant Colonel
wtwo3's Avatar
3659
Rep
1,925
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Tony's is the best pizza I've had outside NYC. Their meatballs are amazing as well.

I'm blocking you over the travesty of the first place. No. Just no.
Gotta show love to my home city!
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:44 PM   #54
nicked8
Private First Class
United_States
88
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 335i M-Sport xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: CT/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgood4u View Post
My grandparents came to New Haven in the late 1800's and settled in Wooster Square (Italian neighborhood). I've grown up with this apizza and my dad went to school with Sal Consiglio (Sally's) it really is the best in the country. Used to eat at these joints about 3-4 times a week.
That's awesome. Wooster Square is such a great spot. All the pizza places there have such great history.

My girlfriend used to live in New Haven. We ate Sally's damn near every weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #55
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
9989
Rep
16,462
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I've lived less than five-miles from this place for over 40-years and have eaten there a couple of times decades ago. Beyond the hype there was always the rude management and—truth be told—I always thought the pizza was good but just so-so:

I've eaten at Crozet Pizza a few times. It's like Wall Drug. There are plenty of places near C-ville with better pizza. Any joint in Manhattan has far better pie than Crozet. Lol.

I think Julia Roberts was a waitress there before she became famous...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #56
TiMSport
Colonel
TiMSport's Avatar
United_States
8840
Rep
2,059
Posts

Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I thought we could express our feelings!
Yeah but I didn't want to envision your Béchamel sauce for the pizza! Lol.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" The key to confidence and success in life is to simply not give a f*** ".
Appreciate 1
wtwo33659.00
      08-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #57
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
7820
Rep
1,893
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Yeah but I didn't want to envision your Béchamel sauce for the pizza! Lol.
.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Joe's mind and vocabulary are much like being served something that you don't want to swallow on a 24k gold platter.....with 5 star service.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport8839.50
      08-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #58
hubbahubba
Captain
United_States
3581
Rep
660
Posts

Drives: M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I'm with KenB925. Best pizza is homemade!



I just finished dinner, but I could eat that right now. Damn!
Appreciate 1
P18193.00
      08-17-2021, 11:30 PM   #59
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
953
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I'm with KenB925. Best pizza is homemade!



Looks Great!
Appreciate 1
P18193.00
      08-18-2021, 04:01 AM   #60
JJ 911SC
Retired Navy Chief
JJ 911SC's Avatar
Canada
3354
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, 911SC
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Every Friday on the “What’s for dinner?” thread there are multiple pizza posts. Not at all devoid of pizza aficionados on this site.
Home Made is the best...

Step by Step of my best one: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...postcount=2611
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 5
wtwo33659.00
P18193.00
Tommy-G1612.50
      08-18-2021, 04:06 AM   #61
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
MsGoGoMoto's Avatar
United_States
984
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I love pizza, and the best pizza comes from the backyard!
And now I know what my next home project will be!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 05:17 AM   #62
Daftasabrush
Fool
Daftasabrush's Avatar
England
1785
Rep
3,508
Posts

Drives: F31 340i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Absolutely love pizza, got Neopolitan down pretty well using a mix of Italian 00 flour and extra strong bread flour. Those who make pizza, I can highly recommend the PizzApp app for phones. You put in how many balls of what weight you want to make and how long you want to prove it for and it works it all out for you. Makes great garlic bread too.
Attached Images
      
__________________
Appreciate 3
wtwo33659.00
P18193.00
Tommy-G1612.50
      08-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #63
ryan stewart
Captain
953
Rep
991
Posts

Drives: 2008 328it
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Ryan and KenB925 would either of you be willing to share your dough recipes? I’ve made my own for years and my family gives high remarks, but, I’m never satisfied. Would love your recipes and tips if you’re willing to give them!
460g 00 (caputo) flour
300g of water at 100 degrees
1.5 teaspoon of salt
1.5 teaspoon of EVOO
just a little over a teaspoon of active dry yeast

Put the water in a 2 cup measuring cup to microwave to 100-110 (dont let it get over 114), mix in the yeast thoroughly, mix in the olive oil. Then let sit for about 10 minutes for the yeast to start doing their thing.

While the yeast is waking up mix the flour and salt in a big metal bowl.

Once the yeast is starting to make bubbles (honestly not really even blooming, just waking up and making sure they are alive) you can pour it into the flour mixture. Work that inside the bowl until it becomes a loose dough. Feel free to keep adding flour to the bowl if its sticking, the water will only take up as much flour as it can. Once its a loose ball of dough (aka one cohesive piece but can look ugly) let rest for another 10-15 minutes to hydrate.

Turn out on a heavily floured board and work that shit HARD. Like 6 minutes of real work, until the dough is as smooth as a babies butt and physically hard to work. Now is the time to make gluten, so do work, this is the critical stage IMHO.

Cut and shape into two smooth balls.

Now you can diverge, if its a quick dough get a towel damp with the hot water and drape it over the dough balls to keep them from drying out. Youll get decent rise in 4 hours but 6 would be better.

Or even better yet, throw a thin coat of oil on the bad boys, throw them in giant plastic bags or a covered pan, and throw in the fridge overnight to 3 days. The longer you get a more crispy texture and the yeast make a lot more flavor, think like that beery funk. If you do this just give dough an hour at room temp before you work it again.

Once youre ready knead it one last time but really JUST enough to distribute the bubbles based on your liking. Like giant bubbles in it like french bread (which you should) just barely work it a minute or so. If you like even bubbles like sliced bread do it like 3 minutes.

Roll, toss, top and throw on a 550-600 degree stone in a 900+ grill/oven for 2-4 minutes depending on how long it takes to cook the toppings and get a nice spotty char on the bottom and edges. Just give it a couple of minutes to set up before cutting.

Edit: Forgot to add, depending on your humidity you might have to keep adding flour to the board as you work it to keep the dough from sticking. As long as you give it a few minutes after adding flour the dough will soak it up and not be dry.
Appreciate 2
wtwo33659.00
      08-18-2021, 06:43 AM   #64
ryan stewart
Captain
953
Rep
991
Posts

Drives: 2008 328it
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I have not made fresh mozzarella yet, but I’ll be playing with that soon.

I have 3 or 4 flours and recipes that are my ‘go tos’ and I usually make my proven dough and one that’s a little experimental. I like 00, and I blend it with about 20% fresh milled.
It was fun but made a mess of big dishes and ended up probably being the hardest work of all of the things in making pizza (as you know the sauce and dough are stupid easy once you get them down).

And we have a dairy down here that cranks out some good fresh stuff I can get at the market and they are more consistent than I was ever going to be.

I still have my kit because its fun to make burrata for snacking.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #65
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
731
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've eaten at Crozet Pizza a few times. It's like Wall Drug. There are plenty of places near C-ville with better pizza. Any joint in Manhattan has far better pie than Crozet. Lol.

I think Julia Roberts was a waitress there before she became famous...
I've seen nothing to suggest that Julia Roberts ever lived anywhere near Crozet, VA, much less worked at that pizza restaurant. We do claim Dave Mathews bartending at Miller's in downtown Charlottesville prior to his current fame.

Within a one-minute walk from Crozet Pizza is Sal's where Jerry Finazzo's daughter still carries on his tradition with their Cave Man all-meat Sicilian pie, big enough to serve six-people!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #66
fiveohwblow
Major
fiveohwblow's Avatar
United_States
3049
Rep
1,235
Posts

Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Desert SW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
460g 00 (caputo) flour
300g of water at 100 degrees
1.5 teaspoon of salt
1.5 teaspoon of EVOO
just a little over a teaspoon of active dry yeast

Put the water in a 2 cup measuring cup to microwave to 100-110 (dont let it get over 114), mix in the yeast thoroughly, mix in the olive oil. Then let sit for about 10 minutes for the yeast to start doing their thing.

While the yeast is waking up mix the flour and salt in a big metal bowl.

Once the yeast is starting to make bubbles (honestly not really even blooming, just waking up and making sure they are alive) you can pour it into the flour mixture. Work that inside the bowl until it becomes a loose dough. Feel free to keep adding flour to the bowl if its sticking, the water will only take up as much flour as it can. Once its a loose ball of dough (aka one cohesive piece but can look ugly) let rest for another 10-15 minutes to hydrate.

Turn out on a heavily floured board and work that shit HARD. Like 6 minutes of real work, until the dough is as smooth as a babies butt and physically hard to work. Now is the time to make gluten, so do work, this is the critical stage IMHO.

Cut and shape into two smooth balls.

Now you can diverge, if its a quick dough get a towel damp with the hot water and drape it over the dough balls to keep them from drying out. Youll get decent rise in 4 hours but 6 would be better.

Or even better yet, throw a thin coat of oil on the bad boys, throw them in giant plastic bags or a covered pan, and throw in the fridge overnight to 3 days. The longer you get a more crispy texture and the yeast make a lot more flavor, think like that beery funk. If you do this just give dough an hour at room temp before you work it again.

Once youre ready knead it one last time but really JUST enough to distribute the bubbles based on your liking. Like giant bubbles in it like french bread (which you should) just barely work it a minute or so. If you like even bubbles like sliced bread do it like 3 minutes.

Roll, toss, top and throw on a 550-600 degree stone in a 900+ grill/oven for 2-4 minutes depending on how long it takes to cook the toppings and get a nice spotty char on the bottom and edges. Just give it a couple of minutes to set up before cutting.

Edit: Forgot to add, depending on your humidity you might have to keep adding flour to the board as you work it to keep the dough from sticking. As long as you give it a few minutes after adding flour the dough will soak it up and not be dry.
Thanks Ryan!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST