BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #23
essejM3
New Member
43
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: York, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicked8 View Post
If we're going to start the New Haven talk... Sally's is 100% the best of the bunch. Followed by Modern with Pepe's coming in third.

Pepe's has great pizza, but Sally's is near untouchable.
Will have to try Sally's next time I am in town.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #24
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
7820
Rep
1,893
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I've gone pretty deep. Milling flour and such.

I think the most pizzas I ever made for a neighborhood party was 18 - 20. Each batch of dough is good for 6 pizzas, and I usually have to make 1 or 2 that are eight gluten free or cauliflower crusts, I have also made Einkorn (supposed to be more digestible for those with wheat issues).

Anyway, good times, but Covid has definitely slowed my pizza parties.
As a newb who one day (maybe when I'm retired at this point) is interested in building a pizza oven (or in some manner acquiring one) - I always had it in my head that the wood would be below a layer of stone heating it up and the pizza would go on this stone.

I see this is not the case from your pictures - interesting. So the fire is tucked away in the corner then, and it creates enough heat to get the stones hot enough to cook the dough then?

Do you put the dough right on the stones (looks like it) or use a pan? I would have wondered about the sanitary aspects of cooking right on the stone, even though I suppose it would be hot? So many things I'm learning from these pictures.

Mostly how much I love pizza though.

Place by me uses three day cold risen dough and it is far and away a better dough than any of the other chains.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Joe's mind and vocabulary are much like being served something that you don't want to swallow on a 24k gold platter.....with 5 star service.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #25
Gregrobin
Lieutenant
United_States
476
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: 2008 E93 335i
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Vir ginny ya

iTrader: (0)

A wife that limits the pizza intake? I dunno man, you might need a new wife :-)
__________________
VRSF Performance Intake Kit / XS Power Charge Pipe V2 / ARM 5" Intercooler FMIC / MHD 7.1 Stage 2+ / FTP N54 PCV Valve / VRSF 3" Catless Downpipes / xHP Stage 2
Appreciate 1
wtwo33659.00
      08-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #26
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
234
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta,GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicked8 View Post
If we're going to start the New Haven talk... Sally's is 100% the best of the bunch. Followed by Modern with Pepe's coming in third.

Pepe's has great pizza, but Sally's is near untouchable.
My grandparents came to New Haven in the late 1800's and settled in Wooster Square (Italian neighborhood). I've grown up with this apizza and my dad went to school with Sal Consiglio (Sally's) it really is the best in the country. Used to eat at these joints about 3-4 times a week.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #27
wtwo3
Lieutenant Colonel
wtwo3's Avatar
3659
Rep
1,925
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrobin View Post
A wife that limits the pizza intake? I dunno man, you might need a new wife :-)
Marriage can be a struggle....

Infidelity? Nahhh
Money problems? Nope
Insufferable in-laws? They're cool
Sneaking in a slice of pizza behind her back? Yeeeeahhh
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #28
wtwo3
Lieutenant Colonel
wtwo3's Avatar
3659
Rep
1,925
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
TMI! Lol.
I thought we could express our feelings!
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #29
Morgen Black
Private First Class
United_States
189
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: '18 AW BMW M3
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

One of the best pizza joints here in Chula Vista, CA is a little known place called Joe and Ernie's Pizzeria. They use crushed red pepper flakes in their red sauce and it is amazing. The staff is always great and the lunch slices are always different and unique!

MB
Appreciate 1
wtwo33659.00
      08-17-2021, 12:56 PM   #30
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
952
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
As a newb who one day (maybe when I'm retired at this point) is interested in building a pizza oven (or in some manner acquiring one) - I always had it in my head that the wood would be below a layer of stone heating it up and the pizza would go on this stone.

I see this is not the case from your pictures - interesting. So the fire is tucked away in the corner then, and it creates enough heat to get the stones hot enough to cook the dough then?

Do you put the dough right on the stones (looks like it) or use a pan? I would have wondered about the sanitary aspects of cooking right on the stone, even though I suppose it would be hot? So many things I'm learning from these pictures.

Mostly how much I love pizza though.

Place by me uses three day cold risen dough and it is far and away a better dough than any of the other chains.
Yes, the fire is on the deck, generally you build the fire in the middle and then push it back or to the side (depending on what you are doing). I usually budget about 1:45 to get the oven up to temp, I like the deck to be between close to 600 degrees (or more), the dome will be around 1000, for a long cook/party you may need to add a small log, but it stays plenty hot in there, if it doesnít you can rake the fire back to the middle to heat it up again.

I also do a 3 day cold bulk ferment, unless Iím making sourdough crust.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7820.00
      08-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #31
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
7820
Rep
1,893
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Yes, the fire is on the deck, generally you build the fire in the middle and then push it back or to the side (depending on what you are doing). I usually budget about 1:45 to get the oven up to temp, I like the deck to be between close to 600 degrees (or more), the dome will be around 1000, for a long cook/party you may need to add a small log, but it stays plenty hot in there, if it doesnít you can rake the fire back to the middle to heat it up again.

I also do a 3 day cold bulk ferment, unless Iím making sourdough crust.
That's a labour of love then - almost 2hrs to get up to temp...hmmm. I bet it cooks very quickly of course once it goes in, but still, did not appreciate how long it might take to get up to the desired temps.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Joe's mind and vocabulary are much like being served something that you don't want to swallow on a 24k gold platter.....with 5 star service.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #32
ryan stewart
Captain
953
Rep
991
Posts

Drives: 2008 328it
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I've gone pretty deep. Milling flour and such.

I think the most pizzas I ever made for a neighborhood party was 18 - 20. Each batch of dough is good for 6 pizzas, and I usually have to make 1 or 2 that are eight gluten free or cauliflower crusts, I have also made Einkorn (supposed to be more digestible for those with wheat issues).

Anyway, good times, but Covid has definitely slowed my pizza parties.
Same. Im not milling my own flour though, I have easy access to imported 00 using the softer wheat so I just stick with that.

I WAS making my own cheese too but even that, I honestly found some good quality stuff locally so I just buy. But honestly the dough and sauces are stupid easy to make the night before and do a slow-rise. Get your own tomato and herb garden, etc. Then doing it on wood or coal and you get that nice little smoky funk in the char.

I really pushed myself to make one every week until I got it down, then it was all about pizza parties pre-covid. Im about to have neighbors over tomorrow for a mini party mainly to show my neighbor this callabrian chili sausage for it. There is a funny backstory where he accidentally made a pizza with thai chilis so I figured Id show him what a good spicy pizza was supposed to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #33
ryan stewart
Captain
953
Rep
991
Posts

Drives: 2008 328it
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
That's a labour of love then - almost 2hrs to get up to temp...hmmm. I bet it cooks very quickly of course once it goes in, but still, did not appreciate how long it might take to get up to the desired temps.
Yeah, youre looking like 2-4 minutes once its going, youre talking 900+ so its a flash. But when you get it right it all hits at the same time. The meats fry on the pizza, the cheese browns, and you get spots of char on the crust.

Then the real challenge is waiting a few minutes for the cheese to set to cut and a couple minutes more as to not melt your mouth like the bad guy at the end of Robocop.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #34
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
952
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
That's a labour of love then - almost 2hrs to get up to temp...hmmm. I bet it cooks very quickly of course once it goes in, but still, did not appreciate how long it might take to get up to the desired temps.
Yeah, you are heating up a couple thousand pounds of stone and really cooking with the stored heat.

Pizzas are done in 90 seconds to 2 minutes or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #35
essejM3
New Member
43
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: York, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Yeah, you are heating up a couple thousand pounds of stone and really cooking with the stored heat.

Pizzas are done in 90 seconds to 2 minutes or so.
We do ours on a stone on my kamado. Wife has been asking me to build a standalone, any pics of yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #36
ryan stewart
Captain
953
Rep
991
Posts

Drives: 2008 328it
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by essejM3 View Post
We do ours on a stone on my kamado. Wife has been asking me to build a standalone, any pics of yours?
For those wanting to dip their toes this is a great way. You can even go as far as getting the kamado joe pizza attachment or the pizza porta, which helps hold the heat in better than opening it to launch/turn/pull.

Honestly you can get the same results and product out a few times in a run, the big thing about the big oven like he has is the ability to just crank them out all day.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #37
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
952
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: ZL1, Raptor
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by essejM3 View Post
We do ours on a stone on my kamado. Wife has been asking me to build a standalone, any pics of yours?
here is a link https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494062

donít want to hijack
Appreciate 1
essejM342.50
      08-17-2021, 02:24 PM   #38
dscabra
Private First Class
dscabra's Avatar
1137
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: BMW M550i (G30)
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The little town I grew up in had a Mom & Pop pizza place that made a Canadian bacon and tomato pizza that I've never found anywhere else. All their crusts were made from scratch and hand tossed. The bacon wasn't what you typically see used (round tube in a casing), but rather real slices (filets) of 1/8" thick Canadian (pork loin) bacon cut along the length of the loin, not across the grain. The cheese was all natural mozzarella and the fresh ripe tomato was laid on in slices just after the pizza was removed from the oven. I'm doing the Homer Simson drool thing right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #39
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
731
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I've lived less than five-miles from this place for over 40-years and have eaten there a couple of times decades ago. Beyond the hype there was always the rude management andótruth be toldóI always thought the pizza was good but just so-so:
Quote:
Crozet Pizza in Crozet, VA. The Food Network called their pizza the best in VIrginia. Fodor's said it was the best in the USA and National Geographic said it was the best in the world!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #40
rebekahb
Second Lieutenant
1768
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Pizza is my jam! I love it probably more than any other food. When we went to Chicago we tried deep dish and meh wasn't for me. I'm more of a thin crust kinda girl.

Those are some sweet looking pics in this thread and have me craving pizza now.
Appreciate 1
wtwo33659.00
      08-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #41
sygazelle
Brigadier General
3601
Rep
3,027
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I think I just creamed my pants
Usually posts are worthless without photos, but in this case we will give you a pass.
Appreciate 2
wtwo33659.00
      08-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #42
fiveohwblow
Major
fiveohwblow's Avatar
United_States
3048
Rep
1,235
Posts

Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Desert SW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Same. Im not milling my own flour though, I have easy access to imported 00 using the softer wheat so I just stick with that.

I WAS making my own cheese too but even that, I honestly found some good quality stuff locally so I just buy. But honestly the dough and sauces are stupid easy to make the night before and do a slow-rise. Get your own tomato and herb garden, etc. Then doing it on wood or coal and you get that nice little smoky funk in the char.

I really pushed myself to make one every week until I got it down, then it was all about pizza parties pre-covid. Im about to have neighbors over tomorrow for a mini party mainly to show my neighbor this callabrian chili sausage for it. There is a funny backstory where he accidentally made a pizza with thai chilis so I figured Id show him what a good spicy pizza was supposed to be.
Ryan and KenB925 would either of you be willing to share your dough recipes? Iíve made my own for years and my family gives high remarks, but, Iím never satisfied. Would love your recipes and tips if youíre willing to give them!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #43
fiveohwblow
Major
fiveohwblow's Avatar
United_States
3048
Rep
1,235
Posts

Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Desert SW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Pizza is my jam! I love it probably more than any other food. When we went to Chicago we tried deep dish and meh wasn't for me. I'm more of a thin crust kinda girl.

Those are some sweet looking pics in this thread and have me craving pizza now.
You mean low carb
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #44
2000cs
Captain
2088
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: Potato
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

We don’t have outstanding pizza places nearby here (Our Tony’s is so-so). I’ve tried many of the Chicago and NYC places mentioned above during trips to each city, and of course had pizza many other places. I’ve found a wide variety of pizzas that I like.
Appreciate 1
wtwo33659.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST