BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

02-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
PittGuy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 528i xDrive

2010 528i Climate Control

Hey guys,

I am a new member in here. It seems like a great resourceful community for our cars! I am hoping I can get some questions answered as I've spent a lot of time searching to no available.

As the title states, I have a 2010 528i that I've owned for a year, but have never driven it in the winter. I have started this year, and am stumped on a few aspects in the automatic climate control. I am in the Pittsburgh area, to give you an idea of my weather conditions.

I try to use it set at 70, medium intensity, snowflake lit, auto air recirculation, and the main auto button illuminated. In addition, I keep the stratification level in idrive on two blue bars. The cabin always heats up quickly and I don't have any issues there.

My questions are as follows:

The system allows for a small amount of air to reach the windscreen in auto. This is understandable to prevent fogging, but as the cabin heats up, this air temperature doesn't seem to reduce. Therefore, snow/icy dew seems to always melt around this area of the windshield, but freeze around it. I end up having to use a ton of windshield washer fluid during my 170 mile daily commute to and from school. It seems to me that this air should not be that high of a temperature, unless of course the actual defrost button is used.

Second, even with the system on full auto, with the snowflake on, and the recirc on auto (or even completely off as I've tried), I always get condensation on the drivers window toward the bottom. I don't understand how this is happening as the air is behind dehumidifies by the system. It's not like I am sweaty from working out either.

Last and third, how much should the stratification adjustment influence the temperature from the dash level vents as compared to the footwell vents? From what I've read on forums, it should have a drastic effect meaning that much cooler air should come out of these vents than what I'm experiencing. Even at the maximum cold setting (four blue bars) the air is only slightly colder.

Sorry for the long drawn out questions. I just am trying to be as clear as possible. I've read the manual as well, and there are no answers to my questions. Coming from Volvo and Mercedes, I just have to learn this system.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
Appreciate 0