BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-20-2022, 11:12 PM   #111
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Hey, I've got a sweet used car to sell you. I'm asking 50x what it's listed for on KBB, but trust me, it's a classic and you'll make a return on your investment some day.
I take it you don’t own Tesla stock…
(Neither do I, but I know that company’s valuation, look that up)

As the joke about the car, if it’s the ONLY car that exists, perhaps there’s potential, since the asking price now could be the same asking price in the future, or higher… if I’m willing to pay the current value, someone else might too, and there’s a reason it’s valued at that. Silly comparison with KBB, as he paid exactly KBB for Twitter, and even negotiated it to a lower price later…
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 11:16 PM   #112
________
________
Rep

By the way, not trying to be argumentative in the least, I respect you a great deal DETRoadater. Just chatting here. The above might come off wrong because it’s text. Take it as lightly as I’ve written it please! Have a great night all!
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25204.00
DETRoadster11469.50
Dino GT35134.50
minn1914070.50
      11-21-2022, 06:53 AM   #113
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Based on your comments, I think you are letting your own political views influence what you think you observe.
How so

If you believe my observation is off base then that is your prerogative. But if you havent noticed the positive way that conservatives view Elon vs the negative way that liiberals view him then I suggest perusing the usual political sites like Fox News, Cnn, etc to get a taste. Heck, even in this thread the people who make their politics known on the board are responding in-line to my observation
Appreciate 2
minn1914070.50
Reborn_298.00
      11-21-2022, 07:02 AM   #114
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
He may well have some grand plan to monetize the shit out of Twitter and I'm eager as anyone to see what it is.
One of his first actions was to implement a $7.99/month charge for new verified user accounts, that I'll bet will be applied to existing verified user accounts before long.....
      11-21-2022, 07:20 AM   #115
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
I don't tweet and don't follow the tech industry, but it seems to me that Elon Musk is very well-deserving of whatever disaster is brewing on his purchase of Twitter.
      11-21-2022, 08:05 AM   #116
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
How so

If you believe my observation is off base then that is your prerogative. But if you havent noticed the positive way that conservatives view Elon vs the negative way that liiberals view him then I suggest perusing the usual political sites like Fox News, Cnn, etc to get a taste. Heck, even in this thread the people who make their politics known on the board are responding in-line to my observation
“defending conservative misinformation spreaders like Trump, and even promoting misinformation himself with his recent Pelosi tweet”
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410997.00
      11-21-2022, 08:20 AM   #117
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:
How so

[COLOR="Red"] "defending conservative misinformation spreaders like Trump, and even promoting misinformation himself with his recent Pelosi tweet" [/COLOR]
What is inaccurate about that?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 08:23 AM   #118
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Like we all agreed, we should leave politics out of the conversation. You shouldn’t have brought your political views to the conversation as they’re not important to the discussion at hand. But as noted, at least we all know what your views are, and how they shape your opinions on other things.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615487.00
RickFLM410997.00
      11-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #119
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Like we all agreed, we should leave politics out of the conversation. You shouldn’t have brought your political views to the conversation as they’re not important to the discussion at hand. But as noted, at least we all know what your views are, and how they shape your opinions on other things.
Those aren't my political views, those are events which happened and reinforce my original premise.

But agree, let's move on from politics. Sorry to distract!
Appreciate 2
chris7197365.00
minn1914070.50
      11-21-2022, 08:31 AM   #120
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
By the way, not trying to be argumentative in the least, I respect you a great deal DETRoadater. Just chatting here. The above might come off wrong because it’s text. Take it as lightly as I’ve written it please! Have a great night all!
No worries at all, man. Like you said, we are all just chatting here. We dont all have to agree with one another. How boring would that be if we did?!
Appreciate 5
Dino GT35134.50
________4160.00
minn1914070.50
Reborn_298.00
      11-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #121
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Anyone else fascinated by this future management book chapter in how not to run a company?

- Buy an ad revenue dependent company for more than its worth
- Piss off / freak out all your advertisers
- Fire 1/2 your workers
- Think you have leverage to threaten the remaining ones and lose even more

Best guess is that twitter has fewer than 2k employees left, down from over 7k.

Entire departments are gone. Payroll, communications, etc. Some of those functions like finance and payroll are pretty easy to outsource but still the business disruption has got to be painful.

Musk told everyone that he only wanted "hardcore" workers who were ready to work crazy hours, now with no work from home ability. When you really put the screws to people, the best and brightest are the ones who will jump ship because they can. What you are left with are the mediocre hang-ons who arent marketable and cant easily find a better place to work.

I think this whole thing is a massive miscalculation by Musk. He's proven time and again that he can build successful businesses where people are dedicated to him almost like a cult. But taking over an existing business with an existing culture and trying to bash people into your cult following, no, you cant do that. Cults are carefully grown and cultivated from the ground up, they cant overtake and succeed.

So, anyone else finding this train wreck highly interesting?
Besides getting rid of the bots, and attempting restoration of free speech to the heavily censored platform, I wonder what else Elon is trying to achieve? I'll just leave this here. Takes only a few minutes to watch.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint

Last edited by DrFerry; 11-21-2022 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 4
DETRoadster11469.50
vreihen1615487.00
NYG10870.00
M5Rick61206.00
      11-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #122
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

The guy is the richest man in the world. As far as I know he did not inherit most of his wealth (although I think his family was well off) so that means he is either good at making money or very very lucky or both. Now you can argue about how he made the money and if it's government subsidies or vaporware bs snake oil... but the bottom line is he made it. So who am I to say what he's doing is wrong from a business perspective. It's like a 500lbs guy giving fitness advice to a bodybuilder.

That's not saying it's impossible he fucked up, maybe he did, but I'm betting he's fucked things up before and still managed to be the richest guy in the world so. If he can convince people to pay $12k for vaporware FSD then I'm sure he can probably figure out a way to monetize twitter. If not I'm sure no one will be shedding a tear for his $44 billion loss or for twitter.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6731.50
      11-21-2022, 12:17 PM   #123
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Not taking away what he and his workers have built at Tesla, but what gets lost in this and pisses me off about Musk……….he never admits to the massive government subsidies (billions) that kept him and his businesses going. Also extremely ironic he’s decided to be a Republican, who never would have gone for the tax breaks on his electric cars etc etc.

We don’t know it if has been or hasn’t been realistic or not. He seems never to have tried it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...ty-2021-12?amp
Elon has been on record stating hes voted democrat the majority of his life. Its only recently hes been on the republican side, and as he puts it, he is more anti whoever is in power than left or right.

He donated over 100k to Obama, he donated millions to dems in 2016, he got in to a twitter spat with Trump while he was in office, he backed Democrat Andrew Lang in the primaries, he even said he voted Hilary and Biden in 2016 and 2020. And really, up until after the 2020 election, most people on the left were on his side. Only recently have views of Dems and Republicans switched on him.

Quote:
How so

Now look at those views of them from a few years back. There was a big shift in how each side viewed him recently. And a lot of it came when Musk said he wasnt going to support Dems in the primaries earlier this year and then announced he was buying twitter and letting Trump back on.

He went from a green energy, EV god to pariah because he didnt want to support democrats.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15805.00
x622971.00
      11-21-2022, 12:39 PM   #124
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Like I said before, what you’re saying right now doesn’t prove anything. No investment pays off in a week.

I’ll check this thread again next year. Peace out guys, keep saying you know more than big investors. I sure don’t so I’ll wait and chat with you guys next year.
The same investors that caused the 07-08 crisis?

I need to find your flavor of Kool-Aid, it must be better than anything I can find.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #125
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Besides getting rid of the bots, and attempting restoration of free speech to the heavily censored platform, I wonder what else Elon is trying to achieve? I'll just leave this here. Takes only a few minutes to watch.
That Youtube link popped up this funny parody of an ex-Twitter employee interviewing for a "real" job. LOL. Funny stuff.

Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15805.00
vreihen1615487.00
      11-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #126
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Hopefully Facebook/meta will be next, followed by sweeping restrictions on instagram, spapchat and tiktok. Give them the adult content rating they deserve. Get them out of the hands of our kids and fine those who have targeted the youth and the unsophisticated. More education in the classroom on what theses internet apps are doing to our young peoples developing minds.
I agree for the record. Kids are literally addicted to tiktok. It's as big of a problem as the drug epidemic.

I shake my head with what Meta is promoting with VR. Is the real world that bad? Why do we need an alternate universe to interact.
You mean letting kids choose their reality instead of facing reality presents a problem for developing minds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #127
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I agree for the record. Kids are literally addicted to tiktok. It’s as big of a problem as the drug epidemic.
Lol, this is some boomer nonsense if I've ever seen it. Comparing TikTok videos to opioids and fentanyl. TikTok won't even be popular in 10 years.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113257.50
      11-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #128
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
“defending conservative misinformation spreaders like Trump, and even promoting misinformation himself with his recent Pelosi tweet”
Exactly what I meant.
________4160.00
      11-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #129
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Now look at those views of them from a few years back. There was a big shift in how each side viewed him recently. And a lot of it came when Musk said he wasnt going to support Dems in the primaries earlier this year and then announced he was buying twitter and letting Trump back on.

He went from a green energy, EV god to pariah because he didnt want to support democrats.
No, this is revisionist history. He started losing support among many when he started behaving erratically and tweeting dumb crap all the time, including getting himself investigated by the SEC multiple times and sued. This started a bit before he became "political".
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11469.50
minn1914070.50
      11-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #130
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

I'm 100% on-board with Musk in trying to dismantle this cultural plague. Even if Twitter collapses it'll be a victory for society.

Anti-Musk folks are the same people driving around in their cars with masks on....alone.
Appreciate 1
Todd0131379.50
      11-21-2022, 02:07 PM   #131
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I'm 100% on-board with Musk in trying to dismantle this cultural plague. Even if Twitter collapses it'll be a victory for society.
Anti-Musk folks are the same people driving around in their cars with masks on....alone.
FWIW, I’ve been anti Musk all along. The guy is smart as hell but seems to be a terrible human being overall and getting worse. The guy will stab anybody in the back and flip flop when it suits him. ‘Murica business in a nutshell.

Also, I’m waiting for my daughter alone in my C4S maskless.

Just trying to lighten the mood and needle you a little bit here and the F1 forum.
Appreciate 1
chris7197365.00
      11-21-2022, 02:08 PM   #132
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
FWIW, I’ve been anti Musk all along. The guy is smart as hell but seems to be a terrible human being overall and getting worse. The guy will stab anybody in the back and flip flop when it suits him. ‘Murica business in a nutshell.

Also, I’m waiting for my daughter alone in my C4S maskless.
You got that Porsche Design COVID air filter?
Appreciate 2
minn1914070.50
M5Rick61206.00