BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

11-14-2023, 01:49 PM   #1
xCake
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 530d

E61 SOS call system failure

Hello!

I have a BMW E61, model year 2005. I have a SOS call system failure that comes up after every start, after like a minute or so. It all started when i pressed my SOS button for fun, shouldnt have done that because it was all just fine before that but well, what can you do now

I know for a fact that this is happening because my fiber optic cables have been damaged behind the headunit, so im guessing its because the headunit cant communicate with the TCU to make a emergency call. I dont care about the functionality of the SOS button and i really dont mind the fiber optic to be broken as it has not had any other effect on the car.

But my question is: how do i get the SOS call failure system failure to not pop up every single time? i think everytime i start the car it maybe tries to call the emergency services or something and cant and then throws the failure. The fiber optics have been broken for long way before pressing the SOS button, but now pressing the SOS button made this error come up every time, so my thought is that its now trying to call the emergency services everytime when i start the car. Is there a way to make the car forget that i ever pressed this button, because obviously this started right after i pressed the sos button. It also seems to forget the error for a bit because every time i start the car it takes a minute or so like i mentioned.

I have tried unplugging the battery for a few minutes and resetting the codes with ISTA but they havent had any effect.

I heard you could just take the battery connectors off and touch them for a bit to drain all modules, could that help? I have a feeling that could reset the modules so they dont send a call signal anymore, or well till the next time someone presses the button. But seems like a risky way to me, would that be safe?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 03:58 AM   #2
Machinecz
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 , E63 , E64

The most common issue lies within the green optics, interruptions, or within the TCU. If you conduct diagnostics, observe errors related to optics and check if the TCU unit is visible. There can be various reasons for interruptions in the green optics, which could involve any device along the path. Some vehicles have a combination of MulF+TCU, and even the MulF unit can experience failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:00 AM   #3
Machinecz
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 , E63 , E64

It is possible to decode the SOS equipment, but this may also decode the Bluetooth functions. Disconnecting the optics and using a clamp on it to close the circuit of the optics can be one way to achieve this.
Appreciate 0