BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Car

Problem with internet signal....

At my house, I have been having trouble even getting marginal connectivity to my wireless router on the top floor. My router is in the basement because that is where my desktop and home entertainment center is. The router I am using is this router http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00 . Right now I am using the router for my PS3, Xbox360, desktop, blu-ray player, receiver, and laptop that are all in the basement so moving everything is not an option. Since I am not very knowledgable on the subject matter, how would a bridge work? Do I setup it up on another floor so the connectivity on the top floor gets better reception? I need this so the computer in my bedroom can be used for streaming netflix and gaming.

Any help will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Best thing to do would be to run a hardline Cat 5/5e/6 Ethernet line up to another router/wireless access point. That access point would then run a duplicate of your current router's wireless network, and your computer should be able to seamlessly hand-off between them.

If you don't want to run a wire, you can get a new router/access point and run it in bridge/repeater mode. There should be instructions for how to set it up in that mode. You will need to setup the new router on an intermediate floor where it can still get good reception to the basement, but is closer to the upstairs.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I've used a wireless wifi repeater with good results . Pretty painless to setup only needs a power cord.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

generally speaking Wireless just does not work well, through out an entire house, there is always a dead zone. I personally only use wireless if I have to and have no other choice in my house. Over time I have run cat5 all over my house and hooked most everything to hard wire and places my wireless router closest to where I use it.

Here is what I would do if you can, Buy a non-wireless router with lots of ports in it, Hooks all your games systems and video system into that, then set up the wireless router you have as an access point (no DHCP services) and connect it to the new hard wire router via Cat5 and runt that cable upstairs some place so that the wireless access is about half away between all locations you plan to use it.
Appreciate 0