BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-25-2020, 05:19 AM   #155
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
So you think congress will pass an amendment ending the 2 A?...
As to guns being dangerous sure they are. So are band-saws. I heartily endorse proper training for anyone that thinks they want to own a gun. Or a band-saw.
Frankly I would love the US to adopt the same level of drivers ed they have in Germany. I'd bet the majority of licensed drivers in the US could not pass their test.
We don't need to trash the 2A; pls tell us what well regulated militia you belong to. 2A does not say anyone who can put their X on a paper can have an assault rifle.
Band saws vs guns. Oh, another false equivalency. Continuing your missive that dogs are a comparable danger to guns: Cocker Spaniels consistently bite more people than other breeds. We need Cocker control laws!
It would be nice to see better driving in the US. & I would love to see the gun control laws from almost any advanced country adopted here; we are so far behind the curve....

Murf
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #156
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You meant ahead right.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #157
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
We don't need to trash the 2A; pls tell us what well regulated militia you belong to. 2A does not say anyone who can put their X on a paper can have an assault rifle.
Band saws vs guns. Oh, another false equivalency. Continuing your missive that dogs are a comparable danger to guns: Cocker Spaniels consistently bite more people than other breeds. We need Cocker control laws!
It would be nice to see better driving in the US. & I would love to see the gun control laws from almost any advanced country adopted here; we are so far behind the curve....

Murf
Again you misread what I write. And I notice you don't wish to ever quote me to show context. I do find you intentionally misleading in this thread.

Band-saws are also dangerous. I made a true equivalency. Once again you want to pretend I meant equal deaths. Don't put words in my mouth. Guns are dangerous. As are many objects in life. Misunderstand if you will.

As to cocker spaniels I don't care. I don't want to ban any dogs. I do want to hold any owner of a dog responsible if his pet harms someone else. Same as with guns. I don't want to ban any style of gun. Only hold the owner liable for it's misuse if he fails to properly own it.

As to militia - you also misread the constitution and 2 A. Not surprising since so many people that want to ban guns do that. Your time spent on handgun ban inc. sites is obvious. For the sake of others reading this, the militia statement is NOT a requirement. it is mentioned as one reason why the 2A is written. Proper parsing of the 2A does not mandate one being in a militia because at that time it was assumed that every man was a member regardless of being actively drilling. But hey, don't take my word for it. Do some research and find me one time the supreme court has ruled that the 2 A is not an individual right. Is free speech a group right too?

You could also do some real research and examine the cause of the 2A being written, as well as the entire BORs. And read the Federalist papers to get background on their feelings on how it was written.

Next comment - "but it meant only muskets".

So predictable.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      03-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #158
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Again you misread what I write....
Band-saws are also dangerous. Only hold the owner liable for it's misuse if he fails to properly own it....
Your time spent on handgun ban inc. sites is obvious....
Next comment - "but it meant only muskets".

So predictable.
Again, I wish we could hold gun buyers liable the way you say band saw owners should be.
Really, I read too much "Handgun Ban inc."!?! Never heard of it. I read the NYTimes extensively, & books, like I hope many here take a break to do.
The musket comment sounds very originalist; pretty obvious not my bag.

So all predictions wrong!

Murf
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #159
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Again, I wish we could hold gun buyers liable the way you say band saw owners should be.
Really, I read too much "Handgun Ban inc."!?! Never heard of it. I read the NYTimes extensively, & books, like I hope many here take a break to do.
The musket comment sounds very originalist; pretty obvious not my bag.

So all predictions wrong!

Murf
"Handgun Ban inc." = NYTimes
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #160
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
"Handgun Ban inc." = NYTimes
Which one do you subscribe to?

Habits of the highly successful:
1) Read NYTimes
2) Read WSJ
3) Watch Faux news (BAHAHAHAHA)

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 03-25-2020 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #161
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The National Guard is 100% tied up building field hospitals. Street thugs in a nearby city that's already a riot tinderbox are feeling emboldened because of the COVID-19 "catch and release" going on. City police go lethal on one of them yesterday brandishing a shiny silver pistol. What could possibly go wrong?

Still from city police body cam:

City Councilman (and social agitator) Omari Shakur posted a video on Facebook saying "an unarmed black man" was shot and killed by police, who he called "pigs" and said are "killers."

Overnight riots:

The riots are still boiling this morning, with police from three counties, the State Police, and even the FBI deployed trying to keep things from escalating further. There are also news pictures of the city police setting up a perimeter at the hospital, to make sure that it is not the next riot location.

Watching society crumble only 11 miles from my house makes me grateful that I planned ahead by jumping through multi-years of flaming hoops to get my NY State CCW permit right now, in case I need to protect myself and my neighbors when the police and even the military can't.....

kscarrol8775.50
      03-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #162
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The National Guard is 100% tied up building field hospitals. Street thugs in a nearby city that's already a riot tinderbox are feeling emboldened because of the COVID-19 "catch and release" going on. City police go lethal on one of them yesterday brandishing a shiny silver pistol. What could possibly go wrong?

Still from city police body cam:

City Councilman (and social agitator) Omari Shakur posted a video on Facebook saying "an unarmed black man" was shot and killed by police, who he called "pigs" and said are "killers."

Overnight riots:

The riots are still boiling this morning, with police from three counties, the State Police, and even the FBI deployed trying to keep things from escalating further. There are also news pictures of the city police setting up a perimeter at the hospital, to make sure that it is not the next riot location.

Watching society crumble only 11 miles from my house makes me grateful that I planned ahead by jumping through multi-years of flaming hoops to get my NY State CCW permit right now, in case I need to protect myself and my neighbors when the police and even the military can't.....

I want to say I'm shocked. But really I'm not. And the sad thing is I have been expecting something like this to happen sooner than later. I've mentioned New Orleans and Katrina in some of my past posts as something where it's going to history repeating itself. Here we are.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614885.00
      03-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #163
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
I like to think most of us will pull together through this. And I think we will for the most part. However, desperate people can react in desperate ways. Let's hope we can keep the lid on.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #164
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Folks, this is nothing new.
It's Newburgh, NY. Been like this for decades.

From Facebook:
" If this is the way you publicize a small crowd burning some garbage in the middle of Carpenter Avenue I'd love to see what you would write for an actual riot"

Murf
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614885.00
      03-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #165
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

Quote:

Murf
Can you define the term "assault rifle" ?
      03-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #166
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

It's any rifle i use to assault people, which is none so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #167
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOG View Post
I'm sure someone here who watches Faux News can help you....
I think you just want to pick a fight instead of going forward.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #168
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure someone here who watches Faux News can help you....
I think you just want to pick a fight instead of going forward.

Murf
No not trying to pick a fight, I am generally interested in what makes you classify something as assault rifle. That term is thrown around alot, yet most people can not cannot provide an actual list of criteria that makes a weapon an assault rifle.
      03-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #169
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Anything with a 100 round clip :-)

Yeah, I went there.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614885.00
      03-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #170
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No not trying to pick a fight, I am generally interested in what makes you classify something as assault rifle. That term is thrown around alot, yet most people can not cannot provide an actual list of criteria that makes a weapon an assault rifle.

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

The dictionary says:
a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.

and you can find this as well:
An assault rifle is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed rifle designed for military use. It is a shoulder-fired weapon that allows the shooter to select between semi-automatic (requiring you pull the trigger for each shot), fully automatic (hold the trigger and the gun continuously fires) or three-shot-burst modes.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #171
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

So something no one can really buy. Automatic weapons arent a thing. Semiautomatic is and fire the same way as a handgun which are more often used to kill people. I have never heard of a case of any weapon in any shooting every being an automatic.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #172
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
So something no one can really buy. Automatic weapons arent a thing. Semiautomatic is and fire the same way as a handgun which are more often used to kill people. I have never heard of a case of any weapon in any shooting every being an automatic.

Incorrect. You can own fully automatic weapons, and by default, you would then own an assault rifle/weapon.

Last edited by andrewmr; 03-28-2020 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #173
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
The likelihood of an FFL holder or someone who has spent the money to get a transferable pre 86 machine gun commiting a crime with a weapon is slim to none.
      03-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #174
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Incorrect. You can own fully automatic weapons, and by definition you would then own an assault rifle/weapon.
It is almost impossible for a member of the general public to legally own an automatic weapon
      03-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #175
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is almost impossible for a member of the general public to legally own an automatic weapon

Again, wrong.

It's just a matter of a tax stamp. And the price of the firearm.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #176
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Quote:

Again, wrong.
Ok without spending an obscene amount of money or getting an FFL it is