BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #45
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
That's awesome. Most folks will not give it to people who need it, though.

Maybe your SIL needs to get a job or something, though? (Don't flame me,, I obviously do not know her situation)
No flame. You don't know the situation. She and hubby are both decent people. He is mid 60s and unemployable as his job skills have him competing with much younger people and physical health make him not in demand. I think he is over 400 pounds and not very mobile.

She is also over 60, a LEGAL green card carrying immigrant and his wife of 40 years. She has had serious colon cancer and removal of parts. She hasn't eaten in over a year living on intravenous feeding.

I can't say it is no fault of theirs that they are broke. I believe they were kinda flush at one time but didn't handle it well and now are dirt poor. We have been helping them for years now and I suspect her condition will kill her before much longer. They do have one daughter who is helpful. She is a Captain (soon major) in the army and assists financially. But I think they have it pretty rough with zero luxury and of course she can't eat or drink so life sucks anyway.

Things like this make you appreciate what we have. My greatest issue since the virus is no gathering of the boys after golf and I can't get my acrylic nails backfilled (for guitar) and they will start peeling off in a week or two. Truly I have first world problems. I am lucky. I hope this bill helps those in need.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
No flame. You don't know the situation. She and hubby are both decent people. He is mid 60s and unemployable as his job skills have him competing with much younger people and physical health make him not in demand. I think he is over 400 pounds and not very mobile.

She is also over 60, a LEGAL green card carrying immigrant and his wife of 40 years. She has had serious colon cancer and removal of parts. She hasn't eaten in over a year living on intravenous feeding.

I can't say it is no fault of theirs that they are broke. I believe they were kinda flush at one time but didn't handle it well and now are dirt poor. We have been helping them for years now and I suspect her condition will kill her before much longer. They do have one daughter who is helpful. She is a Captain (soon major) in the army and assists financially. But I think they have it pretty rough with zero luxury and of course she can't eat or drink so life sucks anyway.

Things like this make you appreciate what we have. My greatest issue since the virus is no gathering of the boys after golf and I can't get my acrylic nails backfilled (for guitar) and they will start peeling off in a week or two. Truly I have first world problems. I am lucky. I hope this bill helps those in need.
Their situation definitely sucks. I can relate on the colon cancer side as I've had it. Don't mind money going to people in this situation.

As to your response to the poster about your SIL, just his typical assumptions about people without knowing anything about the situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 10:56 PM   #47
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

So I haven't watched the news in a while.

I have to file for 2019 to get this?
They won't go off my 2018 filing?

I haven't done my '19 taxes yet.

CNBC article I found says they'll use 2018 if '19 hasn't been done yet. Hopefully that's true ... though i think the account I used changed. Eh find out I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes. The IRS will use the most current info they have on you. If it's 2019, then your eligibility/payout amount will be based on your 2019 return. If it's 2018, then it'll be based on that.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #49
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Yes. The IRS will use the most current info they have on you. If it's 2019, then your eligibility/payout amount will be based on your 2019 return. If it's 2018, then it'll be based on that.
True, and if your situation changed (address, more kids, bank account) then filing 2019 will update the IRS so you get the correct amount, in the correct bank account, faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #50
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I won't get anything....but I wish I did as I would give it away to others that will need it in a few weeks or so when they will be needing money again.

I won't lie. It's a struggle for me. I have an emergency fund that would last probably 18 months. I would honestly give a big part of that away to others in need if not for the fact that I don't know what the cards hold for the future.

If it was guaranteed that I wouldn't end up needing it, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

I may put on a "tough guy" persona to people around me, but it kills me seeing others struggle through no fault of their own as I lived that life growing up.

So I help as I can....but I wish I could do so much more.
jamesinaz1627.00
vreihen1614885.00
      03-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #51
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Thankfully both my wife and I are in careers that will still pay short of an absolute meltdown (knock on wood). We had a nice pile of cash set aside, but burned through the majority in purchasing our first home a little under two months ago. I really don’t know what we would be doing if we suddenly lost our income. I’ll say even in my position I am still concerned and wonder if we should have still been renting with our cash on hand. I know, crystal balls and what not, but I’m stressing and financially nothing has changed for my family. I can only imagine what this is doing to everyone in a less fortunate situation.

We’re in the camp that we don’t need the check given our circumstance, but I feel that we need to save everything we can just in case.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614885.00
      03-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #52
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Another PSA (also posted in another thread):

Anyone who owns a small business (including sole proprietors), or even people who work for small businesses, should look into paycheck protection loans. I haven’t reviewed in detail yet, but it looks like it is worth some time to do so.
zx10guy5139.00
2000cs3445.50
      03-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #53
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Another PSA (also posted in another thread):

Anyone who owns a small business (including sole proprietors), or even people who work for small businesses, should look into paycheck protection loans. I haven’t reviewed in detail yet, but it looks like it is worth some time to do so.
I've been paying into a supplemental salary policy/insurance for some time which guarantees a certain amount per month in money should I lose my job or have to stop working due to disability. It's through Unum. I have to double check how much of my salary it supplements per month. It's not a whole lot but it's something.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410879.00
      03-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #54
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Most of this bail out consists of politicians buying votes. It reminds me of a scene in a movie where the rich guy dumps $100 bills from the roof of a downtown building. In what world does a family making $150k in small town USA , who still has his/her job, need free cash compared to $75k in NYC that lost a job. We already have a semi-valid unemployment insurance system that has been used during times of a national crisis ( 2008 crash) to help those that lost their jobs. Paying those that have not only kept their jobs but may have increased earnings only lessens available funds for those who need help. Why are we also giving large sums to HOSPITALS. Last time I looked HCA and others are not only flush but are billing the crap out of us for this health crisis...they run a business with incredible demand increase. Plus random payments to Howard U, NYC performing arts , etc. After all of this spending, get ready for next years national sales tax to pay for this.

Last edited by Twt; 03-28-2020 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3508.50
rebekahb3128.50
      03-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #55
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Some of you underestimate how many $150k+ households live paycheck-to-paycheck...
150k for a household in north NJ, not even Manhattan, is like nothing.

Just rent for a decent 2-3 bedroom is going to run 3k+ a month.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614885.00