BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #45
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vddr View Post
I got out of college and moved to LA two years ago, being young and having to change cities, it was definitely more fun to have roomates, esp because I know them before coming here. I don’t think anyone in my position would choose differently

Also, I make enough to buy a couple of M3 but got a very very good lease deal so I took that.
2 years out of school and you make enough to buy a couple of m3s? Guess starting salaries have really increased over the last few years...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #46
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

I would kill him.

Also, sell the car, stop renting your home, buy a home, then take up a new lease when you can. You will be much happier (its been scientifically proven)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #47
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
2 years out of school and you make enough to buy a couple of m3s? Guess starting salaries have really increased over the last few years...
There are widely varying opinions on what it means to be able to "afford" a car here on e90post. I found that out pretty quickly
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #48
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Also, I make enough to buy a couple of M3 but got a very very good lease deal so I took that. I can buy my own house but given the rent to price ratios its much cheaper and safer to rent.
I couldn't stop laughing at this statement. Please tell me you are kidding?
      07-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #49
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
He is right about the house.... by the time the wife gets done with our houses i dont see much of an investment anymore.... I still prefer to buy but he has a point. I cant speak on the first statement.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #50
Goat Rodeo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3, '06 M3, '02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotenseto View Post
Exactly... M3 + roommates? Unless they are all playmates of the year your priorities are ****-ed up.
Quote:
Why all the roommate hate?

I live in Georgetown with four roommates, three of them very attractive females. The house we share would cost me around 3.5 million to buy but instead I spend less than 2% of my income to live there. I have three M3s including a brand new 2013. I save and/or invest over 50% of my after-tax income and go out in DC on average five nights a week.

My priorities are just fine. There's no point in buying a home until you've found a wife and want to live the quiet life. Unless you're antisocial.

Last edited by Goat Rodeo; 07-10-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #51
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Must be OP's first M3....

To Goat Rodeo, 3.5 M house and 3 M3's and 2% income on rent and 50% post tax into savings and 3 hot roomies?...damn, riding goats must pay alot more than it used to...

Rumor in Georgetown---"1 perfect guy and 3 goats in a single 3.5M home and all you here all night is--->"bwaahh, bwahhh"
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #52
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
He is right about the house.... by the time the wife gets done with our houses i dont see much of an investment anymore.... I still prefer to buy but he has a point. I cant speak on the first statement.
I live in cali and he is way off base.

a cheap shitty place with one bedroom, kitchen, a living room at $1200.

You start adding roommates it starts to go up from their. I have a friend that is living with 3 other room mates. Each room mate pays up 600 every month and that is a good part of town.

I pay only $200 dollars more every month and I have a house and I live in a very nice part of town in Southern California.

So follow me with this for a second. He said that he can afford a couple of M3s. So lets say 2 is a couple. We will assume afford is to lease. To lease and m3 for a term of 36 months, drive 15000 miles annually and put down 2500 come to $787 every month. So with two M3s is about $1574 every month. And lets assume he is also paying 600 every month cause he has roommates. That brings the total to $2174. This is a lot of money just for cars and rent.

But lets stick with one M3. If he takes his rent money, again assuming he is paying 600 (we don't actually know what he is paying very month) and re purpose that for mortgage and getting rid of California ago of, I can afford a couple of M3s and re-purpose that money to Mortgage, that brings that total to $1387. Hmmm... that is a nice chunk of money to be paying for mortgage. That is how much I was paying in California for my mortgage before the housing crisis.

However, if he is referring to owning a house on mount olympus in california, bell air, some parts of Beverly hills or just any house all up in the hills with a exceptional view, than I will agree with him. Till than, I can not say that I can agree with his statement.

Again... this are all assumptions based on information I know from my friends and, from myself being an actual home own for over 7 years, and the statements the OP made. I have no idea how much he actually pays for rent or his M3.

If you are smart about it you can purchase a very nice house with a very low interest rate right now and it would be much better than renting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo View Post
Why all the roommate hate?
My statement was not about roommates or even geared towards that. It was toward a particular comment that he made about renting is cheaper than owning a house and how he can afford a couple of M3s.

I do know one thing is us Californians have bigger egos and mouths than we can actually afford. I lost count how many people I know that have multiple fast cars yet they live in shitty places spouting off their mouths on how great they are cause they can smoke anyone on the road.

you don't need to buy or live in a 3.5 million dollar house unless you choose too. To each his own though. But if you are as money savvy as you say you are, wouldn't it be better to buy a house that is even $600,000 and than rent it out to three attractive women? But as you said, their is no point in buying a house unless you found a wife or anti-social.

But if you like throwing your money away on renting than that is your choice.

Last edited by Zeros and ones; 07-11-2013 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #53
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:

You start adding roommates it starts to go up from their. I have a friend that is living with 3 other room mates. Each room mate pays up 600 every month and that is a good part of town.

I pay only $200 dollars more every month and I have a house and I live in a very nice part of town in Southern California.

So follow me with this for a second. He said that he can afford a couple of M3s. So lets say 2 is a couple. We will assume afford is to lease. To lease and m3 for a term of 36 months, drive 15000 miles annually and put down 2500 come to $787 every month. So with two M3s is about $1574 every month. And lets assume he is also paying 600 every month cause he has roommates. That brings the total to $2174. This is a lot of money just for cars and rent.

But lets stick with one M3. If he takes his rent money, again assuming he is paying 600 (we don't actually know what he is paying very month) and re purpose that for mortgage and getting rid of California ago of, I can afford a couple of M3s and re-purpose that money to Mortgage, that brings that total to $1387. Hmmm... that is a nice chunk of money to be paying for mortgage. That is how much I was paying in California for my mortgage before the housing crisis.

However, if he is referring to owning a house on mount olympus in california, bell air, some parts of Beverly hills or just any house all up in the hills with a exceptional view, than I will agree with him. Till than, I can not say that I can agree with his statement.

Again... this are all assumptions based on information I know from my friends and, from myself being an actual home own for over 7 years, and the statements the OP made. I have no idea how much he actually pays for rent or his M3.

If you are smart about it you can purchase a very nice house with a very low interest rate right now and it would be much better than renting out.

My statement was not about roommates or even geared towards that. It was toward a particular comment that he made about renting is cheaper than owning a house and how he can afford a couple of M3s.

I do know one thing is us Californians have bigger egos and mouths than we can actually afford. I lost count how many people I know that have multiple fast cars yet they live in shitty places spouting off their mouths on how great they are cause they can smoke anyone on the road.

I apologize if my comment was miss-understood.

Ugh I just cringed.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #54
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

destroy him and his life
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #55
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Make him pay for your next oil change or something. That's super messed up.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #56
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Borrow his dildo without asking.

What does anyone need 3 M3s for? Are the 3 hot roommates actually hoes you have to pay to live with you?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #57
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow, value added comments, buddy...at least you actually drive an M3, so it says in your profile.
Aww, don't feel bad.

I own that car AND my own house. So no worries about douchebag roommates stealing my car here.
      07-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #58
Goat Rodeo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3, '06 M3, '02 M3

Quote:
I can afford a couple of M3s and re-purpose that money to Mortgage, that brings that total to $1387. ...But if you are as money savvy as you say you are, wouldn't it be better to buy a house that is even $600,000 and than rent it out to three attractive women?
You can't buy a house in a major coastal city in the USA for 600K that is worth living in. 600K will buy you a seriously run down condo that needs work in LA or NYC. In DC you can buy a rowhome for 600K but at night the transitional neighborhood you've moved in turns into the Wire past 10PM. You have to move into the suburbs to make 600K workable, and IMO no reason to move to the country till you want a wife and land.

As I said, I live (rent) in a $3.5mm house which is walking distance to everything yet pay 1/10th of what the mortgage cost would be. To me renting makes much better financial sense than buying vis a vis my location. I would never spend more than 1mm on a house; I would much rather have a nice sailing yacht or multiple properties in the future.

I know a lot of people who immediately started saving and then bought homes out of college. Most of them live in shitty houses that they call "starter homes." In addition to living in the middle of nowhere, they pour tons of money into fixing up their homes and fixing all the crap that breaks. In the end they are still living in 1950s style tract homes that look like dumps. I have never and still do not see the point in buying a home till one is thoroughly financially established; especially when rent is so much cheaper than buying in places worth living for young people in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
What does anyone need 3 M3s for?
I don't think anyone needs even one M3.
But:
2002 Coupe for HPDEs/shitty weather
2006 Vert for sunny days/weekend excursions/dating
2013 Coupe daily driver

Last edited by Goat Rodeo; 07-11-2013 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #59
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Seeing as how OP vehemently argued he can afford his own house, my new suggestion is you kill the roomie and incorporate him into the foundation of the new house you build. No one will ever know.

That is all.

I jest - though I think some people on here might actually seriously entertain the possibility if they were in your shoes because they love their M3 so much.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #60
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

OP, driving someone else's car without permission is really a disgraceful and illegal act - regardless of whether the car owner is an enthusiast or not. Moral issues aside, both he and you could have been screwed if he drove it and crashed it, let alone if he killed someone with it. As such, you have sincerely let him know the potential danger of becoming a criminal (car thief and a murderer) if he does not ask for permission again next time, saying that you'll just report the car stolen under similar circumstances.

After that's been described, you have to punish him for his immoral actions - that's only fair. I don't know what would be the best way, but if I were you, I would propose him to pay for an overall inspection at the dealer as well as the break-in oil change at minimum, that is, if nothing is broken. I would describe this as an important part of enjoying a car of such caliber. If he drove it, he has to understand and carry-out the responsibilities and costs associated with driving it. No one in his right mind should expect to drive someone else's M3 without some sort of compensation.

Of course, I think you should only try to have a gentlemanly conversation about this in a calm way, and get him to agree to your reasonable proposal. There's no use of arguing or fighting about it. If he doesn't agree to this, then either take legal action by accumulating whatever evidence you can, etc. if it really really means a lot to you (b/c this will take a lot of time and effort), or just consider him a dirt of the world and forget about it - you'll get over it. If he agrees, that would be respectable of him (and unexpected for this day and age), so give him another chance to develop your trust to be a friend, that is, if you're interested.

Hairy situation, but I don't see much tangible damage here. As a young professional, you'll learn a lot from this, so all I see is your gain in life experience from here on. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #61
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:

you don't need to buy or live in a 3.5 million dollar house unless you choose too. To each his own though. But if you are as money savvy as you say you are, wouldn't it be better to buy a house that is even $600,000 and than rent it out to three attractive women? But as you said, their is no point in buying a house unless you found a wife or anti-social.

But if you like throwing your money away on renting than that is your choice.
Judging by your username and analysis of the situation, I can only guess what you do for a living lol.

Anywway, back on topic. I live on LI and to afford a house on the island on a single person income is extremely difficuly (i refuse to live in a shit shack 1950's baby boomer house). Also, anything in the 5 boroughs will run you at least 400k for a small one bedroom. If you are young, its tough to save up a down payment for something like that. In which case I completely agree with what Goat_Rodeo was saying.

Another reason to rent is if you are uncertain of where your future will bring you. As OP seems to be young (just recently graduated) as am I, it makes sense to rent until you figure out where you are going to be located for the long term instead of paying all of the taxes/lawyer fees up front only to sell and have to buy somewhere else within a year or two.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #62
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
But:
2013 Coupe daily driver
Where do you park all your M3's in Georgetown? Don't tell me you have a garage
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #63
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
You can't buy a house in a major coastal city in the USA for 600K that is worth living in. 600K will buy you a seriously run down condo that needs work in LA or NYC. In DC you can buy a rowhome for 600K but at night the transitional neighborhood you've moved in turns into the Wire past 10PM. You have to move into the suburbs to make 600K workable, and IMO no reason to move to the country till you want a wife and land.

As I said, I live (rent) in a $3.5mm house which is walking distance to everything yet pay 1/10th of what the mortgage cost would be. To me renting makes much better financial sense than buying vis a vis my location. I would never spend more than 1mm on a house; I would much rather have a nice sailing yacht or multiple properties in the future.

I know a lot of people who immediately started saving and then bought homes out of college. Most of them live in shitty houses that they call "starter homes." In addition to living in the middle of nowhere, they pour tons of money into fixing up their homes and fixing all the crap that breaks. In the end they are still living in 1950s style tract homes that look like dumps. I have never and still do not see the point in buying a home till one is thoroughly financially established; especially when rent is so much cheaper than buying in places worth living for young people in the USA.
Have you really lived in LA to see what a 600K home looks like? Unless you look don't insult me by saying that it buys your run down condo or a house from the 1950's. It just shows me you have no idea what you are talking about. Also the cost of living in NYC as apposed to LA is drastically different and can not be compared.

Down the street from me their is a very nice ~3000 square foot home is going for 610K in a upscale neighborhood. Why? wouldn't I buy it because I am focusing my efforts in another state for real estate at the moment. Oh and the house was built in 2008. Go figure
      07-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #64
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Ugh I just cringed.

very constructive input. If you don't have anything worth of value don't speak. You can join the other meat heads in the corner.
      07-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #65
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

if he'll drive your car when you're not around who knows what else he does with your stuff. i'd cut my losses and walk away. the worst i ever did to a roomie was use his phone to surf the web when he was away for the summer (total cost $0).

the only reason not to own a home is if you're going to move or you can rent for free. having a paid off house (seems unfathomable to most people nowadays) means your only true expense is food (and taxes/utilities which can easily be offset by one roommate or any decent job/business)

though hey, i'm just sayin' as a 34 y/o who's already retired in a paid off townhouse. my m3's old, wouldn't mind a new one but is it worth going back to the grind for a newer car?

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 07-11-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #66
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

But:
2013 Coupe daily driver
I beg to differ.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Monrovia/54...6/home/7965959

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Monrovia/87...6/home/7966083

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Covina/2062...4/home/7942826

the house with all the doll pics was creepy though :/
Appreciate 0