BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-09-2023, 09:49 AM   #1
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Recommendation - fighting a speeding ticket

I live in MA and got a ticket in upstate NY in January. Clocked me at 81 in a 65. I was making a pass and didn't reduce my speed fast enough. Pretty sure I was closer to 90 when I saw him out of the corner of my eye and hit my brakes but after I pulled in front of the car I had just passed I was still over 80 and there were no other vehicles I could duck behind. He must have just set up his trap as I had Waze running and it was tipping to me to all the traps before...except this one. I was polite and he was all business. Instead of giving me a "speeding ticket," he gave me a "disobeyed traffic control device" which is a lesser moving violation I now understand...2 insurance points vs 4 (points vary in NY by the speed over the limit and ranges from 3-11!).

This was my first ticket since I was teenager so I decided to fight it. I drive a M240i that is almost always going faster than I think it is! For a small car, it is very well sorted and calm at speed. I went online and did some digging and found www.offtherecord.com. Within 24 hours I had a lawyer in NY working my case. It cost me $200 for the lawyer and the associated fees for the legal paperwork needed; online notary, RMV driving record. A month later the ticket was reduced to a non-moving violation. Still had to pay a fine of $175 for that, but 0 insurance points! Just wanted to share my experience in case others are on the fence about trying this service. Cost me ~$400 all said and done but saved me well over $1000 or more in surcharges and I didn't have to go to court. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by hooked; 03-09-2023 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 4
///MPhatic13540.00
Torgus3779.00
Sedoy675.50
slilley41.00
      03-09-2023, 11:18 AM   #2
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
The way I handle a speeding tickets is put off paying it for the allowed 6 months, then ask for an extension to pay. Then, when that extension is up, I proceed to say I want to fight it in court. Court day comes, cop doesn't show and I win! Woot!
Appreciate 3
///MPhatic13540.00
Torgus3779.00
nicholasn261.00
      03-09-2023, 11:32 AM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

You typically don't want any ticket on your record. Doesn't matter if there are no points assigned or not. This is all about preventing your insurance rates from going up. If your insurance company pulls your driving record and sees a moving violation, they'll hit you up with a surcharge due to the ticket being listed regardless of points or no points.

What I would try if your state has this is to get a PBJ (probation before judgement). If you have a good record, the judge can grant this which will prevent that ticket from showing on a standard driving record pull. If you go a year without any further incidents, the ticket just falls off as if nothing ever happened. For all of this you pay court fees. I got my mother out of a ticket for blowing through a newly installed Stop sign with a PBJ.

You're lucky that your ticket was changed to a non moving violation which the insurance company will probably just ignore.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13540.00
POBEP359.50
      03-09-2023, 11:56 AM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
The way I handle a speeding tickets is put off paying it for the allowed 6 months, then ask for an extension to pay. Then, when that extension is up, I proceed to say I want to fight it in court. Court day comes, cop doesn't show and I win! Woot!
I usually call the Clerk of Court and ask if I can just pay the fine with no points if I don't get another ticket in that county for 6 months.

If they won't do that I usually show up for court and speak with the PA, which will usually reduce it to a non-moving violation for double the fine.

Gotta' pay to play.

Never asked for an extension. I live in a small town, cops don't have anything better to do than show up for court.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
Not sure that is an option in NY? My ticket came with an assigned court date. I could either plead guilty by mail...pay the fine and eventually see the points on my insurance policy OR plead not guilty and show up on the pre-assigned date and roll the dice. The courthouse is 250 miles away so I opted to fight it online and it was a relatively painless process.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 12:55 PM   #6
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
Not sure that is an option in NY? My ticket came with an assigned court date. I could either plead guilty by mail...pay the fine and eventually see the points on my insurance policy OR plead not guilty and show up on the pre-assigned date and roll the dice. The courthouse is 250 miles away so I opted to fight it online and it was a relatively painless process.
I'm in California so the process is most likely different. That and I have not had a speeding ticket in 9 years.
Appreciate 1
hooked188.50
      03-09-2023, 01:26 PM   #7
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Great info thanks, did a free quote for speeding 11-15 over the limit in MA (my location) and got $245, very reasonable considering insurance upcharges.

Quote:
I live in MA and got a ticket in upstate NY in January. Clocked me at 81 in a 65. I was making a pass and didn't reduce my speed fast enough. Pretty sure I was closer to 90 when I saw him out of the corner of my eye and hit my brakes but after I pulled in front of the car I had just passed I was still over 80 and there were no other vehicles I could duck behind. He must have just set up his trap as I had Waze running and it was tipping to me to all the traps before...except this one. I was polite and he was all business. Instead of giving me a "speeding ticket," he gave me a "disobeyed traffic control device" which is a lesser moving violation I now understand...2 insurance points vs 4 (points vary in NY by the speed over the limit and ranges from 3-11!).

This was my first ticket since I was teenager so I decided to fight it. I drive a M240i that is almost always going faster than I think it is! For a small car, it is very well sorted and calm at speed. I went online and did some digging and found www.offtherecord.com. Within 24 hours I had a lawyer in NY working my case. It cost me $200 for the lawyer and the associated fees for the legal paperwork needed; online notary, RMV driving record. A month later the ticket was reduced to a non-moving violation. Still had to pay a fine of $175 for that, but 0 insurance points! Just wanted to share my experience in case others are on the fence about trying this service. Cost me ~$400 all said and done but saved me well over $1000 or more in surcharges and I didn't have to go to court. Your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 09:47 PM   #8
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:

This was my first ticket since I was teenager so I decided to fight it. I drive a M240i that is almost always going faster than I think it is! For a small car, it is very well sorted and calm at speed. I went online and did some digging and found www.offtherecord.com. Within 24 hours I had a lawyer in NY working my case. It cost me $200 for the lawyer and the associated fees for the legal paperwork needed; online notary, RMV driving record. A month later the ticket was reduced to a non-moving violation. Still had to pay a fine of $175 for that, but 0 insurance points! Just wanted to share my experience in case others are on the fence about trying this service. Cost me ~$400 all said and done but saved me well over $1000 or more in surcharges and I didn't have to go to court. Your mileage . vary.
That's the way it works. The lawyers know the prosecutors. The town gets their $175 the lawyer gets their $200/hr, more if they have a few clients that night. And you are happy.

Sometimes prosecutors are lawyers or judges in other jurisdictions. You were not doing anything dangerous and fell into their trap! Let me guess. Sullivan County?

Here in NJ it's even more ridiculous.

///Rich
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 10:06 PM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

extortion of its own citizens. ehhh what you gunna do.

municpal court they all in cohoots
Appreciate 1
nicholasn261.00
      03-10-2023, 06:55 AM   #10
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
That's the way it works. The lawyers know the prosecutors. The town gets their $175 the lawyer gets their $200/hr, more if they have a few clients that night. And you are happy.

Sometimes prosecutors are lawyers or judges in other jurisdictions. You were not doing anything dangerous and fell into their trap! Let me guess. Sullivan County?
Warren County. Route 87 South. Bringing my youngest son home from a hockey tournament in Lake Placid.

I understand the ticket. I got caught breaking a law and got a fine. That part makes sense to me. It's the insurance points on "moving violations" that feels unjustified. I did not harm anyone, cause any damage or put anyone else at risk. I was not driving dangerously or even aggressively. The flow of traffic was averaging 75 in a 65. I made a pass to get myself into an open space to keep cruising home. Unlucky timing on my part but not something I should have to pay extra insurance for year after year. Give points to people that cause accidents/damage or put others at significant risk.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2023, 07:22 AM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
It's the insurance points on "moving violations" that feels unjustified.
They are part of the extortion process. Makes me wish I lived in one of the 9 states that don't have points.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:13 AM   #12
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I usually call the Clerk of Court and ask if I can just pay the fine with no points if I don't get another ticket in that county for 6 months.

If they won't do that I usually show up for court and speak with the PA, which will usually reduce it to a non-moving violation for double the fine.

Gotta' pay to play.

Never asked for an extension. I live in a small town, cops don't have anything better to do than show up for court.
"usually" and " if they won't do that"? How many tickets do you have?

And when I was a LEO, we were issued a summons for court and showing up was not an option, it was mandatory.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:57 AM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
"usually" and " if they won't do that"? How many tickets do you have?

And when I was a LEO, we were issued a summons for court and showing up was not an option, it was mandatory.
If they won't play ball I go to court and they will play, they always do.

It's about the money, nothing more.

Sometimes a court appearance is mandatory, but I can get that fixed as well. You'd be surprised what you can do over the phone.

I have no tickets, and haven't had in a very long time.

The way I see it, I'm speeding 90% of the time. If I get a ticket I deserve it, but I still only pay the money, I don't get the points...ever.

I don't pay attorneys when I can do the same job they do with regards to a ticket. The only difference between them and me is that it's never a court apparance for them, they just make a call and it's done.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 12:40 PM   #14
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
If they won't play ball I go to court and they will play, they always do.

It's about the money, nothing more.

Sometimes a court appearance is mandatory, but I can get that fixed as well. You'd be surprised what you can do over the phone.

I have no tickets, and haven't had in a very long time.

The way I see it, I'm speeding 90% of the time. If I get a ticket I deserve it, but I still only pay the money, I don't get the points...ever.

I don't pay attorneys when I can do the same job they do with regards to a ticket. The only difference between them and me is that it's never a court apparance for them, they just make a call and it's done.

What are you rambling about?

I asked you how often get tickets because you wrote that you "usually call the court" . So how often do you get tickets?

The you wrote that if they won't let you pay with no points, you take other action. I asked how often that is?

Since you won't answer those and then blabbered about something else, I suspect you just made all of that up based off of stuff you have seen or heard.

Again, cops get paid to go to court, and are under subpoena. The old wives tale of "keep delaying court until the cop doesn't show up" is tired and seldom correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 12:45 PM   #15
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I just pay speeding tickets. BFD. My insurance company has never hit me with a surcharge. From 2017 until 2022 I was maxed out on points (and my state spots you 3 - LOL). My insurance agent told me directly the insurance company only cares about accidents their insured drivers cause. Points are a judgement the state places against your driving privileges. It probably varies from insurance company to company on the emphasis on point violations.
I am never doing anything egregious and rarely get tickets. However, I typically just pay them regardless of the insurance increase. For me to sit in court all day waiting for my turn on the chance I will be given a break when I wasn’t given a break to begin with costs me more than the fine and the temporary insurance increase, if it happens.

My last ticket was for not coming to a full and complete stop at a stop sign when I was making a right turn. It wasn’t as if I just drove without stopping. I did slow down, look to ensure it was clear etc and probably got to 0.5 mph but was slowly rolling. Cop was hiding in a driveway and got me. Fine with court costs was $55. Didn’t make sense to me to burn a day of vacation to plead my case.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16950.50
      03-10-2023, 01:13 PM   #16
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Temporary insurance increase...? I guess depends on where you are, in MA it's 6 years plus good companies don't want to deal with you, so well worth hiring a layer or spending 1 day in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I am never doing anything egregious and rarely get tickets. However, I typically just pay them regardless of the insurance increase. For me to sit in court all day waiting for my turn on the chance I will be given a break when I wasn’t given a break to begin with costs me more than the fine and the temporary insurance increase, if it happens.

My last ticket was for not coming to a full and complete stop at a stop sign when I was making a right turn. It wasn’t as if I just drove without stopping. I did slow down, look to ensure it was clear etc and probably got to 0.5 mph but was slowly rolling. Cop was hiding in a driveway and got me. Fine with court costs was $55. Didn’t make sense to me to burn a day of vacation to plead my case.
Appreciate 1
hooked188.50
      03-10-2023, 01:15 PM   #17
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
So how often do you get tickets?
Rarely, but I used to get stopped a lot.

Quote:
The you wrote that if they won't let you pay with no points, you take other action. I asked how often that is?
If I have to I'll do the driver improvement program, I think 3 times in my past.

Quote:
I suspect you just made all of that up based off of stuff you have seen or heard.
You don't know me, and it sounds like you're a person that jumps to conclusions, especially with your disrespectful word choices.

I've been stopped over 60 times in my 52 years, and have been successful in reducing tickets many different ways, it just depends on the circumstances and state. You, however, aren't adding anything to the conversation.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2023, 01:41 PM   #18
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Got caught in speed trap east of Charlotte in a small town at 17 over. Within 4 days a lawyer mailed me a letter offering to represent me for $50 in 2012. I thought, ok, something going on here so I'll try it. The only thing I had to do was mail him a check. Several weeks later I got something in the mail, don't remember the details other than he got me off with improper equipment. On a 2-year-old BMW ha. I had to mail him another check for the court costs. What a racket.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4545.50
      03-10-2023, 01:47 PM   #19
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Rarely, but I used to get stopped a lot.

If I have to I'll do the driver improvement program, I think 3 times in my past.

You don't know me, and it sounds like you're a person that jumps to conclusions, especially with your disrespectful word choices.

I've been stopped over 60 times in my 52 years, and have been successful in reducing tickets many different ways, it just depends on the circumstances and state. You, however, aren't adding anything to the conversation.
gotta love the ad hominem attacks lol
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:26 PM   #20
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking60 View Post
Got caught in speed trap east of Charlotte in a small town at 17 over. Within 4 days a lawyer mailed me a letter offering to represent me for $50 in 2012. I thought, ok, something going on here so I'll try it. The only thing I had to do was mail him a check. Several weeks later I got something in the mail, don't remember the details other than he got me off with improper equipment. On a 2-year-old BMW ha. I had to mail him another check for the court costs. What a racket.
The last ticket I got was for "exhibition driving." I was sideways out of an intersection because of all the dirt tire tracks on the roadway. I showed the PA the pictures and he reduced it to an "exhaust malfunction" without blinking an eye. It's all about the money. The thing that surprised me was that he had part of my record there, citing the last time they "fixed" a ticket for me (the ticket charge names were obvious). These charges weren't on my permanent record because I had it run the next day, but he could see them.

It's all a scam, but I'm always speeding and rarely get caught, so who am I to complain?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:28 PM   #21
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Temporary insurance increase...? I guess depends on where you are, in MA it's 6 years plus good companies don't want to deal with you, so well worth hiring a layer or spending 1 day in court.
I don’t know how it can be permanent if the points are only on your record a max of 36 months for most infractions. If that’s how your insurance company is, I’d shop around as soon as the points fall off. I’m usually maxed out on good driver points so don’t have bad feelings if I have 3 taken off once every 5-10 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #22
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Didn't realize getting pulled over often is a flex for some people. That's pretty damn ghetto.
Appreciate 0