BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

10-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Are Tourbillon Prices Justifiable?

If you have a sizable amount of expendable cash, would you consider owning a tourbillon?

Are there so much skill and mechanical linkages involved that could justify the price or is it pure hype?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
If you have a sizable amount of expendable cash, would you consider owning a tourbillon?

Are there so much skill and mechanical linkages involved that could justify the price or is it pure hype?
That could be said for many things.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
uhh fuck no
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I’m guessing decent tourbillions start around $45,000 and vaguely recall some Russian(?) manufacturer selling a sub $10,000 tourbillion, but not sure what the shortcuts were.
I don’t see it. $60,000 for a toutbillion is not worth it as I think the people who pay crazy prices for a Daytona worn by a celebrity is stupid.

Though a yellow gold watch with display back and top notch perlage and incabloc, top quality spring, high end jewel bearings - thinking of a 37mm Patek Calatrava is around $23,000 and I think that’s worthwhile.
Appreciate 1
GenXer1351.00
      10-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
Murf993
Major
Rep

So the OP said "If you have a sizable amount of expendable cash, would you consider owning a tourbillon?"

So really the premise is if money was no object. Then really it's about quality and exclusivities isn't it. In which case the sky becomes the limit, Porsche Singer becomes entry level, Patek watches, super yachts and summer homes on Lake Coumo. It come's down to what floats your boat. Since most of us here are simple mortals with decent net worths who appreciate a BMW vs a Kia (not to slag Kia). We are all, after all talking about disposable income regardless if that's $20 or $2 million or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So the OP said "If you have a sizable amount of expendable cash, would you consider owning a tourbillon?"

So really the premise is if money was no object. Then really it's about quality and exclusivities isn't it. In which case the sky becomes the limit, Porsche Singer becomes entry level, Patek watches, super yachts and summer homes on Lake Coumo. It come's down to what floats your boat. Since most of us here are simple mortals with decent net worths who appreciate a BMW vs a Kia (not to slag Kia). We are all, after all talking about disposable income regardless if that's $20 or $2 million or whatever.
There are a lot of watch collectors that have $60,000 + worth of watches that I'm curious if a tourbillion is the complication that really excites them.
Agree with everything you said, but it is interesting if one tourbillion is more desirable than lets say 3 or 4 Rolex.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I've seen tourbillons for $500,- on sale

Even I can bring up that kind of sizable amount of expendable cash
(not that it was in a watch I'd ever wear....)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-14-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
dynamite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 - 6MT

For the same price or less of a tourbillion i would go for AP 15202 or Patek 5712.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
There are a lot of watch collectors that have $60,000 + worth of watches that I'm curious if a tourbillion is the complication that really excites them.
Agree with everything you said, but it is interesting if one tourbillion is more desirable than lets say 3 or 4 Rolex.
Again, it's what floats your boat. I like what I like, and you like what you like. For example. I have a 50 year old Donzi and a 50 year old Trojan boat, I have a vintage Rolex Sea Dweller and a vintage Omega Speedy....I like stuff that is old and unique and isn't cookie cutter. If money was no object I might buy a Tourbillion, or a 356 Outlaw.....isn't it great we live in counties with capitalist free markets where we can buy what we want.....fuck ya.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:05 AM   #10
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Tag Heuer introduced a tourbillon less than $20K as well. I like to see what Roger Dubuis does in their torubillon watches, I can see something mechanical alive running and rotating on the dial of the watch . That's freaking awesome
However, I always prefer a chronograph over tourbillon no matter what
      10-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post

Not that I could ever afford a tourbillon or a Porsche Singer but as a common folk, I would enjoy a similarly priced Ferrari over the Singer. I guess my taste isn't refined enough to appreciate the subtleties of such an item. I would prefer a vintage 911 (kept completely original) than a retro modified hand built vintage 911 that costs more than most houses.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #12
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

if you have the money and appreciate horology, definitely.

there are plenty of "affordable" swiss tourbillons out there as well. For example the Tag Tourby can be had for 10-15k.

however, if you are buying it to flex, youll be disappointed. Most people wont know what it is, or that they are significantly more expensive and intricate than a common rolex/ap/patek.

Myself, i like the tourbillon function and appreciate it for what it is, but cant bring myself to drop that kind of money on a big name swiss one, so I built my own using a chinese tourbillon movement, meteorite dial and a generic case i had laying around.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 4
GenXer1351.00
overcoil3068.50
CDirks135.00
      11-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Myself, i like the tourbillon function and appreciate it for what it is, but cant bring myself to drop that kind of money on a big name swiss one, so I built my own using a chinese tourbillon movement, meteorite dial and a generic case i had laying around.

How does that movement perform on a timegrapher?
Is there a lot of positional error/deviation? Or is it good?
Is that a sea-gull movement? (st8000 I believe?)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-04-2020 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #14
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
How does that movement perform on a timegrapher?
Is there a lot of positional error/deviation? Or is it good?
Is that a sea-gull movement? (st8000 I believe?)
its a hangzhou 32 or 33 series. cant remember exactly

ive bought a handful of these movements for watches ive made. 3 required a good cleaning/adjustment to run right, 1 was decent, and 1 required adjustment.

so far though, after cleaning and adjusting, they all run solid. oldest one i did is ~2 years old at this point.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
GuidoK10473.00