F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Match UP 7BMW Installed - thank you
proTUNING Freaks

07-09-2022, 10:56 AM   #23
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Yep, but even that was too much for spousal approval after buying an amp and earthquakes last year.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 09:45 PM   #24
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

can you recommend an equivalent or better substitute for the earthquake sound at lower or if more, slightly more price point?

how about groundzero sub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Great to hear! Congrats on everything working out.

Earthquake Sound SWS-8Xi 8-inch Shallow Woofer System Under-the-Seat Subwoofer, 2-Ohm (Single) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003R5NS9U...TEMC0R5DT2CN9K

SPACER RINGS- sold by the pair
Might be able to get these quicker direct from Earthquake Sound

Earthquake Sound R8SWS Installation Ring Adapter for Earthquake SWS Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G2MKGOU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This is an excellent video to watch for the underseat subwoofer installation beginning at 14:15 of the video. The best way to wire them up is to pull out the rectangular wire connector from the stock underseat subwoofer. Then clip the wires with an inch or two of wire sticking out of the connector. Save the stock connectors in case you ever want to revert the car back to the stock underseat subs.

Then strip the ends of the two wires on the car's wiring harness and insert them into the spring connectors on the Earthquake spacer rings. I don't recall the wire colors but German cars typically use brown as the negative. In the US, black usually indicates negative. Make sure to connect the wires from the spacer ring itself under the sub. The connections on the sub are marked (+) which goes to the red terminal and (-) which goes to the black terminal.

Often the car's carpeting needs to be trimmed a bit so it doesn't extend over the edge of the Earthquake subwoofer. I used heavy duty kitchen shears. See photo.

Hope this helps!

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 10:37 PM   #25
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The Ground Zero is no better than OEM. The Earthquake is pretty much in a class by itself.
Even the $500 Focal ISUB BMW 2 can't touch it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 04:24 AM   #26
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

for match up 7 bmw installation, do I need to disconnect the car battery first? or just plug and play? when i installed my EVO Head unit, i didn't disconnect my battery, just straight unplug the HU quadlock harness, and it was okay.

Do i need to do all of these steps (removing the rear plastic cover, 12V outlet, anchor, and trunk hinge cover) just to access the amp? if so, that's a pain in the ass if i need to tune the amp.

any tips on how to run the USB cable for easy tuning access? Thanks.

Last edited by dangerus_car; 07-10-2022 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 04:48 AM   #27
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Nope. pNP.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 08:50 AM   #28
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sportsline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
for match up 7 bmw installation, do I need to disconnect the car battery first?
You do not need to disconnect the battery for the install.

Quote:
Do i need to do all of these steps (removing the rear plastic cover, 12V outlet, anchor, and trunk hinge cover) just to access the amp? if so, that's a pain in the ass if i need to tune the amp.
You only need those steps to install the amp, not each time you need to tune the amp.

Quote:
any tips on how to run the USB cable for easy tuning access? Thanks.
Leave the USB cable that comes with the amp plugged in. You will be able to access the USB cable whenever you need to tune the amp. Get a long USB cable extension and you will be able to tune the amp from the driver's seat.

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-AIN...dp/B09HB2P8RX/
Appreciate 1
johnung4546.50
      07-10-2022, 09:22 AM   #29
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat10 View Post
Leave the USB cable that comes with the amp plugged in. You will be able to access the USB cable whenever you need to tune the amp. Get a long USB cable extension and you will be able to tune the amp from the driver's seat.

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-AIN...dp/B09HB2P8RX/
thank you for your quick response. yes, i understand that i would leave the usb cable plugged in, but where do you place the female usb tail end from the amp? inside the trunk? or somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 01:38 PM   #30
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thank you for your quick response. yes, i understand that i would leave the usb cable plugged in, but where do you place the female usb tail end from the amp? inside the trunk? or somewhere else?
The USB cable will be hidden away under the plastic cover in the left side of your trunk.

When you want to tune the amp, just remove the plastic cover, you will see your USB cable right under it, pull the USB cable, attach your USB extension (optional), attach to your laptop, and tune the amp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
johnung4546.50
      07-10-2022, 03:16 PM   #31
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The USB cable will be hidden away under the plastic cover in the left side of your trunk.

When you want to tune the amp, just remove the plastic cover, you will see your USB cable right under it, pull the USB cable, attach your USB extension (optional), attach to your laptop, and tune the amp.

Ah okay. I thought you run the usb end all the way to the front along with the extension. I was thinking this way earlier but wasn’t sure.

How about the uc3 remote? How did you run the wire all the way to front? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 05:25 PM   #32
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes, you need the wire for the URC.3 to go all the way to the front.

Watch the steps in this video from 8:25 to 10:45 to give you the steps on how to do it.

The video is for installation of a backup camera and it's running wires on the passenger side instead of the driver side, but the idea and steps are exactly the same if you want to run the USB or URC.3 wire all the way to the driver. Just do the steps on the driver's side.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 08:28 PM   #33
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

i just installed the amp, and while reading the manual, the #1 port called 'auto remote' comes as ON from factory.

in the manual, it says the following

The feature should be deactivated (Auto Remote = off) if the UP 7BMW replaces the amplifier of the BMW HiFi sound system (676) or if there are e.g. disturbing
noises while switching on / off the amplifier.

well, we buy the 7BMW to replaces the amp, then why does it come from factory turned ON?

anyone running their wireless control yet?

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/b...s/wifi-control
Attached Images

Last edited by dangerus_car; 07-11-2022 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #34
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

in the manual, it says the following

The feature should be deactivated (Auto Remote = off) if the UP 7BMW replaces the amplifier of the BMW HiFi sound system (676) or if there are e.g. disturbing
noises while switching on / off the amplifier.
Wow, I don't remember reading that, but clearly the manual is wrong. I have an electronic version of the manual, and it looks like they fixed the mistake in the version I have ... I don't know where I downloaded it from.

But the manual posted on their site also has the same mistake you point out ... very odd.

You should leave Auto Remote "ON"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 07:59 PM   #35
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Wow, I don't remember reading that, but clearly the manual is wrong. I have an electronic version of the manual, and it looks like they fixed the mistake in the version I have ... I don't know where I downloaded it from.

But the manual posted on their site also has the same mistake you point out ... very odd.

You should leave Auto Remote "ON"
hi wildcat10, the exceprt that i copy and paste comes directly from their PDF online, not from scanning...

direct link of their PDF

it seems like from the title of the PDF, this manual is updated on 25 sept 2018, i wonder if yours is an earlier version or later version as it seems the web version adds the OFF if replacing sentences.

Also the printed manual that comes with the amp is exactly the same as the website.

As of now, i m leaving it OFF due to evidence I found and also I am going to refer to the manual they have on the website as it's clearly they added this line compare to the manual you have.

But I am also reaching out to them to clarify on this issue.

i m not sure now whether it's ON or OFF. what's the purpose of this auto remote?

also i take a look at one of the youtube, when this guy unboxing the amp, it clearly comes in OFF mode.

see attachment and see the youtube at 10:20 mark when he was unboxing it

one more evidence, take a look at the manual page 20, the illustration has the auto remote in OFF position

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by dangerus_car; 07-11-2022 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 10:10 PM   #36
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

it's fascinating that Audiotec Fischer has gone back-and-forth on this setting, based on their manuals, pictures, videos, how they ship the product.

For example, in the PDF manual on the site, the one you sent the link to, you can see the picture below on page 16: it's set to 'ON'.

My printed manual is exactly like yours. The PDF they have on the site is exactly as you describe. You are correct that based on the printed manual and the PDF currently on the site, it should be 'OFF'.

However, at some point I downloaded a clearly different version of the PDF, which I'm also attaching. And based on their description of the functionality, it should be 'ON'

I'm stumped. Please let me know what you find out from Audiotec Fischer.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Audiotec_Fischer-Match_UP-7DSP-user-manual.pdf (1.39 MB, 42 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 10:28 PM   #37
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I guess I should have asked you: are you using the "REM" (#8 on the picture above) in order to turn on the amp?

If you are using "REM" to turn on the amp, then your Auto Remote should be "off". If you are not using "REM", then Auto Remote should be "ON"
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 01:37 AM   #38
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I guess I should have asked you: are you using the "REM" (#8 on the picture above) in order to turn on the amp?

If you are using "REM" to turn on the amp, then your Auto Remote should be "off". If you are not using "REM", then Auto Remote should be "ON"
hi wildcat10, i realized that the manual you download is for Match Up 7 DSP, the one I download from the site is MatchUp 7 BMW, clear difference between DSP and BMW even though it's the same amp, but different manual.

This is the direct link for the MatchUp 7 DSP

Based on that manual, this is the text verbatim and it's exactly the same words as your manual.

1 Auto Remote
The UP 7DSP will be turned on automatically if the highlevel inputs of the System Connector 1 are used or if a signal is applied to the remote input
(REM) terminal.
The Auto Remote switch allows to activate / deactivate the automatic turn-on
feature of the highlevel inputs of the System Connector 1. The feature should be deactivated (Auto Remote = off) if there are e.g. disturbing noises while switching on / off the amplifier.
Note: The automatic turn-on feature is activated ex works (Auto Remote = on). If the automatic turn-on function is deactivated it is mandatory to use the remote input (REM) to power up the amplifier! The high level signal will be ignored in this case.

so i think it's safe to say that auto remote should be OFF for Match Up 7 BMW

According to online youtube (as seen in my previous post) and tutorial, i just use the harness provided, and that's it. I don't have to use the power, etc.

do you use the REM? I think REM is used if you are using the match up 7 as a separate amp to power something else?

I just installed the amp with auto remote OFF and I load the factory tune setting for BMW limousine. Damn, I can already hear some improvement, more low end.

These plug is used only when you are connecting an external amp in addition to Match Up 7 BMW. Did you use any of these two plugs? by the way, i only received three screws. and these, do you receive the same thing as mine?
Attached Images

Last edited by dangerus_car; 07-12-2022 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 06:27 AM   #39
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did not use REM, just the OEM harness.

I'm pretty sure i received 4 screws, one for each corner, not just 3. Look at your mounting plate and see how many spots for the screws.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #40
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I did not use REM, just the OEM harness.

I'm pretty sure i received 4 screws, one for each corner, not just 3. Look at your mounting plate and see how many spots for the screws.
yeah, that's ok, i think 3 out of 4 should hold the amp well.

so are you going to turn off the Auto remote now that everything is clear?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 08:18 AM   #41
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hi wildcat10, i realized that the manual you download is for Match Up 7 DSP, the one I download from the site is MatchUp 7 BMW, clear difference between DSP and BMW even though it's the same amp, but different manual.
You're right! Thank you for clarifying.

Quote:
According to online youtube (as seen in my previous post) and tutorial, i just use the harness provided, and that's it. I don't have to use the power, etc.
I do the same.

Quote:
do you use the REM? I think REM is used if you are using the match up 7 as a separate amp to power something else?
Don't confuse "REM" with "Remote Out"
  • REM is used to send a signal (typically coming from your head unit) into your Match amp in order to to turn on your Match amplifier. This #8 in the diagram in the manual.
  • Remote Out is for your Match amplifier to send a signal into an external amplifier, in case you have more than one amplifier, so your external amplifier can turn on at the same time you turn on your Match amp. This is #15 in the diagram in the manual.

If you use the OEM harness, and you don't have a second amp, you shouldn't need to use either one of those.

Quote:
These plug is used only when you are connecting an external amp in addition to Match Up 7 BMW. Did you use any of these two plugs? by the way, i only received three screws. and these, do you receive the same thing as mine?
I didn't use any of those two plugs, I am using the OEM harness only.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 09:12 AM   #42
wildcat10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Summarizing for future readers of this thread.

The Match UP 7BMW needs a signal in order to turn on. There are 3 different ways it can receive this signal:
  1. Detect highlevel inputs from speakers. Yellow highlight in the diagram below.
  2. Detect a signal in the REM (remote input) input. Pink highlight in the diagram below.
  3. Detect a signal in the pin #25 of the System Connector 2. Green highlight in the diagram below.

The Auto Remote switch controls which of these 3 options is used:
  • If Auto Remote is ON, the amp will turn on by detecting speaker highlevel input (yellow)
  • If Auto Remote is OFF, the amp will turn on by using either REM or a signal from Pin #25 (pink or green)

If you are replacing your HiFi amp (676) and using the OEM harness + the Match up 7BMW harness, the pin 25 will carry the turn on signal, so you can leave Auto Remote to OFF.
Attached Images

Last edited by wildcat10; 07-12-2022 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
FastFrog143.50
      07-12-2022, 11:31 AM   #43
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Summarizing for future readers of this thread.

The Match UP 7BMW needs a signal in order to turn on. There are 3 different ways it can receive this signal:
  1. Detect highlevel inputs from speakers. Yellow highlight in the diagram below.
  2. Detect a signal in the REM (remote input) input. Pink highlight in the diagram below.
  3. Detect a signal in the pin #25 of the System Connector 2. Green highlight in the diagram below.

The Auto Remote switch controls which of these 3 options is used:
  • If Auto Remote is ON, the amp will turn on by detecting speaker highlevel input (yellow)
  • If Auto Remote is OFF, the amp will turn on by using either REM or a signal from Pin #25 (pink or green)

If you are replacing your HiFi amp (676) and using the OEM harness + the Match up 7BMW harness, the pin 25 will carry the turn on signal, so you can leave Auto Remote to OFF.
Just to add to this discussion:

If for some reason, it is desirable for you to add a wire connection to trigger an amplifier on/off, there is a very easy way to do so in the F3x trunk.

Just pull up the floor panel in the trunk to expose the fuse block mounted in the floor. Fuse #146 works perfectly with the ignition to turn an amplifier on/off. See attached photos.

Almost any auto parts store will have a Mini-Sized Add-a-Circuit and Mini-Sized plug-in fuses. You only need a 1A or 2A Mini fuse. You also need maybe a 12 foot length of copper stranded wire (not solid copper wire). Technically it only needs a really thin 20-22gauge wire but I get 18 gauge because it's just easier to work with. Auto parts stores sell it but the least expensive place that I've found is a Lowe's hardware store. Also pick up some heat shrink splice connects as in the photo (from Walmart)

Installation is simple. Please refer to photos.

1) Use the fuse puller located in the block to pull out the 5A fuse from Fuse Location #146.
2) Plug that 5A fuse into the standard location in the Mini Add-a-Circuit.
3) Plug the 1A or 2A Mini fuse that you bought into the slot in the Mini Add-a-Circuit that feeds it's built-in wire.
4) Take one of the heat shrink splice connects. Crimp the wire from the Mini Add-a-Circuit into one end, and strip and place the end of the 18 gauge wire into the other end of the splice connect. Use a crimping tool or a pair of pliers.
5) Use a lighter flame, heat gun or hair dryer to shrink the tubing ends around the wires.
6) Make sure that the ignition is OFF. Plug the Mini Add-a-Circuit into Fuse Location #146.
7) Run the 18g wire from the fuse block to your amplifier location. Run around the perimeter of the trunk rather than across the trunk floor to avoid any future stress/weight being placed on the wire. Secure with duct tape or tie-wraps.
8) Set the amplifier to NOT auto-detect. Instead set the amplifier to remotely detect ignition on/off through whichever wire port it uses for this function.
9) Cut, strip and connect the end of the 18 gauge wire to that port on the amplifier.
10) Turn on the car ignition to test whether it triggers the amplifier to turn ON.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-12-2022, 01:11 PM   #44
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep

I notice that to install earthquake, you need to splice wire from the BMW harness.

is there a way not to splice wire and instead use a pin at the end of the harness to extend the wires? for example if the harness is female, then use a male pin at the BMW harness to extend the wires.
Appreciate 0