BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

04-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
isho21
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d 2007

Simple mods and beginner questions

Hey everyone, new to 5post and also a first-time BMW owner. Just bought a 2007 530d in black. There's a couple of little things that I'd like to change on it that will give it a more aggressive look:

- black kidney grills which I think will look awesome on a black car
- rear spoiler (nothing big or ostentatious)
- not sure what these are called, but the chrome pieces around the windows on the doors, i've seen some M5s that have it in black and loved the look

So, please forgive the newbie question, but does BMW actually make these accesories? Or do you have to buy them from a custom shop? If BMW makes them, I'd like to get them from them. For some reason I feel like 3 or 4 years down the line when I want to sell the car, it would probably be easier to sell if the mods were from BMW (i.e. not too customized but more mainstream bmw)? Or am I totally off base?

And if BMW doesn't sell them, can anyone recommend some shops that can sell me the pieces? I will have them shipped overseas as I live in El Salvador. Thanks for any recommendations...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
isho21
Rep

I guess the bmw-parts question is mostly aimed at the spoiler. The kidney grill and window frames I don't think will make any difference, so for those, the question is, where do you recommend I get them from.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
etnav382
Rep
Drives: 06 550i

Do you want the M5 spoiler or an aftermarket one? The M5 spoiler, the grills and the dark trim you saw on a M5 around the windows (shadowline trim) can all be gotten OEM. Also go to 5series.net, if you haven't already, it has a way more active forum for our cars. Just be careful you don't get the mod bug. Its a very expensive hobby.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Rctmthouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by isho21 View Post
Hey everyone, new to 5post and also a first-time BMW owner. Just bought a 2007 530d in black. There's a couple of little things that I'd like to change on it that will give it a more aggressive look:

- black kidney grills which I think will look awesome on a black car
- rear spoiler (nothing big or ostentatious)
- not sure what these are called, but the chrome pieces around the windows on the doors, i've seen some M5s that have it in black and loved the look

So, please forgive the newbie question, but does BMW actually make these accesories? Or do you have to buy them from a custom shop? If BMW makes them, I'd like to get them from them. For some reason I feel like 3 or 4 years down the line when I want to sell the car, it would probably be easier to sell if the mods were from BMW (i.e. not too customized but more mainstream bmw)? Or am I totally off base?

And if BMW doesn't sell them, can anyone recommend some shops that can sell me the pieces? I will have them shipped overseas as I live in El Salvador. Thanks for any recommendations...
black kidney-you can order to many vendors but it seems like lots of people ordered it through Trinity. Don't know how it will work out since you're not in the US. AS for me, I took out my grill and spray painted glossy black with those high heat spray paint. Takes a little bit longer to sand the chrome grill but I like the result. Not a big fan of the matte black grill since my car is jet black so I like it to blend in more

rear spoiler- not a big fan of the spoiler so have no opinion but I'm sure lots more people can chime in

shadow line trim- you can order the black one and change it. There is a DIY at the 5 series forum on this topic.

As one of the previous poster posted, e60.net is a very active forum for the E60 and most of us here are members there also.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
etnav382
Rep
Drives: 06 550i

Rctmthouse, I think you are one of the few people that I've seen post about the changing the grills and think it looks stupid to have matte on a black car. I don't feel like I'm alone anymore lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
isho21
Rep

Awesome info, thanks to both of you for the pointers. I'm heading over to 5series.net now.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
isho21
Rep

Arghhhhhh mine is jet black and i was thinking matte.... :s
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Rctmthouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnav382 View Post
Rctmthouse, I think you are one of the few people that I've seen post about the changing the grills and think it looks stupid to have matte on a black car. I don't feel like I'm alone anymore lol.
I do like the black grill since it does look more aggressive especially when you have either the Mtec or M5 bumper but not a big fan of the matte black though. I bought an extra set of chrome grill and painted glossy black that way I can change it back and forth just to have a different look once in awhile.

Few people at the 5 series forum do share the same feeling about the matte black grill though so we are not alone.
Appreciate 0