BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Tesla Model 3

Thoughts?

A new electric model from Tesla which is set to "challenge the BMW 3 series"
It is coming in 2017 and will be priced around $35,000 USD.

Tesla’s confirmation came in a Tweet late Tuesday night, responding to to an exclusive article by Auto Express magazine, which wrote:

“Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk has exclusively revealed to Auto Express plans for a new electric BMW 3 Series rival, including its name – Tesla Model III. There were rumours that a new smaller Tesla was to be called Model E, but in one of his most candid interviews yet, Musk revealed why he had to have a rethink on the name. “We had the model S for sedan and X for crossover SUV, then a friend asked what we were going to call the third car,” Musk told us. “So I said we had the model S and X, we might as well have the E.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I hope that's just a render or chop because it looks virtually identical to a model S. I hope they differentiate the models a little better than the current crop of Germans.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 8J TTRS

It won't be $35k and it won't be ready by 2017.

I'm listening though
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkexige View Post
It won't be $35k and it won't be ready by 2017.
True and true.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

i may consider picking one up for 35k.... if all the tech is still available in it
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Full electric going up against the 3-Series, C-Class, A4, ATS and IS? Yeah, likely not going to happen. People are throwing the "3-Series competitor" around too much lately.

The Model S is a great car for what it is but it's hardly a competitor to any petrol car. If you want to buy one over a similar priced petrol car, great but no one is going to put it through any serious comparisons (I don't want to see that drag race between the Model S and the M5...).

I do appreciate Tesla's idea of really pushing electric technology and while it may be the future, I just can't say it's a competitor to any car that isn't electric today.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I hope that's just a render or chop because it looks virtually identical to a model S. I hope they differentiate the models a little better than the current crop of Germans.
It look similar but is allegedly 20% smaller than the "S". But, yes the photos in the OP are renderings.

Also, supposedly gets around 200 miles per charge.

We all know how R&D and production for these thing can go but hopefully it'll stick around the date/price tag currently esitmated.

Musk is supposed to have built a gigafactory battery plant to develop the batteries which will hopefully keep the pricetag sub $40K (although the cost of building the plant is astronomical)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Full electric going up against the 3-Series, C-Class, A4, ATS and IS? Yeah, likely not going to happen. People are throwing the "3-Series competitor" around too much lately.

The Model S is a great car for what it is but it's hardly a competitor to any petrol car. If you want to buy one over a similar priced petrol car, great but no one is going to put it through any serious comparisons (I don't want to see that drag race between the Model S and the M5...).

I do appreciate Tesla's idea of really pushing electric technology and while it may be the future, I just can't say it's a competitor to any car that isn't electric today.
Maybe not NOW. But I am confident in saying that electric tech is becoming more and more prevalent in the automotive/motorsports industry. This is making it cheaper (cost to the end user keeps going down) and the competition between companies is pushing the tech forward by leaps and bounds.

By the time this car comes out it will be positioned at a better place and time to compete with others in its class. So we're talking closer to 2020
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

I'm curious why you think it can't be compared to any petrol car? I mean i guess if you think about it, the comparison would be out of the window if you compare a car by acceleration if you get 100% from an electric engine from the start, and basically the limited range from an electric engine... other than that, there's tons of things to compare - luxury, convenience features, drive ability, handling, braking, service etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

For35k I will give it a long, serious look for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

How about Model 3 vs i3?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #12
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Maybe not NOW. But I am confident in saying that electric tech is becoming more and more prevalent in the automotive/motorsports industry. This is making it cheaper (cost to the end user keeps going down) and the competition between companies is pushing the tech forward by leaps and bounds.

By the time this car comes out it will be positioned at a better place and time to compete with others in its class. So we're talking closer to 2020
I'm fully behind Tesla and what they want to do with the electric car but as it stands today or even in 2017, I don't see the tech improving that much and that quick. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. I fully agree with you that cars like the Model S and III are made to help with future costs like the i8/i3 is with carbon fiber, but I just can't label it a serious competitor because it isn't a total package with range being the biggest factor (avg. 220 miles/300KM in the real world?)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
How exactly do they intend to make a 20% smaller version of a car 50% cheaper. There really isn't much that they could cut out of the car to make it fit that price point.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Economy of scale, already amortized R&D, chain production, etc. And also there is a lot of margin in a 80k car. Some can be squeezed out to favor volume sale.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Economy of scale, already amortized R&D, chain production, etc. And also there is a lot of margin in a 80k car. Some can be squeezed out to favor volume sale.
This. Heavily market the car and sell it against competitors so folks will buy into it. Helps finance the R&D and production and allows for mass production. As output increases to mass production (the variable cost) it will lower the cost per unit and the overall total cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #16
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This. Heavily market the car and sell it against competitors so folks will buy into it. Helps finance the R&D and production and allows for mass production. As output increases to mass production (the variable cost) it will lower the cost per unit and the overall total cost.
In theory this is true but then there's market and other external factors you consider. If it were a perfect world, Audi's would be cheaper than what they are with the amount of R&D and part sharing done throughout VAG.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You're both assuming that manufacturers are looking to maximize units sold, not profits. Audi's probably could be cheaper, but they can sell them for more, so they do.

Also, see $50k four cylinder 3ers.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
In theory this is true but then there's market and other external factors you consider. If it were a perfect world, Audi's would be cheaper than what they are with the amount of R&D and part sharing done throughout VAG.
True. Theory versus real world appliation do not always align.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You're both assuming that manufacturers are looking to maximize units sold, not profits. Audi's probably could be cheaper, but they can sell them for more, so they do.

Also, see $50k four cylinder 3ers.
True for Audi. If they can sell it for a higher price and people will buy them, why not?
For Tesla though, I think maximizing units sold, even as a loss leader, is a viable strategy for an emerging technology...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #19
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For Tesla though, I think maximizing units sold, even as a loss leader, is a viable strategy for an emerging technology...
For consumers, it's a great idea but I'm not too sure shareholders will be happy (another external factor) which is why I don't think $35,000 is realistic unless something happens within the next 3 years
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I'd be happy to test that. Hell, there's no way if buy a 3er over a Tesla with 250+ mile range for sub $50k.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #21
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I'd be happy to test that. Hell, there's no way if buy a 3er over a Tesla with 250+ mile range for sub $50k.
This. If the Model III undercut a decently equipped 3er by a fair amount, I would go tesla but if we're talking similar price point, I don't see any value in picking an all electric over a traditional petrol car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #22
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

On paper it sounds good, and i am sure it will come out good like free hot potatos...

But at this point we are all speculating, need more details...

This is going to hurt the sport sedan segment so bad...
Appreciate 0