BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Today, 01:12 PM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Michelin Pilot AS4's, doable for winter if you can pick your battles??

Hey all

looking for opinions experiences on whether the AS4's can cut it for the winter if you don't have to commute.

would be going on a mid engine Rwd car

don't have a commute and don't really have to drive if conditions aren't favourable.

but at the same time would want to feel free enough that if they are calling for anything less than 2 inches of snow I would feel comfortable going out.

I know a proper dedicated set of winter tires and rims would be better but in my experience even those don't get you full confidence in a RWD powerful car in the winter and I still avoided going out in anything above 2 inches of snow.

so I am debating, can I get by on the AS4's?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:25 PM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Doable, yes. Skip the crappy weather until plows come around.

It's those random times you're stuck on a steep hill at a red light and the snow has been coming down wet and heavy, you'll wish otherwise tho.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:40 PM   #3
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
There's a big difference between "2 inches of snow" and "snowed but plowed clean"

Snowed but plowed clean, you're probably fine. 2 inches of snow on the ground, you're probably stuck inside.
Appreciate 1
baege1387.50
      Today, 01:43 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

AS4 are not snow rated all seasons. Some all seasons have the snowflake designation. On an AWD car, you would be fine — the last 2 winters in NH, I have run AS4 on my F90 M5. I have winters, summers and all seasons all on rims for the car and have not bothered to put the snows on the last 2 years.

On all the RWD cars I have run in the winter in NH, I have used snow tires. Usually I put snows on the stock wheels and buy lighter and wider aftermarket wheels for summer use or I buy a used set of stock wheels for winter use, sometimes going down 1” in diameter if smaller will clear the brakes.
Appreciate 1
baege1387.50
      Today, 03:00 PM   #5
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
AS4 are not snow rated all seasons. Some all seasons have the snowflake designation. On an AWD car, you would be fine — the last 2 winters in NH, I have run AS4 on my F90 M5. I have winters, summers and all seasons all on rims for the car and have not bothered to put the snows on the last 2 years.

On all the RWD cars I have run in the winter in NH, I have used snow tires. Usually I put snows on the stock wheels and buy lighter and wider aftermarket wheels for summer use or I buy a used set of stock wheels for winter use, sometimes going down 1” in diameter if smaller will clear the brakes.
doesn't seem to be anything better than the AS4 in the snow in the applicable sizes which include a 305/30R20 rear

based on this review:

the michelins seem to be the best...
Appreciate 0