BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-06-2021, 12:35 AM   #23
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingChicane View Post
Where's the streaming service menu for streaming services? With all the streaming available it's not going to be long before we get a consolidator service with a menu ala DirecTV. And here we go all over again......
Apple TV manages all the services pretty effectively.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00
      01-06-2021, 05:19 AM   #24
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I do like the interface and being able to pause live tv but my box is old and slow. I use the app more which helps. I had to buy an extra box to allow it to connect to the internet.
You can pause Live TV on YouTube TV too. Not sure about other streaming services.
      01-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #25
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I've got Comcast and this is the first I've heard of caps on streaming. Anyone know how I can check to see what my monthly usage actually is?

EDIT - Found it. I'm in the clear for now. Averaging 500 to 600 gigs per month. 1/2 the allocation.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 01-06-2021 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #26
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
I do like the interface and being able to pause live tv but my box is old and slow. I use the app more which helps. I had to buy an extra box to allow it to connect to the internet.
You can pause Live TV on YouTube TV too. Not sure about other streaming services.
Yeah that's true. And being able to download for offline viewing like YouTube. DVR generally only lets you watch at home but I think some newer DVR let you watch on your mobile device but not sure if you have to be on the same WiFi or from anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 08:38 AM   #27
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I've got Comcast and this is the first I've heard of caps on streaming. Anyone know how I can check to see what my monthly usage actually is?
Yeah net neutrality is out the window. I think with spectrum it's unlimited.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      01-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #28
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
It's damn near a monopoly. My only option for internet is Xfinity for about $100 a month for 25 Mbps, or Centurylink at 1.5 Mbps. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #29
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Unless your ISP does some $hithead move and institute a data cap on your service. Comcast just did this to all their customers. 1.2TB monthly cap. You go over after a single month forgiveness, you're looking at paying $10 per every 50GB you go over. If you want to get out of the cap, pay up again to the tune of $30 a month to have unlimited on top of what you're already paying for your monthly fees.
I will have to take this into consideration. I know Comcast upgrade my bandwidth from 30Mbits to 120Mbits this past summer so that was nice surprise. I remember when Comcast had caps at 30G at one point, then that go tossed and they never enforced it. I think it was due to all the Network Neutrality law suits as well as they got in trouble for capping Netflix and before that VoIP. I know my current Comcast internet usage has been around 300G, with a wife who works from home and does lots of online meeting and the little bit of streaming we do with Netflix and Prime.

I originally set up DirectV, Comcast Internet, and Ooma Phone and this was cheaper then any tripple play package from Comcast or Verizon. Today my Directv and Comcast Bill is more than any package offer by comcast or verizon. I did not switch since I was waiting to see how the stream service wars played out. I can cut my bill by 50% going to Fubo, and Comcast and adding Discovery Plus. I still keep my Ooma service since it only cost $3.95 a month of landline service (keep it for all the telemarketer calls, never give anyone my cell phone number)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #30
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Dont really see it being worthwhile i have most of the others already(only pay for prime) and i hardly use them. Hell apple TV ive only used 2-3 times. I tend to find myself watching youtube more than any streaming service.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #31
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Comcast has had datacaps since 2012, they recently raised the cap to 1.2TB from 1TB. it has nothing to do with net neutrality.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #32
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's damn near a monopoly. My only option for internet is Xfinity for about $100 a month for 25 Mbps, or Centurylink at 1.5 Mbps. That's it.
I have Comcast 1GB for $90/mo. 1 TB / mo. data limit (I guess 1.2 TB now per above). Need to call them to haggle every year though.
      01-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #33
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
We have YouTubeTV and DirecTV right now. Planning on dropping DTV at some point. YouTubeTV has pretty much all the channels/shows we watch.

The downside is the damn commercials they make you watch for some on-demand content.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #34
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
We have YouTubeTV and DirecTV right now. Planning on dropping DTV at some point. YouTubeTV has pretty much all the channels/shows we watch.

The downside is the damn commercials they make you watch for some on-demand content.
You need to build up a library of recorded shows you can watch off the "DVR" which allows you to FF through commercials. Some DirecTV on demand also forced us to watch commercials so always better to work off DVR when possible. (I had both for a while too - it was tough cutting that cord until I actually did it.)
      01-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #35
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Comcast has had datacaps since 2012, they recently raised the cap to 1.2TB from 1TB. it has nothing to do with net neutrality.
They had a data cap for a while but didn't enforce it for many of their markets as long as you had the higher service tiers. Now this had gone out the window where they've lifted the suspension in 39 states. Mine is one of the 39 states. During the suspension, it wasn't clear what the actual data cap was for my plan as there really wasn't one. It only showed as suspended. So the 1.2TB cap has really caught many of us off guard. Plus I find it in poor taste to lift the pre-existing suspensions that were in place well before the pandemic at this moment when the pandemic is still around.

I also have Mediacom for Internet service at my vacation home. They've always had a data cap for the level of service I paid for prior to the pandemic. They suspended the data caps for a few months due to the pandemic and have lifted it some months ago. In this situation, it's slightly understandable that people shouldn't be complaining of the data caps being put back in place. But in the case of Comcast, it's inexcusable.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:30 AM   #36
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I forgot about YouTube. I watch a LOT of YouTube, just the regular account I don't pay for it. I think if I had to actually pay for it I would only keep Netflix, Prime and YouTube. Everything else I have because it's free and only use because there is typically 1 show on the service I want to see.

Also I noticed Disney and CBS don't release their series all at once like Netflix. I think it's probably because they know it's all they have to offer and people like me would signup for a month to binge that one series then cancel until next season.

As for xfinity I just went on there to check caps and it says "The usage meter is not available for your account at this time." Not sure if it's down or what, but honestly I have not had many issues with my xfinity internet. Had some issues getting it to work when we moved in like 10 years ago. They kept sending techs who would rewire the whole house over and over with no results. Finally they escalated to a higher up tech who said the issue was outside (something I'd been telling them from the start) and got it fixed asap. After that I don't recall any issues other than an outage here and there.

We run a lot of stuff and have never had any slow downs or anything like that. I think I have like a 100Mbps plan because my speed is usually 80-100Mbps when I test but I don't know for sure since I get the internet through HOA also. Data cap definitely concerns me though. Plus it seems these ISPs pretty much go with no competition as you can typically only get one provider in a given area.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #37
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I forgot about YouTube. I watch a LOT of YouTube, just the regular account I don't pay for it. I think if I had to actually pay for it I would only keep Netflix, Prime and YouTube. Everything else I have because it's free and only use because there is typically 1 show on the service I want to see.

Also I noticed Disney and CBS don't release their series all at once like Netflix. I think it's probably because they know it's all they have to offer and people like me would signup for a month to binge that one series then cancel until next season.

As for xfinity I just went on there to check caps and it says "The usage meter is not available for your account at this time." Not sure if it's down or what, but honestly I have not had many issues with my xfinity internet. Had some issues getting it to work when we moved in like 10 years ago. They kept sending techs who would rewire the whole house over and over with no results. Finally they escalated to a higher up tech who said the issue was outside (something I'd been telling them from the start) and got it fixed asap. After that I don't recall any issues other than an outage here and there.

We run a lot of stuff and have never had any slow downs or anything like that. I think I have like a 100Mbps plan because my speed is usually 80-100Mbps when I test but I don't know for sure since I get the internet through HOA also. Data cap definitely concerns me though. Plus it seems these ISPs pretty much go with no competition as you can typically only get one provider in a given area.
Interesting. I’m also in South FL and can see data usage vs. the cap in the Xfinity app.
Attached Images

01-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #38
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow that is slow. I do get 215 down but only about 9.5 up. So cloud backups take forever or if I'm using a vpn for work saving to the network is slow.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #39
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I’m also in South FL and can see data usage vs. the cap in the Xfinity app.
Interesting. What app is that? I got that message on the actual website. On the xfinity app I have I don't even see an option for Internet Usage.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #40
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
I have Comcast 1GB for $90/mo. 1 TB / mo. data limit (I guess 1.2 TB now per above). Need to call them to haggle every year though.
Quote:
Wow that is slow. I do get 215 down but only about 9.5 up. So cloud backups take forever or if I'm using a vpn for work saving to the network is slow.
Yep, welcome to Comcast. They charge what they want, where they want. Where the market is competitive they compete on price. Where the own the market they F you.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #41
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. What app is that? I got that message on the actual website. On the xfinity app I have I don't even see an option for Internet Usage.
Xfinity app, tap on Internet and then scroll down and tap on usage.
      01-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #42
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Xfinity app, tap on Internet and then scroll down and tap on usage.
Hmmm I get no such option under internet. Maybe because it's a bulk HOA plan?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #43
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm I get no such option under internet. Maybe because it's a bulk HOA plan?
Possibly if you don’t see this:
Attached Images

01-07-2021, 06:08 AM   #44
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

It looks like Comcast is offering unlimited data for $30 or $25 a month more, unclear which it is since I have seen both number it may have to do if you have other services.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/data
Appreciate 0