BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #2619
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Shoulders/biceps and my usually cardio pre and post. Not sure what I want to do as far as a goal goes. I feel so much better during my workout when I'm maintaining or cutting. When bulking I just feel so damn bloated. I workout first thing in the morning, so sometimes it is hard to get past the discomfort and push through my lift lol. Might just maintain for the time being. I like being lean for the holidays so I can gorge myself to my hearts content, so I'll probably start a small cut in a few weeks. Overall just pretty content at where I am. Right around 185, 5'10", maybe 12-14%BF nothing crazy but I'm quite comfortable here.
Dealing with the same right now as I'm gradually increasing calories. Techincally I'm still in cutting calories but can already feel the fluff starting to grow. I will say that I can feel my shoulders and chest growing also though. My skin feel tight around everything, but I can't stand that extra jiggle around my abs. I seem to operate much better in a cut for some reason. I'm able to monitor my calories and stick to it; but in a bulk I have the hardest time mentally with the extra weight that comes with building the muscle.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      10-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #2620
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Dealing with the same right now as I'm gradually increasing calories. Techincally I'm still in cutting calories but can already feel the fluff starting to grow. I will say that I can feel my shoulders and chest growing also though. My skin feel tight around everything, but I can't stand that extra jiggle around my abs. I seem to operate much better in a cut for some reason. I'm able to monitor my calories and stick to it; but in a bulk I have the hardest time mentally with the extra weight that comes with building the muscle.
Right the tough part is definitely mental when trying to gain. If you can get past that, eat like a freak, then you will grow, but unfortunately this growth is not limited to muscle. I've done cutting/bulking for years now, and have battled that time and time again. But at this point, and it has to do with my career as well, I feel like I am at a solid size professionally. If I start growing too much I don't like how my business clothes fit. I'm at this in-between size right now where a medium is much too small and a large can be baggy at times. This can be taken care of by wearing a large slim fit dress shirt, but to do so I need to keep my midsection lean. Such a pain in the ass lol. Don't even get me started on pants, need a 36 for the leg size but can probably fit in a 32. And before anyone asks no I'm not shelling out that much coin for a tailored suit lol.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #2621
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Right the tough part is definitely mental when trying to gain. If you can get past that, eat like a freak, then you will grow, but unfortunately this growth is not limited to muscle. I've done cutting/bulking for years now, and have battled that time and time again. But at this point, and it has to do with my career as well, I feel like I am at a solid size professionally. If I start growing too much I don't like how my business clothes fit. I'm at this in-between size right now where a medium is much too small and a large can be baggy at times. This can be taken care of by wearing a large slim fit dress shirt, but to do so I need to keep my midsection lean. Such a pain in the ass lol. Don't even get me started on pants, need a 36 for the leg size but can probably fit in a 32. And before anyone asks no I'm not shelling out that much coin for a tailored suit lol.
I battle with the exact same issues, but on the lower end considering I got as small as I did. I bulk, my clothes don't fit, I cut, my clothes don't fit. Funny, about mid-way through my cut or bulk, they seem to fit a little better. Back when I wore a suit and tie everyday, I could completely relate to this. I'm glad they started making slim fit dress shirts more commonly available. I'm also right there with you on shirt sizes. I jokingly complain about no one making an Extra Medium
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      10-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #2622
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Slim-fit dress shirts, now that has become a real joke. I remember when they first came to my attention, and I sought them out. Nowadays, I can't figure out who even wear a regular fit shirt. I'm by no means slim thru the waist, and not really all that HE-UGE across the shoulders. But I'm still always trying to figure out how to best fold a section of shirt to keep from fluffing in the wind.
On the pants, at least since no public is allowed in the building, I no longer have to wear even business casual. I've found that Carhart jeans has a 35 waist. AHHHH, the gods have shown their pleasure at my nearly 40 years of lifting!! OK, I have to wear a belt, but at least my thighs don't itch at eh end of the day.

UNFORTUNATELY, the doc told me yesterday the most vigorous exercise I'm allowed to perform now is < 30 on an eliptical, but he strongly recommends simple walking. Yet when I discuss my continued pattern of high glucose (2-300 fasting) unless I take a significant extra bolus of insulin, he doesn't have an answer. Since WC, I'm electing to actually follow his instructions, for now.
Appreciate 2
JP102462.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #2623
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Arms and abs today but still slightly modified due to the back bothering me. I've never done anything to my back before but it's a bitch. I'm going for another massage tomorrow.

As far as slim cut shirts and men. For those guys who look like stick poles it's great. My husband has broad shoulders so in slim fit he has to go up a size to fit his shoulders.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #2624
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Arms and abs today but still slightly modified due to the back bothering me. I've never done anything to my back before but it's a bitch. I'm going for another massage tomorrow.

As far as slim cut shirts and men. For those guys who look like stick poles it's great. My husband has broad shoulders so in slim fit he has to go up a size to fit his shoulders.
Dang that is tough about your back, hopefully you get it sorted out and it doesn't show it's head again.

Yeah I've accepted that dress shirts aren't made for those who workout, although I have been seeing some companies coming out with Athletic Fit. Which seems larger in the back/shoulder areas and tapers to the waist, best of both worlds. Only some Large Slim Fit shirts will fit me, depends how generous they are in the shoulder area, most feel like I am about to hulk out of them lol!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #2625
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Dang that is tough about your back, hopefully you get it sorted out and it doesn't show it's head again.

Yeah I've accepted that dress shirts aren't made for those who workout, although I have been seeing some companies coming out with Athletic Fit. Which seems larger in the back/shoulder areas and tapers to the waist, best of both worlds. Only some Large Slim Fit shirts will fit me, depends how generous they are in the shoulder area, most feel like I am about to hulk out of them lol!
In the same situation but a bit more difficult. Not only do I have broad shoulders and back with a small waist, I'm also tall. There used to be a store that had most of their clothing tailored to those that work out called Bachrach. I mourned when they closed up shop in my area. It was a place I could go in and just buy stuff off the rack without having to look for custom sizing.

This issue has extended to my riding gear for motorcycling. It's beyond me that pretty much all the major manufacturers do not have tall sizing. My first riding gear was from Joe Rocket. I had to buy quite a few sizes up for both the jacket and pants. The jacket wasn't too bad as I was able to adjust the waist a bit. The pants were ridiculous. I needed to go up a few waist sizes to get close to the length I needed for my legs to have them at least some what be covered by my riding boots. This meant the waist area was super baggy and looked as if I had dropped a load into my pants.

Fortunately, I ran across Rev It. I saw a guy at the track who was about my height. I asked if he had to get his suit custom made. He said no. Now I finally have a 2 piece riding suit which fits me without having to go custom one piece.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #2626
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Got in Wed. for some mild weight deep squats super setted with alternating dumbbell lunges (55lb. dbs), then some light RDLs coupled with leg curls.

I haven't done legs ina couple weeks due to travel. Here we are 2 days later and the lactic acid is killing me. I can't wait to get home to cry on the foam roller and then use the massage gun
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #2627
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
Got in Wed. for some mild weight deep squats super setted with alternating dumbbell lunges (55lb. dbs), then some light RDLs coupled with leg curls.

I haven't done legs ina couple weeks due to travel. Here we are 2 days later and the lactic acid is killing me. I can't wait to get home to cry on the foam roller and then use the massage gun
jump squats can be done anywhere and will help you maintain

Dress shirts are tough - but brooks bro's fit me best.

JP you're a 36 length at 5'10? That's for leg diameter size?

Anyone recommend a protein powder for bulking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #2628
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Starting the swimming season now that the weather is getting colder. Going from 20 miles +/- per week on the bike to 1/2 mile per week in the pool. I want to increase my distance to 3/4 mile per week. Doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s what I do. Plus several walks per week around the neighborhood.

Any swimmers in the house? Rec/fitness not competitive.
Looks like I'm at 2/3 of a mile without too much trouble. Hiking/biking this summer has helped with aerobic performance. I think I can make 3/4 of a mile a regular distance.

Fitbit says I am swimming 3 minutes per hundred yards, that seems in the ballpark. Slow, but it's my pace.

I lose interest after an hour of "exercise", so if I can knock out 3/4 of a mile in 45-60 minutes, that works for me. Then a dip in the spa and a hot shower on someone else's hot water bill! All for $5 per visit with no membership requirement.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #2629
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
jump squats can be done anywhere and will help you maintain

Dress shirts are tough - but brooks bro's fit me best.

JP you're a 36 length at 5'10? That's for leg diameter size?

Anyone recommend a protein powder for bulking?
Lol luckily not a 36 length at 5' 10", that would look quite disproportional. I wear 30 length, prefer them to be a little short rather then drag/bunch up. Usually have to buy 36 waist in order for my legs to fit. Probably a 32-34 waist depending on who makes them. I love everything about Brooks Brothers shirt except the price tag haha.

I prefer just a cheap protein for bulking that way I don't have heartburn using it throughout the day as I feel fit. MyProtein is my go to as I can usually get it for under $0.50 a serving. Anything over $0.50 a serving I stay away from, yeah I know I'm a cheap ass lol. But more seriously a lot of brands throw in a lot of added ingredients for no good reasoning. MyProtein is very basic and cheap.

Last edited by JP10; 10-26-2020 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #2630
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Lifted back/triceps yesterday, and shoulders/biceps today. Ate a ton on Sunday, so spent most of yesterday feeling like hell and bloated lol. Body is already just about back to normal. Weather around here is starting to get really nice for running, might start working out at home on the weekends and get some long runs in.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #2631
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm picking up (or I FEEL as if) too much fluff this early in to a bulk. In reality, I've 4 pounds. I spent my summer being able to see the veins in my obliques. Sadly they are disappearing. I despise the beginning stages of bulk.....but then ask me again in about a month when there's new/bigger bumps and I'm always full versus counting down the minutes until I can eat again.

I'm also getting to a place where my muscles are sore pretty much non-stop. I dig it though. What I hate, is when people at work ask me to help them lift heavy stuff, because they know I'm going the gym; but I'm constantly sore and picking up heavy shit at work is the last damn thing I want to do after some of my gym nights.

Bitching session over
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #2632
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm picking up (or I FEEL as if) too much fluff this early in to a bulk. In reality, I've 4 pounds. I spent my summer being able to see the veins in my obliques. Sadly they are disappearing. I despise the beginning stages of bulk.....but then ask me again in about a month when there's new/bigger bumps and I'm always full versus counting down the minutes until I can eat again.

I'm also getting to a place where my muscles are sore pretty much non-stop. I dig it though. What I hate, is when people at work ask me to help them lift heavy stuff, because they know I'm going the gym; but I'm constantly sore and picking up heavy shit at work is the last damn thing I want to do after some of my gym nights.

Bitching session over
I hear ya man, just need to push through. You really see the results after you start cutting post bulk. I love feeling sore lol, unfortunately my muscles are so damn conditioned that getting to a point of being really sore any more is difficult. I'd like to chalk it up to not trying hard enough, but I bust my ass every morning in there lol.

Fitness is just a struggle of endurance, the longer you're at it the better you will get as long as you stay after it. A lot of the guys I see in the gym are there each morning, but that is the bulk of it. Haven't seen any progression out of them over a years span. Makes me wonder what their goal is.

Leg day this morning, feeling like jello walking around work. Running out of snacks at home, starting to lean out as a result. I have a thought process that my fiance absolutely hates, if I eat majority of the snacks over a 1-2 day span then I'll lean out through the week. As result sometimes her snacks take some damage through the process lol.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #2633
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Yesterday I swam 0.8 miles (7 x 200yds) and will hold that distance for a while. It felt good.

Hiking 14ers in Colorado and weekly 10-20 mile bike rides this spring/summer have made the difference entering into the swim season, which for me is an autumn/winter activity.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #2634
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Have ya'll ever tried "stomach vacuum exercises"? I've tried them off/on throughout the years, but honestly don't know if they worked. Just looking for anyone else's opinion on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2PliOQHQ4c
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #2635
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yesterday seemed to be an off day all the way around at work. Leave work, head to the gym and the off day continued. At first, felt sluggish and sloppy. Really didn't want to be there but would have been upset with myself had I missed. Due to the overcompensation of mindset, I ended up decimating my shoulders last night. I normally don't get sore until 48 hours post work out. I instantly felt my shoulders this morning. As long as my skin feels like a t-shirt that is 2 sizes too small tomorrow, I'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #2636
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Got in the gym early today, around 4:45-5, that way I could get home an vote bright an early. Line was miserable. Regardless shoulder/bicep day went well although I felt a little rushed in there which I am not a fan of. Hate that it is getting cold, a little more difficult to get a mean pump, but that is what sweat shirts are for. Anyways tomorrow is leg day, looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #2637
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Does anyone have issues with left to right muscle proportion? I wouldn't say it is noticeable at all, but I notice it. At first my right bicep was falling behind my left. Now my right has caught up. Now I realize that my left tricep is falling behind my right, so need to balance that out. Note that I am strictly talking about size, strength is not my concern.

My main issue is with my quads. My left quad looks great (my opinion), nice and full with striations throughout. Where as my right quad really needs to be balanced out. I try single leg exercises because I fear my left leg takes a blunt of the work when doing things like squats/leg press/etc. I think it goes back two years from when I had sciatic nerve problems in my right leg. Still struggling to get it to match perfectly. Hoping to correct that over the next 5-6months, probably going to take a lot of work. Both legs function properly whether walking or running, so no concern there. Just a matter of balancing size.

Side note, this morning was leg day. Hence why my quads are probably on my mind haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 09:13 AM   #2638
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Question for you gents. Started my bulk the first week of October. Slowly increased calories until I got to where I'm just 300 calories over maintenance now. I did great all month long. My birthday was last week.....dinner with kids, dinner with the girlfriend, the girlfriend made a cake, friends stopped by a couple of days, drinks were had, etc. Long story long, I ate like a complete ass last week and picked up some fat that I don't want to carry for the next 3-4 months while on this bulk. I don't want to miss gains due to a calorie deficit and I'm already going to the gym 5 days a week hitting each group twice, I really don't want to go in (or have time to go) to the gym on my off days; but I'm not opposed to either. I also have the option of doing 15 min of cardio after weights, but again, I hate to miss gains. Any advice you guys can offer or should I just deal with it and see how I fair after the bulk and deal with the excess fat then?

Quote:
Does anyone have issues with left to right muscle proportion? I wouldn't say it is noticeable at all, but I notice it. At first my right bicep was falling behind my left. Now my right has caught up. Now I realize that my left tricep is falling behind my right, so need to balance that out. Note that I am strictly talking about size, strength is not my concern.

My main issue is with my quads. My left quad looks great (my opinion), nice and full with striations throughout. Where as my right quad really needs to be balanced out. I try single leg exercises because I fear my left leg takes a blunt of the work when doing things like squats/leg press/etc. I think it goes back two years from when I had sciatic nerve problems in my right leg. Still struggling to get it to match perfectly. Hoping to correct that over the next 5-6months, probably going to take a lot of work. Both legs function properly whether walking or running, so no concern there. Just a matter of balancing size.

Side note, this morning was leg day. Hence why my quads are probably on my mind haha.
Here! My right bicep is noticeably bigger than my left. I also notice when doing standing shoulder presses, that my left makes it to the top before my right. Only notice it when standing and using a barbell.

My abs are also staggered. I got the bad genes. It's all good though. I'd rather have bad genes and notice the uneven muscle versus not knowing at all. Uneven abs, I'll take them over no abs.

Last edited by King Rudi; 11-04-2020 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #2639
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
Question for you gents. Started my bulk the first week of October. Slowly increased calories until I got to where I'm just 300 calories over maintenance now. I did great all month long. My birthday was last week.....dinner with kids, dinner with the girlfriend, the girlfriend made a cake, friends stopped by a couple of days, drinks were had, etc. Long story long, I ate like a complete ass last week and picked up some fat that I don't want to carry for the next 3-4 months while on this bulk. I don't want to miss gains due to a calorie deficit and I'm already going to the gym 5 days a week hitting each group twice, I really don't want to go in (or have time to go) to the gym on my off days; but I'm not opposed to either. I also have the option of doing 15 min of cardio after weights, but again, I hate to miss gains. Any advice you guys can offer or should I just deal with it and see how I fair after the bulk and deal with the excess fat then?

Here! My right bicep is noticeably bigger than my left. I also notice when doing standing shoulder presses, that my left makes it to the top before my right. Only notice it when standing and using a barbell.

My abs are also staggered. I got the bad genes. It's all good though. I'd rather have bad genes and notice the uneven muscle versus not knowing at all. Uneven abs, I'll take them over no abs.
You're heading in the right direction so don't worry too much about the occasional drink or piece of pie.

Two things that have helped with bulking the past several months.

1) Go to failure and increase the weight every week.
2) Testosterone!

Over 50 I have seen noticeable gains once I did this. Always trick your body with intensity and increase the weight. 40/40/20 macro split is fine. Get your Protein in, drink plenty of water, sleep 8 hours, etc.

Always push for the next level with proper form and go to failure. Hope this helps. :cool!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #2640
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Rules of bulk is to just not worry about the excess gain. With that said, if it is bothering you I'd just add in a little cardio following your lifts for a week. After that the weight should have dwindled, then just pick back up where you left off. Long story short if you want to drop the weight work on it over a week span then increase your bulk duration by a week. Shouldn't be overly problematic.

As for the disproportion, like my self, it just sucks haha. Like I mentioned, I don't think mine is really noticeable to anyone but myself. It is still bothersome though. I know I can correct it to an extent, just going to take some time to do so haha. Boils down to muscle/mind connection, ensuring you are working each muscle equally (at least to the best of your ability). Just adding it to the list of goals for myself, can't have too many of those in regards to fitness imo.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00