BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Argiculture majors? Any money in it?

I need to change my major, and being a contracted ROTC Cadet I am only allowed to change it once. I was looking into agriculture majors. I was wondering if there is any money in this and or interesting jobs. I'd also like to know if this means I will be taking every science and math class under the sun for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
You could work for major sports teams. Being the head grounds keeper can bring in nice money for a major sports team and high end golf course. Even well kept properties, amusement parks(Disney), etc.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
You could work for major sports teams. Being the head grounds keeper can bring in nice money for a major sports team and high end golf course. Even well kept properties, amusement parks(Disney), etc.
What part of argiculture would that be? These are some of the choices:

Agribusiness Management

Agricultural Systems Management

Landscape Contracting: Design Option and Management Option

Turfgrass Science (stadiums?)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

depends on what kind of work you really want to get into, if you want to work for someone or start your own company. For the last 60 years my family has been the main egg producer and supplier for the entire west coast, they recently sold their company to land o lakes. All of this form a small company started in the 50's. So like i said depending on what you want to do there is money to be made.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
What part of argiculture would that be? These are some of the choices:

Agribusiness Management

Agricultural Systems Management

Landscape Contracting: Design Option and Management Option

Turfgrass Science (stadiums?)
Agribusiness would prolly put you in line with running a farm/winery.

Landscape contracting would be the upkeep and management of properties or if your good enough keeping places like Disney pretty for the design portion.

Turfgrass science would be just that. Managing stadium/athletic fields and upkeep of golf courses.

I'm just guessing but I had a friend that was friends with people in the agriculture field in general.

Also if you keep your eye out while driving around you'll notice this is a very flooded field. You don't need a degree to be a good landscaper, esp. if you don't get into the higher end of the spectrum. Very cut throat and seasonal depending on where you set up shop. Plan on snowplowing if your up north. My friend does landscaping in the summer, he told me his bosses business prolly would die if not for plowing in the winter.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agribusiness would prolly put you in line with running a farm/winery.

Landscape contracting would be the upkeep and management of properties or if your good enough keeping places like Disney pretty for the design portion.

Turfgrass science would be just that. Managing stadium/athletic fields and upkeep of golf courses.

I'm just guessing but I had a friend that was friends with people in the agriculture field in general.

Also if you keep your eye out while driving around you'll notice this is a very flooded field. You don't need a degree to be a good landscaper, esp. if you don't get into the higher end of the spectrum. Very cut throat and seasonal depending on where you set up shop. Plan on snowplowing if your up north. My friend does landscaping in the summer, he told me his bosses business prolly would die if not for plowing in the winter.
That doesn't sound too promising
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
That doesn't sound too promising
No, but the degree would def give you a leg up. My best friends dad runs a landscaping business. They upkeep several high school athletic fields, install sprinkler systems, and do custom landscaping for commercial and residential as well as the general seasonal landscaping stuff (mow lawns, mulch, snowplow, etc.). They pull in some very nice change.

It's obviously all about differentiating yourself in the field.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, but the degree would def give you a leg up. My best friends dad runs a landscaping business. They upkeep several high school athletic fields, install sprinkler systems, and do custom landscaping for commercial and residential as well as the general seasonal landscaping stuff (mow lawns, mulch, snowplow, etc.). They pull in some very nice change.

It's obviously all about differentiating yourself in the field.
Well I'm not busting my ass in school to do manual labor so I guess I'm picking the wrong field.
Appreciate 0