BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

03-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
jjanthony
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

Problem with '06 E61 wagon tailgate

So my wife's 530xi wagon's tailgate started acting up...it latches upon closing but then there is an extra "pull" from the hydraulic system that puts everything out of alignment. Dealer says I need a whole new hydraulic system and is quoting $2k!

Anyone encounter this? Can the tailgate/liftgate be converted to manual?

help!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
will2010
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 Touring 3.0TD

E61 Touring power tailgate

Hi, my power tailgate acting weird as it sometimes open and sometime don't. When opened, it is stuck at lowest open height which hard to access. When press button, it open further up and then causing the alignment not in place for the signal to captured and it all failed to close after that/. Any suggestion to fix that?

My case is quite similar to :
JJanthony

Thks for help
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
gsodonis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi Wagon 6sp MT

Bad News, Gents

I hate to break the bad news to you, but all of us BMW wagon owners with auto lift gates are experiencing the same problem - and the fix is $$$$.

The socket of the lift cylinder is worn out. Over time, moisture gets into that socket and begins to corrode and wear the steel ball stud (that fits into the socket and holds the lift cylinder in place). The socket is aluminum, softer than the stud and wear presents itself as a larger and larger socket. Once the wear is bad enough, the metal circlip that helps hold the socket on the stud can't do so and the lift cylinder begins to pop off. What you are experiencing in exactly what I had happen.

The true fix is the replacement of the lift cylinder. Over $900 plus labor. Probably another $700 - $900 in labor (6 - 8 hours).

Before you do that, try replacing the ball stud with a new one. The bad one is probably worn and a bit smaller. A new ball stud is only around $9. This might work, it might not.

Another alternative is to replace the lift cylinder altogether with two manual gas springs from the 530xi wagon the year before. The cylinders are around $80 each. You do have to have the old one removed, however, and that's no small task.

I'm working on a fix that would require drilling and tapping a small hole in the side of the lift cylinder socket that would allow the insertion of a brass tipped set screw. The brass tip would effectively 'close' the opening just enough for the cylinder socket to not pop off the stud. Done right, you won't have to remove the cylinder from the car but this won't be for the beginner. You'll need a decent drill, tap and general mechanical skillset.

I think I may just create a repair kit and make some $$ off of BMW's poor design.

Good luck gents - you are not alone.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
jadedj
United_States
Rep
Drives: E61

Anything further with this? Can anyone else comment on how this went?
Appreciate 0